D'Addario NYXL

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MoshJosh, Feb 6, 2015.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Holy hell do these strings not hold tune at all for me.

Do they have a really long break in time or something?

They seem to wobble all over the place. And the low B is really weird, it says it's in tune on the tuner but then sounds out of tune when I play. I don't know if I got a bad string or something, I've never had this happen before.

They're also darker than the year-old set of elixirs I took off which is weird. I put the low B of the year-old elixir back on and confirmed it - old elixir was brighter and clearer. It also held tune better.

I wish I didn't buy two sets now as they're only a couple pounds cheaper than elixirs. I have a set waiting for my 8 when my new pickup comes :(

Hopefully this is just a bad set or something and those ones work better.

2. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I've never had any of those issues with NYXL. I'd say it's probably just a bad batch but that sucks regardless.

3. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

these are a big nope for me.

strung up 3 guitars i built. the ones for my friends i bought regular XL's, The one for me i decided to splurge on NYXL's. well my guitar sounds dead, and the two with XL's sound awesome. I think i'll save my money next time.

4. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

It's sad hearing people getting bad responses from these strings. I've been using the same set for nearly three months now and I like them a lot, although they look dirty but that's because I don't bother to wipe them a lot and I leave my guitar on a stand, and the tone still sounds clear.

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Yikes that is the exact opposite experience you should have. Contact Daddario via email or twitter and let them know of your experience. They will help you out and likely even send you another set for free.

6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I decided to troubleshoot a bit today, I figured they might be binding in the nut, so I put some graphite in the nut slots. That seems to have fixed the problem for the first 6 strings, they hold tune now.

I thought it was weird as they're the same gauge as the elixirs I was using, but the elixirs are coated and quite slippy feeling so maybe that helped them glide better in the slots.

Low B is still iffy. I can get it to sound in tune when playing powerchords and stuff by tuning it slightly flat according to the tuner. It's out of tune if I check it against the E string using harmonics, but sounds in tune when I play. Maybe some kind of inharmonicity?

For what it's worth I hear a slight rattle when I play the low B string (acoustically). Only that string, still happens when I fret. I can't see what it could be, maybe the winding has come away from the core? Could that cause these issues?

As far as sound, I still say they sound darker than the elixirs, but not in a bad way. They're not dull sounding, maybe richer sounding in the midrange. Just an adjustment as I've used elixirs for years. Someone who uses these may say elixir sound too bright and sterile if they're used to these.

7. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Bump. Definitely missing the "extra" the NYXLS give, compared to the GHS EJ set. I was surprised by how much character they impart; and will start rotating them into my string changes. I'm curious to hear whether they color the sound enough to make two different guitars sound similar, and will report my findings.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Hrmm... I don't know. I've had NYXLs for a while before I switched to Cleartone and the NYXLs stayed in tune quite decently. I'm thinking that you might need heavier gauges. I used the NYXL 11-56 set prior to switching to the Cleartone 11-56 set.

WintermintP

9. squids

squids .

wow i had no idea these were disliked here. i run the light top heavy bottom set on all my 6 strings, and the heavier of the 7 string sets on my 7. they're bright and lively, idk about "staying in tune" as they generally fluctuate but not to any extreme. and they last months, vs normal XLs lasting a few weeks for me. i justify the extra cost with the ability of not having to change strings as much. 4 times a year vs like 10+ times a year. bummed that not everyone is having positive experiences with them.

10. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

No issues with the NYXL either. Quite the opposite, after having tried out pretty much every string in the market (except the Paradigm) they clearly stand out to me as the best all round. Been using them in all my guitars since they came out, making the switch from years of using the regular D'Addario XL as my main strings, and I couldn't be happier, they definitely last a bit longer and give a stronger/clearer tone than the others.

11. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I LOVE my NYXL strings. Started with them because the 8 string .009-.080 set was perfect for my needs on my RG852mpb, just restrung my H-1007FR with a 010-.059 set, and my Warlock Plus 6 string with a .010-.052 set for drop c#.

I ALMOST swear by these strings. Just about perfection for my needs.....

12. Jamey36

Jamey36 SS.org Regular

I love them.Much brighter and clearer than the standard XL's I have always used.Stay in tune great,although I will say they take a little longer to break in for me,but very stable after that.I wipe them down after every play and they last very well.Seem to be much better for recording to cut the mix,at least to my ears.