Charvel Pro Mod DK vs Ibanez RG550 (2018)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Deadpool_25, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Been wanting a super Strat with maple board and already have a new RG550 on preorder but just saw the 2018 Charvel lineup and some of them look pretty sweet. Always liked the So Cal and San Dimas stuff. I’m not sure how I’d dig the Floyd vs the Edge though.

Any thoughts on these? I know it’s tough since they’ve not even out yet, but damn...both look so good.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If they arent out yet, everything is speculation :lol:

3. Deadpool_25

Probably a good thing because if they were my dumb ass would probably get one of each. :(

xAGx likes this.
  4. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

The neck on the Charvel will be a little thicker, pickups are better on the Chravel (my opinion), hardware (tuners, bridge, etc) is probably better on the RG550, Charvel is alder, RG550 is basswood.

The choices are really a personal choice, my dealer is getting both, but I doubt very seriously I will like the RG550 better (not a fan of thin necks anymore).

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  5. Deadpool_25

I think I’d like the Charvel neck a little better. The pickups can be swapped easy enough if need be so not much factor there. I’d like the trem on the Ibanez better (with the recessed Floyd on the Charvel, I don’t think you could put a D-tuna on it, right?).