Closest/cheapest thing to a Triaxis?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by silverabyss, May 30, 2018.

1. silverabyss

silverabyss

Is there anything in pedal form that can get close or should I just get an interface and reaper and buy Reaxis? My laptop is business-class but old so I'd probably have to use my desktop

And if I were to get a used Triaxis somewhere could I just hook that sucker up to a Mooer Radar and use a PA speaker/FRFR?

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

ReAxis would be your closest bet.
    And yeah, that setup would work. It's what I did but with a Torpedo Live and preamp pedals.

3. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

ReAxis is the closest you'll get.

The USA Pre on the Fractal stuff is excellent as well and may sound just a bit better too (been a long while since I've played that model on an Axe FX II), but ReAxis is a nearly spot on recreation. Having Lead Drive 1, Lead Drive 2, and Dynamic Voice is pretty big. 1 and 2 drive different points of the circuit and have a different affect on the distortion and DV to me has always added more (and more compression) than just EQ.

LeviathanKiller and Elric like this.
  4. Nhoj

Nhoj SS.org Regular

Mercuriall ReAxis.

5. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Ada mp-1 with the 3.666 mod. I own a 3.666 and a stocker, I’ve owned a 3.1 modded unit, the 3.666 is what you’re looking for imo.

6. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

I owned a Triaxis until recently (like a week or so ago when someone threw a stupid amount of cash at me to take it away), and a MESA Studio Pre and a Rocktron Piranha (and have trailed the ReAxis). I don't really like the ReAxis to be honest and could never really gel with it. tried a couple of times and nope... maybe its the whole DAW thing? Also consider that while some may be able to get ReAxis to sound Triaxis like, its a DAW plugin, would you gig with a DAW setup??? personally for me, NO!!!

what you perhaps need to be a little more specific on is; what are you actually trying to get here... the Triaxis is an incredible piece of kit with essentially 8 modes or voices AND is midi switchable. If you are trying to get LD2 yellow or green then the Studio Pre will easily get you there . Stick a boost in front of it an you will get to LD2 red but you lack the ability to have midi and a bunch of totally different presets. if you are after something that goes from clean to mild breakup to crunch to insane gain at the push of a (midi foot) switch, then the Piranha, to be honest - AB against the Triaxis and I know can get close. both the Studio Pre and the Piranha can be had MUCH cheaper than the Triaxis and are rack mountable gig worthy preamps...

you mention a pedal format... get the Mooer 008 Cali... its a Mk3 simulator and that's what LD2 red on the Triaxis is..

I also support the ADA MP1 with the 3.666 mod. but these are now considered "vintage" and the price is going up up up...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    NateFalcon likes this.
  7. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

^agreed...Rocktron Piranha and Voodoo Valve (Witch Doctor) are AWESOME preamps...they can cover a lot of ground and get pretty close to Triaxis tone and beyond if you like higher gain

8. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

It's not a pedal, and it's cheaper than a real Triaxis, but I might suggest an ADA MP-2, which some called the "Triaxis Killer." I've owned two Triaxis (and couldn't bond with them beyond the novelty stage, although the cleans were quite good) and two MP-2's... at radically different times, but my memory of each is that they did indeed share some common ground... if I had space and money, I'd love to have both again just to see...

9. silverabyss

silverabyss

Joe Haley's MK IV mode sound on Ob(Servant) (But lets be honest his sound is probably 99% technique)

I also like other MK IV sounds like As the Palaces Burn

I just think I want to go toward the tight american high gain branch of sound

Also I think this sounds killer w/ the chorus

10. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

One advantage you’ll have with a 3.666 though is tunabilty, thanks to the internal trim pots (bass warp and mid). I hate to see the used value keep going up on them, people were giving them away 15 years ago and they were cheap to replace but I guess the secret is out. Personally I would try to find one already modified, stockers are becoming increasingly scarce and they’re great sounding as is but if you must mod a stock one it’s really not too difficult.

11. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

12. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

I owned a Piranha for a very long time. It sounds nothing like a Triaxis, to my memory; and I messed with that thing for years. It is much more Marshally. They are rare and not worth the effort to find. IMHO. They get hyped up all the time but are pretty limited. I would take a Voodu Valve over it easily. That is pure opinion though. ;)

FWIW, if you are just using it as a preamp, if you consider the real deal too expensive you probably also consider the Axe 2 too expensive but if you can find an Axe standard the Mesa sims run as preamps sounded killer on those, IMHO. Cliff ran a Triaxis before designing the AxeFx.

There is one on Reverb right now for like $500 and change.

The FX on the original Axe are still crazy good to the point where they blow almost anything else out of the water and if you are not using power amp and cab emulation it nullifies a lot of the value the newer generations added where many of the big improvements are.

If you are just going for recording and do not want to run a live rig as others have noted, skip the hardware and just rock the Reaxis. It is excellent.

steinmetzify likes this.
  13. Sean Richardson

You make some points but you have missed mine... I never said the Piranha sounds like a Triaxis (although with the sweepable inbuilt mid parametric EQ you can get close - this is in my post... CLOSE).

Where the Triaxis and Piranha are on common ground is the clean to mild to wild gain all midi switchable in a 1 RU 128 preset equipped rack unit (not sure how many presets the Voodoo Valve does), however is you want to SOUND like a Tri but can afford to loose the 1RU, midi, 128 presets, then the Studio Pre...

On Ebay now there are 3 or 4 Piranha units at about $500. you can look harder and buy cheaper. The Studio Pre are about 700-750 (they come up from time to time)... Triaxis is 1K plus.

I am really really annoyed with you though... cause of your comment re the Voodoo been BETER than the Piranha AND the fact I have never tried a Voodoo (and have some cash and a 1RU rack space available from the Triaxis sale), I now have GAS for a bloody Voodoo Valve :) :) :)

Elric likes this.
  14. Sean Richardson

... or do I get a AXEFX STD or Ultra??? Damnit!

15. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you want a triaxis, just buy a triaxis. Power amp is up to you :yesway:.

Elric likes this.
  16. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

There IS a lot to be said for just biting the billet and saving up for and buying the thing you are GASsing for... it took me years to learn the wisdom of “Buy Nice or Buy Twice” growing up poor did not help.

17. Sean Richardson

Yeah except that often the reality does not live up to the hype... imagined or otherwise.

To test this whole thread, last night I did an AB with a Studio Pre (that I had previously AB’d with the Triaxis) and the Rocktron Piranha and used the same Cab model in a two notes CAB (the kensui Engl Vintage with an SM57).

By adjusting the para EQ to 750Hz on the Rocktron (matches the 750 slider on the Mesa EQ and is the one you use to “scoop”), I had both the Rocktron and the Mesa SP sounding essentially identical. The feel was a little different (the SP felt more “fluid), but the sound was there

Seriously, if you cant afford the TriAxis (and many cant), the others will get you there (context with my post above on features of course).

If I HAD to choose between the “closest”, then given the sounds I got last night and the feature set, the Piranha is the choice. YMMV

18. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

really though ... no choice like the Simuclass 2:90 to pair with a TriaXis :yesway:

r33per and budda like this.