Did you finally get the gear/rig you always wanted? Lets see it. Acquired dream gear.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by purpledc, Sep 13, 2017.

1. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Instead of a normal NGD thread. I thought I would shake it up a tiny bit. You see this isn't just a NGD for me. This was a drastic leap in quality and sound and I honestly didn't think it would happen. It really is my dream rig. So it got me curious as to whether or not anyone else finally got their dream rig after a long wait. So please share your story on your dream rig. The only rule is you have to have acquired your setup or it has to be on your way. These are for the success stories. Pics are very much encouraged.

So with amps and cabs I have mostly stayed true to tubes. I think the furthest I went off the rails was a few modeling amps when they first came out and recently I was using a spidervalve MKII. But in between I had several awesome amps including but not limited to, Engl Invader, Mesa Mark V, Dual Rect, Krank rev, Krankenstein, Carvin V3, V3m,legacy 2, X100b, Marshall DSL, TSL (orginal 2001 year versions) 6505+,6534, 5153 (50 & 100), Genz Benz diablo and the list goes on and on. I LOVED every single amp. For about a month or two.

I just get bored. And with my limited income I cant afford to keep a large collection of high end amps. I ended up compromising (a lot) and got a spidervalve MKII. But it just doesn't have the nuance, feedback and dynamics of a really good Tube amp. It had monster volume and punch seeing it had a full tube power section. But I got the impression the tubes in the preamp section have minimal effect except to complete the circuit. So after doing a bunch of side by side videos between the AX8 and kemper I blind bought the profiler. I have had it a little over 1 month and it really and I have not stopped smiling since. I can crank it up through my headphones at night. Crank it through the recto cab during the day and I have a dedicated laptop for rig manager. It really is Christmas every day. I can find a sound for any mood I am in at that moment and the sound I get blows the doors off the spidervalve. The noise gate alone was worth the two thousand I spent on it.

I just never thought I would own a good amp again. I sold my Mark V a couple years ago for an invader. I ended up keeping and regretting the invader purchase. What really pisses me off is I had both amps side by side and could have just sold the engl but no, I convinced myself that it was the amp I needed I just needed to spend more time with it. I hated the engl. It just had no character. So I sold it and got the SVMKII. Instead of a good amp I got a couple guitars and went with the cheap but versatile amp. Bad Idea. Then I sorta got locked into that as my expendable income didn't allow for a $2000 investment in a better head and selling my guitars at that point wasn't happening as I just got them. Had some recent good fortune and I just am so happy that after the last 3 years of playing the line 6 I finally had the opportunity to not only get a new better amp, but that I was able to buy my absolute dream amp and not owe a dime on it. I seriously look at it and shake my head everyday in disbelief. And my recent guitar is like a huge cherry on that sundae.

DREAMRIG.jpg

So what piece of gear did you finally acquire that you never thought possible?

wakjob, Drezik27, takotakumi and 5 others like this.
  2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It's funny you say "dream gear" because I'm sure at least half (if not more) of people playing out there, end up with rigs they never really thought about having.

By that I mean that when I first stated out, the 'dream rig' of most guys I knew was just a Marshall head & a 4x12 cab because that's more or less all there was out there. As the years go on though, more & more amps & pedal makers started popping up. So what often ends up happening is people buy amps/effects that they find a really good deal on and it 's so good that they needn't bother with the expensive gear.
    Personally, when I was playing bass, I really wanted to get a Mesa Carbine bass head but they were literally 3 times more than what I could afford. In the end, I got a MarkBass LMII head along with a Tech 21 VT bass pedal and it was literally 'the sound in my head' tone. I never really thought about either of them previously but when I tried them out in the store, I never gave the Mesa a second thought.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

My rig is my dream rig in the sense that it's letting me pursue my dream of being a touring band member. It's not cheap, it's not super expensive, and it works well for what I do with it.

Spinedriver, Aso and purpledc like this.
  4. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby SS.org Regular

Guitar wise, yes.

Amp wise, I don't know.

I have an Axe FX II, and it seems like it can do anything, but I also still have 2 tube amps that I use, too. Maybe I need a Kemper and a Helix, too?

purpledc likes this.
  5. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

details?

6. budda

'83 JCM800 2203 CSA model (metal toggle)
    Orange PPC412
    2006 PRS Custom 22 wraptail
    PRS S2 singlecut Satin

Pedaltrain PT-2HC
    Powered by a Voodoo Labs 4x4

Boss TU-3
    MXR Micro-POG
    MXR Micro amp
    Fulltone OCD
    Strymon Timeline
    Strymon BigSky
    Keeley Caverns (v1)
    EQD Afterneath

and obviously wiring it all up.

[​IMG]

Deadpool_25, USMarine75 and purpledc like this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Partially.
    A 1967-style flying V, a Phase 9(5), MXR Flanger, Digitech Whammy, Boss Slicer, MXR Analog Chorus, and a Roland JC120 (that needs to be serviced :lol:)

purpledc likes this.
  8. purpledc

Very nice. That's a grail amp. I totally hear you on a good but not super expensive rig. none of my guitars breach the $1400 mark. I can get by with that.

9. purpledc

I wish I could have spent less and been happy. I just didn't like anything in this category as much as this. I was either the kemper or another mark V as that was the only amp I would have re bought and nothing newer than that even interested me. Its the first time I feel truly content with my rig. Plus I LOVE that I will never need to buy another set of tubes again.

10. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I'm finally and officially free from GAS!

Obviously that's not entirely true. There will likely always be something out there that I'd love to have but for now... after many years of trying and owning new guitars and pedals, I'm now satisfied. I unfortunately don't have my dream tube-head/ cab but I'm satisfied enough with the amp that I do have, that I'm not actively looking to upgrade anytime soon. So anyway... out of a lot of guitars and pedals that I've owned over the years, here is my forever-family:

GUITARS:

Schecter Blackjack SLS C1 w/ Sustaniac/ SD Full Shred
    Fender AmStd Stratocaster w/ SD SSL-5 & CS Fat 50's
    Gibson SG HP w/ 490R/ 498T
    PRS SE Custom 24 AP-Exclusive
    Schecter Hellraiser Solo II w/ Brimstone pickups
    PRS Custom 22 SC semi-hollow w/ PRS #7 pickups
    Carvin DC700 Koa w/ Kiesel Lithium's
    Reverend Airwave 12-string w/ P-90's
    Jackson Soloist X-series 7-string w/ 85/ 81 EMG's
    Jackson King V w/ SD JB/ '59 combo
    Ibanez SRC 6-string bass w/ EMG 35HZ passives
    Taylor 150 a/e 12-string w/ ES-2 electronics
    Taylor 100-series 6-string acoustic

PEDAL CHAIN:

TC Ditto Mini Looper
    Flux Effects Liquid Ambiance Reverb
    TC HOF II Reverb
    TC Flashback II Delay
    Boss CE-5 Chorus
    Mod Tone Harmonic Tremor Tremolo
    MXR Phase 95 phase
    EHX Bad Stone phase
    Behringer 700 EQ
    Boss BD-2 OD
    EHX Soul Food OD
    MXR Full Bore Metal Distortion
    Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q Wah
    TC Polytune tuner

*** I've got more guitars and pedals than what I've listed here but at least for now, this is all that I need... for now lol.

Family pix of the guitars and pedals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Out of the 50 or so guitars, 10 amps, 60 pedals, etc that I own... I'd say one of the best happy-ending stories is my scoring this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was browsing the PRS forums and found this had been for sale and sold about 5 years ago. So I posted a comment asking him to contact me if the buyer ever wanted to part ways with it... and behold, he acted as the go-between and made the deal happen. A PRS semi-hollow, with the right color, trem, 408 + Fralin pickups, and Brent Mason electronics! I couldn't have spec'd this guitar any better as to what is perfect for me.

* Shout out to Brian's Guitars in CT! *:cheers:

12. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I scored my EVH 5150 IIIS at an unbelievable deal. It does everything I want it to tonally. So yeah, in that aspect I've acquired at least some dream gear.
    [​IMG]

13. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I'm not sure I HAVE "dream gear" anymore. I mean, when I started playing, Hetfield was god, and I lusted after an EMG loaded ESP Explorer. Stumbled on to a slightly beat up Gibson Explorer (84?86?88....can't remember, but serial indicated it was somewhere from those years)someone had routed out and installed an Ibanez edge on, had Dimarzio x2n's in for $250 in early 96. Wasn't EXACTLY what I lusted after, but at that price, I said "Still an Explorer, and close enough.....". A year later, when I finally got some serious time with an EMG loaded EXP, I discovered I liked my "close enough" better. It was a bit of a revelation for me.

Ever since then, that's sorta been how it goes: "Dream gear" for me is now a "concept I'd like to get into the ballpark of" deal.

14. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

That is such a great amp! It is literally the king of all 5150 amps IMO... and I own or have owned all of them (except that one), including one with $2k worth of mods. I played one for several hours and almost traded the guy my KPA on the spot. Enjoy!

Blytheryn likes this.
  15. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I couldn't agree more. I played one first a few years ago in high school and it just shook me. Wouldn't have been able to score it if it weren't for the great guys at my local music store. This amp is one of those rare cases where you literally don't need to do a thing to the raw tone to have an absolutely insane tone. I plug straight in and rip, unless go I go HM2 mode.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    USMarine75 likes this.
  16. budda

I don't even look at it as a grail amp, but that's mostly because the guys I know with 800's own the same one :lol:.

I always look at the reasonably priced well made import models of something, and then find myself buying a used high end version of that guitar. I've had an MIM strat and a US deluxe tele, I've had a few SE's and an artist PRS - really the only brand I didn't "level up" on was ESP/LTD.

I'm quite happy to say that the S2 line from PRS has me very excited and that I plan on getting more of them (at least one).

The funny part about buying gear based on how it's going to be used in the band is this: I don't just buy something because I like it or I have GAS or whatever. It has to make a lot of sense, because I can't afford to throw another $1800 at a guitar or $1200 on a head or $450 on a pedal - I wouldn't be able to eat or pay my bills if I did. Luckily I did those things relatively early on :lol:

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I once saw this Ken Lawrence explorer online and thought it was perfect, so I wrote Ken and asked, "hey, could I order like exactly this thing?" Unfortunately he said that olive ash burl top piece one a "once in a lifetime" kind of wood, he had built two with it, and probably would never see another piece again. Bummer. But I decided to order one anyway since I had just finished an internship and was flush with cash :)

Fast forward to like 2 years into the build, I saw the owner list it for sale for a couple days, then have a change of heart and pull the ad. I was chatting with him and was like, c'mon, we know how this works -- if it goes up once it goes up again! I was fortunate enough to snag it after that. It's gigantic and somewhat uncomfortable and has a gloss neck, but it's still like the last thing I'd get rid off. Not as good as Ken's pics but you get the idea:

[​IMG]

I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag and also mention I recently got dream acquisition #2, Chris Broderick's LACS RGA 7:

[​IMG]

Have to love it when artists change company affiliations :) Unfortunately UK customs changed and it's been stuck at Amaral's house in the US for like half a year :-/

But I like that both these guitars were like gawked at me for years, in saved pics on my desktop, and now I actually own them. It's pretty crazy -- everything winds up for sale at some point.

18. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

So what's the "good enough" amp/cab you were referring to?

19. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Too many lol... PRS Custom 50, Soldano Hot Rod 25, Boogie Mark Five/ 35, Bogner Mephisto. As far as cabs... don't really have a favorite.

mikah912 likes this.
  20. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    cGoEcYk likes this.