Decent fretless 6 string bass under $800?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Gmork, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

looking for suggestions for a decent fretless 6 string bass under $800. or fanned fretless 6 string. thanks:metal:

2. akinari

akinari no change, only age

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

He said decent. :lol:

Hit the used market for Carvins, Peavey Cirrus and DynaBass, Yamaha TRB, Aria Steve Bailey, and Cort A and Curbow models. There are plenty out there and a great instruments.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

The pics look decent enough to make a stab at it for the price :2c:

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Those Douglas aren't awful, but you will have to rip out the electronics, replace the nut, and rework the fretboard.

If he was looking under $400 it would be a contender, but having worked on and owned a few Douglas/Brice basses there are much better, ready to go options well with the OP's price range.

If someone asked for a Strat under $800 would you first recommend a Peavey Rockmaster Pack?

6. Alex Kenivel

Which sounds like a fun project! But of course I was only really commenting on how it looks and the price. I had just never noticed those before.

7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

i actually WAS hoping for the cheapest possible (without being a total waste of money. the rondo wob826 6 string fretless actually has a lot of good reviews. most people say it just needs to be set up which i can do myself. doesnt look half bad either. so the rondo actually might end up being what i get. depending on brand i might be able to finance one which is why i was asking for up to $800.$ 800 IS kind of pushing it honestly.

8. Alex Kenivel

Just hope you don't get a damaged one if you do. You won't be able to return it.

9. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

This goes for any Rondo guitar. I have three of them (2 guitars, 1 bass). You have to put another $200 into them to make them shine.

I bought a SX J-bass in 2008 and its still my only bass. I say go for the Douglas. You can send it back no questions asked if you dont want it.

Are you talking about Rondo? They have an excellent return policy and customer service.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/returns.html

10. asleepinthestarsmusic

asleepinthestarsmusic SS.org Regular

I will second finding a used Carvin. You really can't beat the value on these if you can find one used.

I bought a used fretless 6 string carvin several years ago for about $400 on talkbass. What a bargain...the instrument sounded amazing.

11. Alex Kenivel

Edit: didn't realize they had the same policy for Canada as they do the US

12. Systolic

Systolic Active Member

Warwick Rockbass Corvette 6 Fretless

13. Michael_Ten

Michael_Ten blergh yas

Used Schecter Stiletto Studio 6? They're only $839 USD here in the states... not sure how much for Canada, tho. I have the fretted version and it's pretty good.

14. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

ended up going with the ibanez sr375f fretless 5 string. im kind of an ibanez fanboy,
    i should have realized id just end up with one lol. only gripe is that i wish it didnt have
    any fret lines or dots on the front of the neck but other than that its awesome.
    [​IMG]

15. KBurks

KBurks SS.org Regular

How do you like the SR375F so far? I'm picking one up in the next few weeks, and there's not much available online as far as feedback and whatnot goes...

16. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Well i thought it had no fret lines and no dots but when i saw it in person i realized i got model mixed up but got it anyway. I've come to realize that I'm glad it has the fretlines/dots as it helps a lot. I've been a guitarist for over 20 years but a fretless bass is a whole different beast. Figure someday when it makes sense I'll get one with a blank neck. Anyway, on to the short review. I've never owed a bass that was worth mentioning so i don't have much to compare it to but i can still safely say that it is pretty amazing imo. I'm running it through a genz Benz shuttle 6 and Yorkville 4x10 and it sounds absolutely beautiful to my ears. I pretty much keep my eq flat with just a little mid boost and finger pick above the neck rather than the pickups. Sounds SO smooth. Have only owed it for a handful of days but it has literally put a chill down my spine and a smile to my face. No joke. Maybe its just because for years and years I've the LOVED fretless sound. The eq on the bass are very usable. And are flat at half way so you can cut or boost the bass, mid and treble. My fingers still need to get use to fretting bass strings. Thinking about getting flatwound. Not really are though. I play tech death metal btw but find myself just trancing out playing weird jazzy Egyptiany stuff lol. Originally i wanted a 6 string but have come to realize that 5 string works well for me, for now ;) . So i highly advise you to get one. Almost went with the rondo but am beyond happy i went with Ibanez. God i love inlbanezs :)

17. House74

House74 Perfect Djentleman

Though I have never played the fretless version, I have one of these basses fretted, and it is an awesome instrument, I would second this vote for sure. Plus it just looks gorgeous in the honey satin color with that bubinga top :)

EDIT: Also, I picked mine up used for $312 USD out the door in excellent condition