Convince me to buy an 8-string

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by cardinal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I’ve played 7-strings for the last decade or so and am thinking about an 8, but I don’t really know what I’d do with it.

Seems the standard tuning is a low F#. I don’t really lean on the low B a whole lot, and suspect that I wouldn’t use the F# much at all but who knows.

I’m pretty sure I do not want a high A string.

I’ve googled around for some alternative ways to tune an 8-string but wasn’t turning up much beyond drop tunings for the bottom two strings.

What say you? Clips or suggestions of songs to listen to? Suggestions for tunings that would be fun or useful?

2. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

If you need to be convinced, then you don't want an 8 string. Simple as that.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Charlie Hunter did cool stuff with an eight string twenty-three years ago. Meshuggah did interesting things with eight string guitars fifteen years ago. I've been doing things with an eight string guitar for twelve years.

I mean, if you need another string on your guitar, then go for it, but otherwise, I don't know why you are asking. Hardly anyone cares about eight string guitars nowadays, so...maybe just stick with sevens.

4. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Well you guys aren’t helping. Hahaha.

I bought a 7-string years and years ago on a bit of a whim and ended up love it, never really having played a 6-string since. I don’t use the extra string much though.

Probably no point to an 8 for me. I’ve looking for ideas of what to do with the extra string beyond modern metal riffing, which I’ve never been into.

5. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

I use my 7 and 8 strings for surf music. Ill try and load a clip later.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just do it, dude.

Type_R3387 likes this.
  7. chuggalug

chuggalug SS.org Regular

not only should you get one, you should call aristides and get an 080 custom build started asap. lets not put one foot in the cold water, JUMP ALL THE WAY IN!

ohmanthisiscool likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm the other way around - if I'm on the fence, but need to ask around for people to convince me, it generally means I really do want the thing. Some level of guilt for buying more things, or trouble justifying the expense or effort is usually what the second opinion might help me get over.

If you're that stuck on it, just do it. Do what makes you happy.

9. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I know how you feel. I kinda want an 8 for some classical-inspired stuff (not so much access to the low F# itself but more being able to play in position 5-7 more comfortably). Although I can guarantee the first like week or two weeks will be playing 000-0-000-0-000-0 on the F# because it's hilarious :p

cardinal likes this.
  10. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

You first have to convince an 8-string guitar that it wants you, so it's kinda maybe consensual.

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

You aren't sure? Throw $800 in the bank as a gear fund, add to it every payday, and when you know what you want (guitar, amp, pedal) you'll have something towards it already.

12. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Oh I know which one I want already! I just don’t know what I’d do with it, so it seems even sillier than the other guitars I buy.

13. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

Personally I say go for it, with NO plan on what you want it for. 80% of the time I buy a guitar for some specific reason, and a year or so later it becomes a guitar for a completely different thing. Two quick examples.
    1. Gretsch Tim Armstrong. Bought it with intensions of making it an alternative/rock guitar ala airborne toxic event, killers, Panic! at the disco, Vampire weekend and it does that very well, but I ended up turning in into a Hardcore/punk guitar, think shockwave, throwdown, bury your dead.
    2. Epiphone Phant-o-matic. Intended to be tuned high like a standard guitar with a capo on the 2nd or 3rd fret. then use it as a singer/songwriter chord machine while I sing behind it, and play cool clean riffs . Now its a Blackgaze guitar in DADFAD tuning.
    So honestly I say get the thing, and let it tell you what it wants to be. I love 7's the most for the feel, but 8's&9's are great too. Im a big dude so big guitars and necks feel more like home than 6's. Just my personal experience anyway. Everyone is different.

14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

you pretty much answered your own question. You have 0 plans for it, so why get it?

I got my 5 string bass because I had a need for the low B for the music I was playing to, and alos found new ways to use it. My plan for a 7 string goes the same, I have a few songs I want to start learning that need the low B and that would start my journey into it.

get an 8 strign if you already have songs that require it. If it is for "give it a try" then rent/borrow an 8 string for a couple of weeks and see from there. But for what you say, nope, you wont need it, save the cash, or get another 7 that you can detune a bit if you want to try different tuning

15. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

DOOO IT!!!

sometimes I feel I under utilize my 8, but really whats more redundant another 7 or 6, or an 8. It's not like you could play more than one at a time anyways.

I have mine tuned EAEADGBE I have fun with the double octave at the bottom.

Although I do like to do some chugging with it, I wanted it more for clean tones just vast chords. And if I ever were to practice and get good again I can pretend like I could maybe learn to play some Animals as Leaders some day.

16. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Drop E makes the transition quite easy. That's how I tune mine.

17. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Eh... personally I can't stand 8 strings. Nothing against 8 string players, I just don't mesh well with them. Too awkward for me and a bit unnecessary to have an 8 string for my play style. Super happy with 7 strings right now.

18. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

So you can be "Strat 8 Guy"?

[​IMG]

19. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Have you considered getting a baritone 7-string? You could tune to an 8-string tuning with it, only without a high E, so you could have the same string tension as one while retaining the feel of a 7.

20. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Just out of curiosity, what scale length would you say is a baritone 7 string?