conspiracy theories / mystical creatures / urban legends...the thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Jul 29, 2017.

1. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Tupac is alive and living in Cuba. :coffee:

:lol:

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Some new stuff, some old stuff (for people that might just be getting into this kind of thing). NSFW, language. It's Cracked.com, but they get the stories right...just add some humor. :lol:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19765_the-5-creepiest-disappearances-that-nobody-can-explain.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_16871_6-insane-discoveries-that-science-cant-explain.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_16501_6-people-who-just-fucking-disappeared.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_18459_the-5-creepiest-unsolved-crimes-nobody-can-explain.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html

The ones that have always gotten me are the ones where people just vanish...no clues, weird circumstances etc.....just. fucking. VANISH.

I get that there's an explanation, most of the time. Credit card debt, hated marriage, trouble with your bookie or whatever, and most of the time there's an explanation, even if we don't know what it is. People have proven time and time again that no one ever really knows anyone, and that even your nicest next door neighbor who walks your dog when you're out of town, gives faithfully to church and charity and loves his wife and kids can be someone who apparently needs to disappear. I get it.

But the weird ones, the ones where as far as is known don't ascribe themselves to any of the things above, really get me.

Dude stops his car to walk into a liquor store, leaves his wife in the car, comes back out 3 minutes later and she's gone, leaving her purse, cell phone etc and is literally never seen again? WHAT THE F*CK! Where do these people GO? Do they all end up in the back of a van and then end up in the ground and that's why? I mean, that's the most logical explanation, right? But damn.....seriously, ALL these people just vanish? It's insane.

The other ones that get me are the Toynbee Tiles and the Taman Shud case.....both of these are completely maddening to me for the simple fact of lack of information.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    crankyrayhanky likes this.
  3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

How is a flat earth not the explanation?

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Not saying that there is no bigfoot, but there are a few weaknesses in the comparison with gorillas.

1. Gorillas were known to indigenous peoples who lived near their habitat. They only became known to European people after those people began exploring the area. If bigfoot lives somewhere in Appalachia, it'd be likely that we would have stronger evidence he exists.
    2. All other apes originate from Africa or Asia. Discovering a new species of ape in Africa would be far less surprising than discovering a new species of ape in North America, or, actually, any place other than Africa or Asia.
    3. We still discover new species of animals every few days, just about, but the early 1800's was a virtual dark age for biological knowledge compared to present day. With 15± different species of great apes known to exist, it's a pretty high priority for biologists to understand them. Apes are large and difficult to miss. Almost all of the new species being discovered are either a) already known to exist, but found to be a separate species from something else we once thought to be the same, b) living in the ocean, or c) small organisms that are not so difficult to miss.

So, it is interesting that things like gorillas (or more recently bonobos) were not known to western biologists until fairly recently, the chance of discovering a new species of great ape outside of Africa and Asia in the 21st century is looking pretty remote, and the two hardly correlate to each other. On the other hand, there is a decent chance of maybe discovering a new species of great ape in Africa sometime in our lifetime.

lewis and steinmetzify like this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Oh yeah for sure. I was defo playing devils advocate with my post and really, I was not looking at it in that in depth manner.
    Just the more simple idea that some animals can stay hidden on this planet (except if you live in the jungle with them lol)

But yeah these days, chances are, if they DID exist, they are now extinct before any proof was found.

6. bostjan

Maybe Orang-pendek will be discovered in Indonesia, or maybe they'll find some sort of cryptid in Northern Canada, since it's sparsely populated, and there are some interesting ecosystems there.

7. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Just saw this video on my FB feed about these 3 hurricanes caused by haarp :v

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

nothing surprises me anymore tbh

9. takotakumi

I didn't finish watching the full 14 min but I saw another older 6 min version which also linked earthquakes to haarp since "earthquakes are preceded by ionosphere disturbances" and boom we have that Mexico quake earlier today haha

lewis likes this.
  10. bostjan

Sounds like pretty tight logic there - This happened, then this happened afterward, therefore, the HAARP machine is responsible.
    I'm coining a new latin phrase to describe this logic: "Post hoc, ergo propter HAARP."
    What do you think? :)

You know what I think? I think that the changes in ocean temperatures is causing more swirling patterns in weather along the equator, which, in turn, spawns more tropical storms and increases the magnitude of those tropical storms. I think it's analogous to a heat engine. You heat up one side of the engine, and it moves to where the cooler side was, pushing the cooler side into the heat, resulting in rotation. Increase the heat into the hot side, and the rotation provides more torque and higher RPM. Heat the Earth more from the northern hemisphere and not-as-more from the southern hemisphere, and you increase the torque and speed of seasonal equatorial weather patterns. :shrug:

takotakumi likes this.
  11. takotakumi

I feel dumb as fuck right now

After reading your comment

......finally realized why the HAARP machine band is called like that :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

12. takotakumi

You just took my back to my Thermodynamics class back in college haha
    but yeah precisely!

bostjan likes this.
  13. bostjan

No worries, the actual HAARP machine is a pretty esoteric conspiracy theory; I'm sure most people never heard of it unless they knew of the band first.

14. marcwormjim

ss.org reserves the right to modify or remove posted content for any reason. So let's indulge in wild speculation as to why the powers-that-be chose to delete not only my parody Wylde Audio guitar review, but posts referencing it:

1. WA/Schecter are a current or prospective sponsor; and censorship was deemed a diplomatic imperative of utmost necessity.
    2. A moderator who may or may not have recently acquired a Gangrene Bullseye Warhammer was most-unamused.
    3. Zakk Wylde detected a disturbance in the Force, and willed it out of existence.
    4. Aliens.
    5. A mole moderator given to buffoonery intended to delete references to HAARP, but made a critical error involving a forgotten roller skate, a peanut butter sandwich, and a lever.
    6. George Bush hates black guitars.
    7. My post has been quarantined by the SCP Foundation as a Keter-class memetic cognitohazard.
    8. Who can say that my post was ever really here in the first place?

Our duly appointed SevenString agents have standards to uphold, but must themselves be held to such standards. In short, I feel this kind of oppression is not what we should be associating with the SS.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Frankly, the joke wasn't very funny to begin with. "Oh, a fake NGD thread... never seen one of these before."

Also, is that some straight up slick wording or what? "I feel this kind of oppression is not what we should be associating with the SS"? I'm sorry, but that phrasing is funnier than that entire thread was. Seriously, oppression, and SS... if that wasn't intentional, it sure was unintended hilarity.

16. marcwormjim

They can't all be zingers.

17. Spaced Out Ace

No, but the oppression line was fucking hysterical. :lol:

18. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

Here's what I think about Bigfoot, Yeti, and the Chinese red-haired yeti: There were these anthropologists in Africa, talking to a jungle tribe. The tribe was telling them about this big-ass mythical creature in the jungle they believed in. Upon being shown a picture of a rhinocerous, they said, yes, that's it! But the rhino hasn't been anywhere near them for 10,000 years (local climate and biome changing thing)- they'd just kept the memory alive all that time. Same thing happened with the supposedly legendary Bunyip in Australia- when shown an artist's rendering, from bones dug up, of a giant mammal that's been extinct for 20-30,000, years, the Aborigines said yes, that's a perfect picture of the Bunyip!

That's what I think Bigfoot and the Yeti are- true stories kept alive for thousands of years. In a related story, to show the power of memory via stories and song, about 15-20 years ago in teh US an African-American lady was singing a little song at work and an anthropologist overheard her and said "that sounds familiar" and asked where she'd learned it. From her grandmother, who learned it from her grandmother, and so on. So, her family was brought from Africa 400 years ago, and the anthropologist, using the song, was able to locate exactly which village in Africa they came from, they still sing it there and only there. The African-American lady had the words and notes exactly right, even though she didn't understand any of the words. An interesting and sad touch to the story is that the family had sung it as a lullaby for four centuries, but it has always been a traditional funeral song.

19. IGC

IGC OCDG

My two favourite more recent bigfoot footage;

Are these guys acting? Start watching @ min 3:30

20. Spaced Out Ace

That first one is pretty obviously a fake.