Connecting with guitars?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by cip 123, Jan 29, 2018.

1. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Posting this as I recently felt at a loss with one of my guitars which is a shame since it's a literal dream guitar (I guess it's kinda like a "never meet your heroes" thing).

Got a Carvin JB200C which I pined after for years, and landed one that was spec'd out to the max, but...I don't connect with it. It plays well, it looks great, aside from previous owner dings it's pretty much perfect. But I just don't feel much for it when I play it.

I don't wanna sell it because it's my dream guitar obviously. But I have other guitars that I just feel so much more, like my Schecter Custom Shop 7. I will play that thing all day and all night and it's just a guitar I happened upon preowned in a store. It's not my perfect specs and not even something I wanted till I found it.

Anyone else get this with guitars, or any gear for that matter? Just to open it up to everyone

And did you solve it?

Surely can't be the only one to go through this.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Guitars are more than the sum of thier parts, which can be a good thing and a bad thing.

That's why I highly advocate playing everything you can get your hands on. Every now and then you'll find something that challenges your preconceived notions and help you look at things differently.

It's also why I get a chuckle out of folks who take spec sheets too seriously.

crg123, Ernesto, Vyn and 2 others like this.
  3. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I never bought my JB on specs, just something I wanted for years. It just so happens that the only one to pop up this side of the pond was absolutely loaded.

I totally get what you're saying though, for example my Schecter is sorta the opposite. Sure they're all really nice specs but I wouldn't of picked any of them had it been my custom order, yet I can't put the thing down, it's got somethings the JB doesn't...an extra string for one anyway :lol:

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Jackson SLSMG green swirl
    Made in Japan, no finish flaws, awesome paintjob, nice feeling lacqer, neckthru with upper access...
    just wasn't for me. IDK. I sometimes feel like a total goon for getting rid of it, but I definitely like my other guitars better, so...

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I have kind of love/hate relationship with Ibanez, after some time I just want to sell them and try something new after playing them for 10 years. Mainly because of very thin neck profiles in Prestige guitars. I'm open for suggestions in price range between 700 - 1400 euro's. Guitar should have a superstrat shape, two humbuckers and a hardtail bridge that is not TOM, also six strings at this point. I've been thinking going for Solar Guitars, Jackson Pro series or WMI made Schecters.

So yeah, something seems to be missing with me and Ibanez.

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you dont bond and you dont want to play it, sell it. It was your dream guitar, and this particular one isnt. Maybe try another one later but no point in keeping a guitar you dont even want to pick up.

PBGas and nyxzz like this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

it's a kiesel

cip 123 likes this.
  8. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

cip123,

What made the JB200C your dream guitar? If you've never played it before, I can only imagine that looks would have a deciding factor, but it's just another superstrat.

I don't know, just seems weird to call it a dream guitar prior to ever playing it. Unless you actually had a dream about playing it, in which case, sorry to hear your subconscious betrayed you.

In my case, being a lefty has made the concept of trying guitars impossible, so all of my guitars were a roll of the dice. My most recent guitar is a secondhand Ormby Hype that I saw on a facebook post in a random guitar group. I didn't think much of it, but that night, I had a dream that I owned the guitar and was playing it. Next morning, did a bunch of research and decided to go for it. This guitar is far better than my Ibanez RG, Schecter Blackjack, and Carvin DC727. I've had it for almost a year and I still feel like I'm in the honeymoon phase, it is so goddamn nice to play.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  9. MaxOfMetal

I'm the same way with most Jacksons. I really like them on paper and I own a couple that I absolutely love having, but I just don't jive with them long-term and wind up selling them. There's nothing wrong with them, they're great playing and sounding with awesome build, but I just don't develope a bond.

It's kind of the reason I want to go CS, to see if that helps.

10. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

It's a Carvin :p

I don't think I could bring myself to man, Carvin's are so rare over here. I originally saw it years ago and didn't have enough money to get it being just a kid, when it came up again and I had the money I had to go for it. Also in those years, at least 3, it's the only one I saw pop up.

Jason Becker, thats it basically. My guitar teacher showed me him once and I was hooked then I saw his bluey and it was just one of those guitars I wanted to own someday.

Also glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem on some guitars!

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If its rare it should in theory be an easy sell.

Honestly why keep money tied up in something you dont use?

ArtDecade and PBGas like this.
  12. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Agree with budda on this - and at the end of the day they're just guitars. I felt that way with my PRS HB. After the honeymoon period, I realized it just wasn't the guitar for me and moved it along.

For you, the JB was conceptually your dream guitar because of who you associate with it, not because of the guitar itself. There's a big difference between them IMO.

13. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

If you aren't bonding then it's not your dream guitar. Simple as that.
    No reason to keep it around because you love it in theory. Certain guitars just have that vibe and feel that click and some don't. Doesn't mean they're bad guitars, just that they're not "the one" (or "also the one").
    Sometimes it's a moody thing, had a similar experience to @MaxOfMetal with Jackson. Had an SL1 and on most days, it was the finest guitar I had ever felt up till that time. Absolutely loved it. Other days, it's like I didn't even know how to play the guitar. But it had the most D shaped D neck ever, massive shoulders and not thin. I just didn't get along with it. I had two DK1s that I bonded with much better, but ended up passing on them since I preferred an ESP M-II I had at the time, same turf, liked it more.

These days, no bond and it goes immediately.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

My logic is if I really like a guitar but don't like certain parts of it that are easily swapped out (tuners, electronics, pickups) then I'll spend the time tweaking em. If it's something more difficult to change (finish, wood types, neck profile) then I get rid of the guitar. It's hard for me to adhere to that though since I tend to get attached to a lot of my guitars, in part because they're all different and excel at different things. If I had a lot of guitars with similar sounds I'd probably dump most of em since I like variety in both aesthetics and sound.

15. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I say move on! Something you may not like or feel will definitely be a great guitar for someone else! Find what works and go for it!

16. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Well, I have not sold any guitars in 5 years or so, since i do like to have lots of different sounds at my disposal. I'm also not in any dire financial need to sell something, even if it is getting a bit cramped with gear in here.

I bought a '97 gibson LP double cut studio (that's a mouth full) in december 2016, which i have fallen in love with more than i would've thought. I've bought some guitars after it but this is the guitar i use 90% of the time now when i'm playing and writing stuff for my band. Even if it has a stupid ass wraparound bridge that doesn't really intonate, especially in low tunings.

After that guitar i've bought a '90 jackson professional fusion pro and a 97' gibson LP with p90's. I really loved the jackson when i first got it but i'm just more comfortable on a thicker neck. Do like that the scale length is 24,75". I keep it around for whenever i wanna do divebombs or when i really want to sit down and practice some fast stuff. I still do love the p90 gibson, it just sounds great but it doesn't sound as well in a full band as i had hoped. Still a great guitar that i use quite a bit for recording sludgy stuff.

17. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

This is how I connect with a guitar.

[​IMG]

cwhitey2 likes this.
  18. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I don't really understand this "connecting" or "bonding" thing. If the guitar plays good, sounds good, looks good then it's good. I don't need to "connect" with it, I'm not gonna marry it. It's a tool.

19. MaxOfMetal

I think it's more like a car.

Yeah, they can all get you from point A to point B, it's just some are more enjoyable in doing so.

Same with tools for that matter. I happen to like a certain type of mallet at work. Is it an objectively better mallet than other makes? Not really. But something about the design and heft makes me favor it.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I just don't understand the premise of this thread. :lol: I don't think I've ever played a guitar that I didn't enjoy playing for one reason or another. Maybe I'm just a "guitar-whore" or something.

TedEH likes this.