D'Addario NYXL

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MoshJosh, Feb 6, 2015.

1. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

I just got my first pack of NYXL strings, I have to say I think they actually do live up to the hype. They do sound brighter and more defined than the regular strings. I also really like the way they feel under the fingers. But are they $11 a pack good? I dunno. The reason I started buying D'Addartio strings was because they are fairly inexpensive. But they are made in NY. However I will challenge the "break resistant" claim. My high B string broke as soon as I got it up to tune. I also broke 3 unwound strings on a brand new standard set last week.

2. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Thanks for the review. :)

3. PFlynn

PFlynn SS.org Regular

I put a set on my Telecaster a few months ago to try them out. They sounded and played very nicely. They still sound and feel relatively fresh, but I don't think I'd buy them regularly. I don't play that guitar as much as I used to, but it's good to know those have a longer life span.

4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Just gave some NYXL 11-49's a try on my Gibson LP Menace in Drop C#/Eb standard after coming off a few years of using 11-50 D'addario Balanced Tension (EXL) strings. The BT strings were cool for some things (lead runs felt effortless as did quick transitioning from string to string) but not for others (didn't like the overall tension when rhythm playing--felt a little too weird for me, especially the A string which didn't have as much tension as I would like). Just threw on some NYXL 11-49's and I much prefer the gauges on this set to the 11-50 BT set.

As far as the NYXL aspect goes:

-Positives:
    WOW, I don't think I've ever liked the sound coming out of this guitar as much as I do now (regardless of the many string gauges and tunings I've had it in over the years). Immediately I noticed the upper-mid push that I wasn't getting from normal D'addario strings. The extra upper-mids you get with these strings really makes you pop in a mix and make your guitar tone much more clear (better string clarity). The tonal differences are most noticeable on my neck pickup, which now cuts through significantly more than it ever has in the past. These strings also do seem to stay in tune much better than any other string I've used, and that says a lot considering it's a Les Paul with your typical G-string tuning issues.

-Negatives:
    Price. These are twice the price of regular EXL strings.

-Other notes:
    I find that these feel quite a bit different than other strings I've played. They are a little 'rougher' (or at least more 'grippy') than regular EXL's, which are more 'slick' feeling when brand new. The feel doesn't really bother me but it might annoy some people who like the 'super slick' feel.
    In addition, I found that these strings also feel more 'substantial' or 'tougher/stronger', if that makes sense. I feel like I can really dig in and play hard on these strings, in comparison to your typical guitar string. Not that I have many issues with breaking strings, but it's definitely something that makes me feel like I can play harder because the strings can easily 'take it'.

Conclusion:
    If money isn't a concern for you then I think they are definitely worth trying/buying. If you can't justify the price-tag then these would be a great purchase for whenever you plan on recording, or for important gigs (for their tuning stability and tone).

5. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I put a 10-52 set on my Vigier a few months ago, and only broke the e after de- and retuning repeatedly while trying out different caps and resistors with a new set of pups. My first impression was that they sounded much crisper than the Elixir nanowebs I normally use (I prefer the duller tone of coated strings due to their wear-in period sounding less obvious - Purely subjective/placebo, admittedly).

Overall, I'm sorry to say I don't love them enough to justify the extra few dollars. But we'll see if I miss them after using a set of GHS EJs on the guitar for the next while.

6. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I think your problem is that you were trying to toy with the strings while testing out new electronics on your guitar. If you're gonna go that, at least prepare yourself with an entirely new set of strings and maybe wait for a good amount of time to play with those old strings before throwing them away.

7. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Well...even though I had the strings on the guitar for maybe two months prior to the context I gave concerning how the only string I broke was due to metal fatigue, your damning version of events does seem to suggest that I'm the problem.

Going forward, I'll cease putting an overpriced set of strings on the guitar specifically while swapping out components and, even then, only pausing to alternate that with "toying" with the strings (hopefully I wasn't using them for a sex toy!). And I'll be sure to have a second set of the overpriced strings I'm casually auditioning on standby, on the offchance one of the strings breaks while I'm toying/soldering - I certainly owe it to the NYXL product line to forego the non-NYXL strings I had on-hand.

Thanks, covert durr. I was mistaken in assuming the business of my casually-stated, neutral experience with the strings was my own non-problem to communicate - But you sure-as-hell fixed my wagon. I was downright rash, to match my rash down right there. Judging by your recent posts attacking the racism and misogyny posters were unaware they had even implied, I think we can come to count on you as the voice of reason in matters even beyond the scope of proper consumer string evaluation or Taylor Swift.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  8. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

That was certainly a level-headed, appropriate, not-bitter-in-the-slightest response if ever I've seen one!

9. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I tried a set of NYXL0946 pm my Schecter, they sounded pretty good for the first 5 minutes, then the G snapped at the bridge. Just unlucky I guess as its extremely rare for that to happen for me. But, not gonna risk forking out the same amount again, if I end up with a repeat performance. needless to say they came off, and I went back to Slinkys and back to strings lasting until I change them (4-6 weeks).

10. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

@khm There are these strings by Ernie Ball called Paradigm Slinkys that I just discovered, here's what Ernie Ball says about them: "Paradigm Slinkys are the most break resistant strings on the planet - GUARANTEED." Sounds like it's their answer to D'Addario's NYXL. You might want to give them a try at least once as well, especially considering you already use Slinkys from what you just said at the end.

Image:
    [​IMG]
    Full description:

Link:

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/-...SLINKY-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-STRING-Set-P12042.aspx

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  11. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Sweetwater carries most of the NYXL gauges..

I have been using the 10-59 set o my 7 strings for a while now and 11-49 on one of my sixxers. They seem very consistent.. The tuning on my PRS CE24 is dead stable with those strings and the Gotoh 510z tuners I have on it.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

In a case such as this D'addario is usually very good at replacing/sending you new strings for free. May be too late now but if you venture back to NYXL in the future, if a string breaks immediately such as this they often send you a new set without question (this goes for any of their strings actually, not just NYXL).

13. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Thanks for the tip ! Hadn't really crossed my mind. I can't swap out a single string my ocd won't allow it (even if the other 5 are new) but if I see another pair on sale ,I may give them another go. I was just very unlucky!

14. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I was tempted until I saw the price ,I heart had a heart attack !! They do seem quite tempting to try ! Thanks for the info buddy!

EverDream likes this.
  15. BMO

BMO Geetarist

EB Paradigms are marketed that if they break or tarnish heavily within a certain period of time (90 days) they'll send you a free set so it seems like a good deal to me imho

marcwormjim likes this.
  16. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

I've decided to give NYXLs a try 6 months ago. They're great ! The thing I noticed the most is the fact that they tend to stay in tune more than the strings I previously used. I'm definitely sticking with these strings from now on (i.e. until something better for my needs comes along).

downburst82 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  17. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Tried NYXL 10-59s on my seven, stuck with them for three set of strings though I think I might try something different come next time.
    When fresh, they are definitely more 'twangy' than standard EB strings, the feeling is quite magical...for about an hour, then the tone gets noticeably darker. I find them a bit beefier than ordinary strings, but the difference is quite minimal.
    Overall, I find NYXL to be a bit higher quality than standard EB and D'addarios, it sounds a bit fuller and lasts a bit longer, but isn't worth the price for me.

18. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

I have a set of balanced tension NYXL 10s on my Les Paul. I like them a lot and will keep them on that guitar, but for most everything else I will stick with my standard EB 10s that I've been using for twenty years.

19. Screamingdaisy

Screamingdaisy SS.org Regular

I've tried the NYXLs a few times over the year or two. Each time I like them at first, then after a few days there's something that starts to irritate me about them.

The good thing about these periodic experiments is that I get to hear my first set of Ernie Balls with a fresh set of ears and re-gain my appreciation for their sound.

Anyone know if the Paradigms chew your frets up like the Cobalts?