Dave Mustaine and his pickups - Over The Years

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Yash94, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Yash94

Yash94 SS.org Regular

He uses the whammy bar in wake up dead, watch rude awakening :)

2. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

That was a good read !

Mike

Yash94 likes this.
  3. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

I have an L500XL that I bought sometime around 97' or 98' from Stew Mac. It was installed in a POS Jackson PS-4 that I decided some years later that it would be a project guitar, but I never did anything with it. It's in pieces. Still have the Bill Lawrence though, but it's not installed in anything. If I recall I think originally Dime had them in the neck too, but then he ended up switching to a 59'.

4. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Definitely not trolling here, but I really don't get what the deal is with the hate on the Thrash Factor set. I heard his Thrash Factor tone and I honestly feel it sounds fine for what he's doing. And honestly, he still has two signature sets, so that's still good on him. I wouldn't really call him an outright liar because you technically have to really praise the brand you have an endorsement deal with, and honestly, he's pretty old, so whatever he's gone through has done a number on him anyway, which means maybe he might have some memory problems or something along those lines, so I wouldn't rate him that harsh (yes, I know about his drugs and alcohol problems he had to go through). Not saying he's a saint by any stretch of imagination, but I wouldn't really peg him for a liar either. I honestly think his tone is pretty close to what I hear on the albums anyway. Just with a bit more gain and treble, which I don't blame him for because, well, maybe he's just used to dialing that much gain. I know I dialed a lot more gain in some tracks vs some others and then I learned my lesson.

WintermintP

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018 at 1:02 AM
  5. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

The thrash factor tone is horrendous. It sounds like a swarm of angry bees.

Not really sure why you're trying to defend him by pointing out he has signature gear. Sure he does. It doesn't mean it's good gear, surely after seeing the whole fiasco with Bulb's pedal endorsements play out on this forum you know that?

And this isn't about whether his memory is shot. It's about the fact he routinely jumps ship to new companies and talks down the old ones while talking up the new. It's about how he endorses products he clearly doesn't give a shit about (Like that Digitech pedal), and doesn't use. (Like the Axxion).

Having a poor memory doesn't at all excuse the primary complaint - which is that what Dave says about his own gear is clearly dictated by how much money it will make him. He's not the first and won't be the last - have you seen some of the quotes from Ynwgie, when he switched to Seymour Duncan? Same shit, different artist.