Did you know that Cradle of Filth is good now?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by vilk, Jun 10, 2018.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I listened to a lot of Cradle when I was a young teenager, but they had already kinda gotten crappy before I finished high school. Nymphetamine was disappointing and then I abandoned the band when Thornography came out. Didn't think about them for a decade, even kinda forgot about their old albums which even though I listened to they were never my very favorite, playing around on YouTube just now their 2015 album has some cool Satanic/Pagan artwork, I put it on... Holy shit, this is way fucking better than even their old albums! How funny and rare for a band's magnum opus to be the 11th freaking album :lol: though it's not the original members, but they got full on shred virtuoso style guitar solos that are fantastic. Each next song on the album is awesome, never loses steam. The bass tone is my favorite, I need to get this bass tone. Is that an active humbucker you think?

Hammer of the Witches, album by Cradle of Filth, the band that took 25 years to be awesome.

2. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I liked Damnation and a Day and some of Nymphetamine back when I was like 16. I also stopped listening to them when Thornography sucked. A couple years ago I actually saw some ads that Paul Allender had up in Minneapolis looking for a bass player for his new band and I briefly thought about auditioning. This new stuff sounds pretty good, but I'm so far removed from Symphonic Blackmetalite at this point that even if this is a 10/10 I probably wouldn't listen to it more than 3-4 times.

3. IGC

IGC OCDG

Midian was my fav. - not that the guitar was virtuoso but the writing was somehow captivating. Enjoyed cradle to enslaved "making of vid" but didn't really like any of their other stuff, this is like for ever ago...
    Deflowering the maidens lyrics- about humanitys impact on maiden mother earth blew my mind!

4. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Still can't take Dani's modern vocals. They were somewhat more tolerable on the old albums.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Cradle are a band that I really like but don't like any albums apart from Cruelty and the Beast, just one or two songs off each. I didn't like the last album but the previous one had this gem which is one of my fav songs by them.

My favourite track by them is this rather unknown one.

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah right, he sounded like the Wicked Witch of the West on Dusk and Her Embrace! The high-pitched shrieks are still as annoying as ever, though.

This isn't anything earth-shaking to my ears. It's far more tolerable than the old stuff, but I never listened to them besides TDAHE and whatever their first major studio one was. I made it through the first song only - it was way too damn long for how much content was in it.

I dunno what to think about the bass tone. I'm 100% inept at identifying gear used. I think the tone stands out for how much it DOESN'T stand out. It's nice hearing someone that's not trying to add some kind of saw-edged distortion and/or treble to the edges of the tone to ensure that you hear that phat evul bass through/over the guitars at all times. It's just consistent, non-flashy fingerstyle bass and that's OK! It reminds me of the old days.

7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I still have issues forgiving them for this...

IGC likes this.
  8. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Never been a huge CoF fan, but I do enjoy the spooky vibes from time to time, and find myself returning to some songs here and there. Recently saw a playthrough of a song from their new album and thought the guitar work was really interesting! Never thought I'd see hybrid picking in a BM song. Starts around 21:15.

9. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Count me in among the people that loved them in their teens and fell off the wagon when Thornography hit. I still listen to Midian, Cruelty, and Damnation regularly when the songs come on and Damnation and a Day is still one of my top 10 albums, and Midian would be too if the guitar tone was better I think. I saw they came out with a new album recently and it sparked my curiosity, glad to hear they're back to being good. I'll have to give this a try.

10. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

Hammer was cool, but they're newest album(well it came out last summer) is the real fucking killer.

They're also supposed to release a remixed version of Cruelty this year which will be cool because that's my favorite album.

vilk likes this.
  11. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Cruelty and the Beast and Dusk and Her Embrace are all-time classics to me, but I think the last few albums starting with Godspeed on the Devil’s Thunder are all pretty solid.

12. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

I only discovered CoF when Thornography came out, so that's the album I have nostalgia for. This whole thread has me feeling personally attacked lol.

cwhitey2 and BIG ND SWEATY like this.
  13. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

COF stinks. Not a personal attack.
    Matt794 stinks. A personal attack.

The difference is subtle, I know.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

lol I think he understands that, he's just saying he hadn't anticipated that everyone hates his favorite CoF album so badly. Doesn't read like an accusation of rule violation, dudeman was just surprised. (sorry to put words in anyone's mouth)

15. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

He probably just means he loves the album so much that he feels like a part of him was attacked, or something. Or what Vilk said! I take it personally if some things I love are hated, and I know how dumb it is!

16. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Is this even the same band? Damn. They've really stepped it up with this.

17. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

I was actually trying to say you are all cyber bullies for having musical tastes that aren't identical to mine, but we're splitting hairs at this point haha.

I also listened to the album vilk started this thread for, and I gotta agree that it's a banger. Only think that I'm not crazy about is the synth, which seemed a little out of place in a few tracks.

18. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Rich Shaw is a monster player, don't know the other chap.

There's also an ex-CoF guitarist on the forums. I won't spoil the surprise if you don't know who it is. :uk:

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I'll have to give this a listen when I get the chance. I was a big fan back in the 90's, and Cruelty and the Beast is still one of my favourite albums ever. But I haven't kept up with their work in probably over a decade. I think I even have their movie on VHS somewhere in storage!

20. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Pretty cool... even cooler if it's Gian Pyres.:mf666: