Connecting with guitars?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by cip 123, Jan 29, 2018.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I guess I'm a point A to point B kinda guy when it comes to guitars. If it does what it's supposed to I'm happy. But I also don't see myself as a "guitarist" as much as just someone who likes to express himself through music. I don't particularly like to play guitar. I mean, I don't dislike it, but I don't reach for a guitar when I have nothing else to do. It's just something I need to do in order for my music to... actually be music, with sound waves...

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Strange, I loved my Ibanez RGA121 at today's band rehearsal. Good things about the particular guitar are that it's thin and lightweight, kind of melts into your body when standing up. That combined to somewhat effortless playability is great.

3. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

I thought the Ibanez M80M was my dream guitar. As it turns out 29.3 inches is not part of my dream scale length. It really bummed me out.

...I will probably buy another one eventually, maybe I'll connect with that one?

4. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

I used to have an Ibanez custom 540s-bm and just couldn't stand the thing for some unknown reason. I traded it for an old solid state Marshall 2x12, which I then traded for a RedBear MK120 half stack. Best two trades I ever made!

My current rig is a 1994 Fender Duosonic that I bought new. It plays pretty well and sounds great but it's the music inside of it that keeps me playing it.

odibrom likes this.
  5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

You have never played a POS!?

bostjan, cip 123 and Ebony like this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, a bunch, actually. A Samick POS7, a Tiesco Del Ray, a $9 Stella Acoustic, a Hondo acoustic with an inverse fretboard radius, a Magnum LP Copy, several HArmony electrics, even a piece of junk with no tuners on it. I've also played early 2000's $5k Gibson Artist guitars that played just as bad as any of those. In none of those cases, did I immediately throw the guitar down and run away. :lol: I think they all had different sorts of charm about them, even if the charm was the fact that they were basically junk glued together with strings nailed to them.

cwhitey2 and Rawkmann like this.
  7. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained SS.org Regular

Sometimes a guitar just inspires you to write or play. I have 3 guitars I feel that way with, but I'm not sure what makes them feel that way to me. It's my Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR, Epiphone Gothic Explorer and my Solar A2.6.
    The one thing they have in common are their satin finishes and set-necks, so I wonder if that's the thing for me?

I've had a couple of cheap guitars throughout the years which I connected with for different reasons. Looking back I wish that I had kept some of them. I had a pretty sweet BC Rich Wartribe which played like butter and inspired me like crazy. I wrote some of my best stuff on that guitar, but I ended up selling it so I could buy my first 7-string.

I'm guilty for focusing a bit too much on specs. I has been the reason why I've been avoiding Fender guitars almost all my musical life. I'm kind of thinking about trying to buy something completely different from what I normally would play, and see what could come out of that. Squier came up with a new Strat model this year which caught my eye...

cip 123 likes this.
  8. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I had always dreamed with a mayones, the regius gothic 7... and I finally got one. Quality wise it was the best guitar I have ever owned, but every time I picked it, I didn't feel inspired to play.
    On the other hand, my first guitar, an Epiphone LP went through a big transformation because it was the one I wanted to play all the time, so I just changed every single piece of hardware and electronics on it. It is not a Mayones and it will not be, but I spend hours without pause playing on it.
    I am gasing for one of those iconic guitars you dream on since you start to play guitar, but it costs 4.5k€ and I am afraid of feeling the same again...too much money :)

cip 123 likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've got an acoustic that isn't an objectively great guitar, but I've always been hesitant to go get another acoustic because this one is sort of "mine". I inherited it, it's older than I am, and it has that old broken in guitar sound. Part of me wants a new acoustic- something shiny and bright sounding and easy to play- but a completely irrational part of my brain says it's would be like a betrayal of the old one. It has kind of high action, a bunch of pits and stuff in the fingerboard from years of use and abuse, some lifted frets and dead spots and notes that can't be sounded at all anymore. Playing it at this point is a bit of a struggle.

Some day I will buy a wall hanger and finally retire it to a life as a wall ornament - which it would actually be pretty good as, since it's got some cool inlays and lots of "relic" bumps and bruises, so it's cool to look it. Today is not that day though.

cip 123 likes this.
  10. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

I have a MIM fender bass that was made the same year I was born, and on top of that it was a very strange defect: there's an eye lash over the paint but under the top coat, so I'd be able to tell if this was my bass out of a hundred others like it. Some dude in mexico wiped his face in between coats and now a part of him sits next to me and my computer. I actually sold the bass to a friend and regretted it immediately, luckily he wasn't too fond of it and sold it back to me at the same price about 4 months later. It has a rosewood fretboard that I hate and mix matched chrome and black hardware and sometimes I want to get a warmoth neck for it and all black hardware, but since it was one of Fenders unique Prodigy models from the early 90's I'm afraid to modify it.

cip 123 likes this.
  11. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

I'd keep playing it until it clicks, which might or might not happen. Happened with a JPX I currently own. Sometimes, it "clicking" could depend on using it for a particular song or something.