Cheapish Locking Tuners

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Dineley, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Want to swap some hardware on my Epi Les Paul don't feel like dropping 100 on hipshots... Any cheap locking tuners that are still reliable?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The cheapo ones on eBay and Guitar Fetish aren't absolutely awful, but probably not an upgrade.

Tuners don't really do anything. It's the nut and overall setup that affect tuning stability.

3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah I want to swap green keys for black hardware and and lockers for string changes, nut is already replaced with tusq. And will likely at least splurge on tone pros or hip shot bridge just trying to save a few bucks on tuners and stop bar

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Kiesel's locking tuners are alright (better than Sperzel) and they are $54-66 depending on the finish.

5. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Gotoh locking tuners are pretty cheap and are fantastic

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Planet waves trim-locks are around 60 and they are 18:1 ratio and they cut the strings for you

7. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Slap some used schecter locking tuners in there maybe?

8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The GFS ones are probably fine. I've used their non locking ones and they work fine.

9. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Thanks those look perfect. Dont want to spend toooo much on mostly cosmetic changes

10. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

Are Hipshots $100 in Canada? They are $50 shipped on Ebay in the US, and are my choice at that price range.

I prefer the Hipshots, but the GFS Wilkinson lockers are solid in my experience. They have a "Sperzel Style" that I haven't used, but may try in the future just because I like that locking style better (with the bottom tuning knob like Hipshot as opposed to the top locking mechanism with ball bearing for the Wilkinson).

The Wilkinsons sit kinda high, look a little goofy to me. Only $2 cheaper than the Sperzel style, $33 vs $35.
    GFS charges shipping too, but again, not sure how that applies over the boarder or if prices are much different.

11. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I
    looks like ebay ones with shipping come to pretty much 100 canadian, GFS ones look like the way to go, and definitely sperzel style, locking button is key, I will poke around some more on ebay too for other brands.

12. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Ive had a few set of the JinHo Locking tuners from aliexpress,these are sold as Wilkinson/Vanson here in the UK,only dif is there about half the cost stright from china....

[​IMG]

Seller i've purchased a few sets + other OEM parts from is from is Kaynes Musical Shopping Store

they are $37-48 CA atm depending on finish/color and there sent via free tracked shipping,took 2-3 weeks to the UK,id guess a bit longer to CA,+ most ali sellers also under mark item values on shiiping so a lot of times they pass under taxes/duty thresholds.

other seller have locking tuners on ali aswell but take a good look at the feedback + pics from any set you might like to buy via ali,this seller is good but/honest but others use fake pics and send out lower qualitiy trash (ive had this on ebay and amazon so ali is not the only place doggy sellers hang out).

Dineley likes this.