Cloud or HD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Metalloutd, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Metalloutd

Metalloutd SS.org Regular

Hi to all! Is it better an external hard drive or a subscription to a cloud on the net for backups?
    what do you use?

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It depends...what are you looking to use it for? My friend and I get together every month or two. We hold an external drive for each other at our homes as an off-site back-up of the most-important things (photos, tax documents...and that's about it). We switch whenever we think of it. I'm better about it than he is, but that's probably because he's a professional photographer, and he already has a 6-drive NAS with RAID redundancy, and crates of back-up HDs.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I back up any important stuff to multiple external drives.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

How about both? Last year I had a PC crash that killed 20% of my 3TB data. From that point onward I use 2 4TB external hard drives, one for backup purposes only and the other for general access. Most of the work is done at the PC hard drive, generally only currently used files. On these I also used Free Cloud Services, so I can access them anywhere. As for free cloud services, I use mostly MEGA.NZ and Dropbox (just because...).

For my band related stuff, we have our working themes all in the cloud, so when one changes something, everybody else gets the newest version when working on it at their homes. Obviously, we all work with the same DAW and eventually some VSTs... There must be a cleaning session from time to time, so we keep our cloud free of garbage, old or unused files.

MEGA.NZ has a free account of 50GB, which is plenty for us so far. There is also a MEGA.NZ application for PC, mobile and Mac (?) for cloud-to-hard drive synchronization.

Oh, I also use Google Drive for some dedicated files...

LeviathanKiller and bostjan like this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

You might lose your password to the cloud, or you might lose your external HD in a flood...who knows, but, at least if one happens, odds are that you will have time to backup your backup again before the other happens, so I recommend both.

If you have to choose, though, I think cloud storage is the way to go in 2018. There are just fewer risks with that than there are with a physical drive. Back in the 1990's, I had a backup system that involved JAZ drives. By 2002, the hardware was no longer supported by anyone, and lo and behold, that's when my drive stopped working. It was a massive pain to get the parts to fix the thing, because, even though the medium had just stopped being supported, it fell out of favour a couple years before, and, most people, seeing it coming, bought up all of the extant hardware to scalp idiots like me trying to repair an in-use device.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm always a bit leary about uploading anything of value onto the internet so who-knows-who has access or controls what happens to those files. But at the same time, physical disks just aren't reliable. I had an external disk I used for backup for years, and the case it's in failed recently. Was a mild panic while I tore the thing apart and was relieved to find the actual disk was ok. The key to backups seems to be redundancy. What's the best backup strategy? All of them. At the same time.

odibrom likes this.
  7. odibrom

odibrom .

I used to say that a digital file does not exists if not in at least 2 different supports, be it a Hard Drive at home, a CD/DVD/BR disk, a pen or in the cloud. A safe bet (imo) is having a 2 backup hard drives for redundancy and some cloud account for in use files.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Burned CDs/DVDs are not terribly long lived in storage, IME. I've had quite a few that have gone bad after >1 year in a dry cool dark place.

odibrom likes this.
  9. odibrom

odibrom .

^ - That's why those are not included in the "Safe bet" suggestion...

bostjan likes this.