Dimebag.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Fretwreck, Mar 10, 2018.

1. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

My thoughts exactly.

There's not any meaningful difference between "seeming" racist or "pretending" to be racist and actually being it.

2. groverj3

Aaaaannnyyy waaaaayyyy...

CFH is a great album. Can't say I like any of their others.

Obviously Dime was a good player.

3. groverj3

I should add that I think I heard this once, not that I know it was said.

4. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

Dime never said one racist thing on the record, or in person AFAIK...and Phil’s downward plight was becoming unbearable for the rest of the band the last few years especially. It doesn’t mean I have to fault Dime, or the band as a whole. A band like Lynyrd Skynyrd would get roasted nowdays (how did Duck Dynasty make it??)...anyway, I don’t think Dean needs to reissue any Dime models being that CL and every pawn shop is chock full of the existing Dime guitars -no offense but they were kind of a novelty and the higher end models which were expensive and actually nice weren’t hot sellers with the budget minded shredder kids. Once the younger crowd grew up over 20-25 yrs those guitars kinda went the way of the BC Rich beast. The USA Washburns were really the nicest of ‘em all...I’m sure at some point they’ll re-release some “anniversary” Dime models...?

groverj3 and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  5. NateFalcon

732B9E5F-ADC2-465B-8283-5A2B7AF5B534.jpeg I wouldn’t mind one of these...at $5000-$6000 though, it’ll have to wait a while

Sammy J, IGC, drmosh and 3 others like this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

5-6k? Yeah, hard pass on that shit.

groverj3, Smoked Porter and Hollowway like this.
  7. NateFalcon

Yeah...the USA ones have shot up big time the last ten years...they were a badass investment for the few who own one, apparently. I could’ve bought one for $1500 about 8-9 years ago- wish I would’ve. I had a hard time shelling out for my Prestige’s...that’s collector shit

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

While my personal stereotype of a Nickelback fan is less than complimentary...

My personal stereotype of a Pantera fan is the warehouse temp that's always having car trouble keeping him from coming in so he can't pay his child support and he always talks about high school and you think how the hell long ago was this dude in high school

mongey, groverj3, Vyn and 2 others like this.
  9. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

Dime was/is an icon. His style, riffs, gear, all of it were his own and that is a rare breed. There is no mistaking Dime.

10. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

DiezelMonster and Hollowway like this.
  11. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Fixed.

fixedpic.jpg

watson503 likes this.
  12. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Dime will forever be a legend, and Pantera will always be in my top 5 favorite bands of all time, if not top 2.

NickS likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

I love pretty much all of Pantera's albums. Pantera was a huge influence for me when I was first learning guitar. I still play Walk and Cemetery gates pretty regularly, same with some of dime's riffs from damageplan. Nickelback is fucking trash other than the dark horse album, which is tolerable.

Spaced Out Ace and NickS like this.
  14. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Learned to use my pinky from a vid of his when I first started playing. He stressed how important it was to start out that way.

Never liked his tone, but he could rip, was always super clean, and had swagger.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Fixed that for ya.

wat, NickS and ArtDecade like this.
  16. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

this is heavy af

17. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Yep. He was an innovator. I can't even remember how I ended up with Vulgar, but I expected it to just be OK. I was like "Holy cow! This guy's amazing!"

Then 10k bands used them as their sole influence and I started to tire of it. I think that stole a bit of the magic.

But that harmonic on Cemetery Gates will never be equaled. I think it's the best single note ever played on a guitar.

18. chipchappy

chipchappy SS.org Regular

I often think about what would've happened had Dime not been murdered.

I think it's pretty obvious some sort of reunion would've happened, but would it have sounded good? Dime probably could've held his own, for sure... but Phil sounds like complete shit now (which works great for Superjoint, I might add), Vinnie is still unsuccessfully trying to play drums in Hellyeah, and Rex is just as useless as he ever was. Would it have been good? Would it be worth it? It's kind of negligible seeing as it would've been an enormous cash cow for these guys (See: Guns N' Roses)

During the interview with Phil at the college in New Orleans, he briefly speculated that had Dime not been attacked, he would've most likely had serious health ramifications from all the drinking and less-than-healthy diet. I happen to think that's a pretty fair thought to have. Dime was fucking awesome - no doubt, but he raged harder than most kids that went to my college in northern New Hampshire, and he was almost in his 40's when he passed away.

Then again, Phil's still alive... somehow :scratch:

ANYWAY - these are just things I ponder sometimes while sitting on the toilet in the wee hours of the morning before work. Some other fans of Pantera are of the opinion that "DUDE they would've reunited and it would've been awesome!" - yeah but, like, would it really though?