D'Addario NYXL

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MoshJosh, Feb 6, 2015.

1. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

2. Doulton

Doulton SS.org Regular

I can't speak for the fretware part but I've used these one of these packs and the .11-49's. They feel really good and sound brighter than regular d'addario for some time. However, in my experience, they lose that "crisp new string" sound and feel rather quickly which is a huge bummer for me. I really want to like these new sets but the wear I've seen holds them back. Your mileage may vary.

3. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard Dignity

I've switched over to them now that you can get singles any sizes. I really like them, and they do sound brighter and I would even say more defined. I haven't really noticed them going dead quickly, but I am both a somewhat light player and also lazy when it comes to string changes so probably used to dead strings. Can't speak to the fret wear either since 2/3 of the guitars I have them on are stainless.

4. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

I really like them and use them on all my guitars. From my experience they sound good, last much longer, and stay in tune better. No noticeable increase in fret wear on my nickel fretted guitars.

5. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

I have a buddy who felt the same way and switched back to his Ernie Ball Cobalts. I've been experimenting with the NYXL's and I like them. They seem to stay bright longer than regular strings do for me, but I'm also not playing them every day.

6. TauSigmaNova

TauSigmaNova Guitarist Wannabe.

I got a free pack once from my friend who went to the Petrucci clinic at the Times Square GC in August and they were nice, a bit brighter than normal, but I wouldn't pay 12 dollars a pack for them compared to 3.50 ish I pay for normal D'Addarios when I order them off Amazon.

7. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Next Gen Guitars

It's basically just D'Addario's version of coated strings. Like Elixers. If you've ever tried Elixer strings, they will be very similar. I'm not sure any set of strings is worth that much though... I assume (perhaps wrongfully) that the kind of person who is willing to put up $12-$15 for a single pack of strings is probably playing often enough and changing his/her strings often enough that they're not really getting the benefits of the more expensive strings.

Then again, I could be totally wrong! I know when I was playing seriously/semi-professionally I was changing my strings every month, minimum.

8. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

I don't think these are actually coated in anything, I think it's a different formulation to the metals.

That said, I've heard a lot of unimpressed people - they don't seem to sound much better than normal D'addarios. I know my friend's broken NYXLs just putting them on, but that could be chalked up to user error more than anything.

They shouldn't wear your frets any more than a standard string, I wouldn't imagine.

EDIT: also where were you when I was living in Nepean 5-6 years ago :p

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  9. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Next Gen Guitars

Well crap, don't I look dumb now. lol I was thinking of the EXLs.

5-6 years ago? Getting married and attending post-secondary 400km away. ;P

10. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

I tried these on a warm guitar and they were excellent. I just bought a few more sets to try different gauges (one being 12 - 60 for C standard). As far as I can tell, they wear like normal strings but have a brighter attack.

Also, I don't understand the hipster packaging comment. I thought the packaging was pretty nice, actually, and I don't like hipsters.

11. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

i think a lot of people use hipster as a negative term for anything new looking that they don't like :lol:

More on topic just strung up my standard tuned warmoth HSH strat of all trades with the 10-46 NYXL set. So far very impressed. Can't say anything about fretwear or string aging yet, but I'll come back if I have anything negative to say.

I'm very excited to see all the gauges available for wound NYXL singles. That alone I think is reason to check them out, because nothing else from a major brand will let you be so gauge specific. These are the new additions:

.023 .029 .031 .033 .035 .041 .043 .045 .047 .053 .057 .058 .063 .065 .076 .078

still on my wishlist:
    .0075p .0125p .027 .041 .051 .055 .061 .067

12. guitarfreak1387

guitarfreak1387 squirrel chaser

I tried them not too long ago.

I found they do tend to keep that fresh string sound longer. But overall I did find them to be a bit too bright for my taste. They do what they claim though so that's cool.

13. ddawson2012

ddawson2012 SS.org Regular

Don from D'Addario here - NYXLs aren't coated an SteveXC indicated. Our coated line is EXP - which is now using the NYXL wire. We are the only string company that also owns it's own wire mill. The wire used for NYXLs is different on a number of levels but the most significant is that it gives you tuning stability. Put the strings on - stretch them once - you're good to go.

New gauges are coming later in 2015 for 7 and 8 string and hopefully bass. You can get singles currently. You can also tweak your own custom set by using our tension calculator - String Tension Pro - if you have any further questions - by all means email me, don.dawson2@daddario.com

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  14. mrmeangreen

mrmeangreen SS.org Regular

I stand by them 100%. I'm stoked that they finally have more options coming.

15. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

I really want to try them but can't find anywhere near me stocking them. Ugh.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Awesome! I've always wanted 33, 57 and 65 gauges.

Edit: $8.50 for a 65 gauge? No thanks!!!

17. hikizume976

hikizume976 SS.org Regular

I'd love to try them out but they're not making medium top/extra heavy bottom sets at the moment.

They do have custom medium top/extra heavy bottom sets over at amazon but they're $16 a pop :(

18. ddawson2012

We're working on pricing as well. There will be an update come Summer NAMM time. ;)

19. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

@don, I put a set on my flying v a couple of months ago, just checked, still in tune. I have yet to tune since throwing these on there.

20. ddawson2012

Most excellent!