Dark Tower teaser/trailers are out.

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by KnightBrolaire, May 2, 2017.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I read the first four books (the fifth wasn't even out yet back when I was a Stephen King fan) and have good memories of at least 2-4, but I don't really know if I want to re-read them so I can read the infamous last three. It seems like they are very...controversial!

One of my major synesthesia memories was reading Wizard and Glass while listening to the Smashing Pumpkins - Adore album a lot. Those two really tied in for me!

2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have about the last few turds Uncle Stevie wrote - Though, admittedly, I didn't read "Wind Through the Keyhole."

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Didn't miss a god damn thing. I don't think I've ever been that disappointed with a sequel/addition to the world-building like with WttK.

4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Can't see it being worse than the 7th book.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I didn't mind any of the books, but I also had them all at once; whereas for other readers, they had to wait between them, so it had the potential for massive letdown after years of waiting (like some other authors *cough*Martin*cough*)

But WttK bored me to tears and I wondered what the point of even writing it was

6. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Yeah sorry the whole concept seems to just be getting pushed to cover them not actually adapting the books and throwing random pieces together. I'm honestly not sure if King is just so excited to see this finally hitting the screen that he is ignoring the inadequacies or if he has a royalty deal on the box office...

Sorry being time looped with the Horn of Eld doesn't change your heritage (both race and being a descendant of King Arthur) and give you magical glowing guns :rofl:

Fortunately It, Bladerunner 2049, and Alien Covenant all looking awesome is somewhat softening the disappointment of this looking terrible.

7. wankerness

I'm kinda looking forward to alien covenant. I read a couple good reviews and I think I'm going to avoid reading any more to avoid souring myself (or hyping myself up too much).

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

yeah I've been hearing a lot of good things about it. I'm pretty excited for it.

9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Not sure what to make of the new trailer, it doesn't feel very Dark Tower/Stephen King at all, everything looks off and overly simplified like they've turned into an action packed superhero good vs evil film.

10. wankerness

The trailers look terrible. But, who knows. I remember the trailers for Batman Begins looking bad, I remember thinking it was going to be a really awful movie. It COULD surprise us? (probably not)

11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

And King announced the run time is 95 minutes... this just keeps getting less epic by the minute :lol:

12. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

The first review I saw gave this epic adventure a 1/5 and called it "a wasted turd" or something like that. Just as expected.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

bloody disgusting said it's a huge waste of time. Basically all the fight scenes/ good jokes are in the trailer and roland is the only interesting character in the film.

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Its no surprise that this is tanking in its opening weekend with a rating of around 16-19% on rotten tomatoes. From the reviews I've watched and read it sounds like a complete mess. The trailers were also meant to be very misleading and if you haven't read the books you will be very confused. They could have easily just worked The Gunslinger into a movie instead of trying to make their own 8 books into 1 version.