Characteristics of Black Metal

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by JustinRhoads1980, Apr 23, 2018.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Not sure if kidding....? Somehow, I'm not sure I'd qualify any of the black metal dudes I've met as being feminism-friendly. If anything, and I know this is anecdotal and meaningless, but if there's anyone who I think could use a bit of feminism in their lives, it would be some members of the black metal crowd I've heard stories about. And I'm far from being a feminist myself, by modern standards.

2. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

Even if it is not intentional, that is the message I personally get from blast beats. But, for example, where most people hear "sad" in a piece of music, I hear "beautiful", so I guess things are very subjective. Lots of people hear what is in Pop terms "angry" and "dark" as "strong" and "uplifting", so I know I'm not alone.

3. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

That is a very interesting statement.......

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

[​IMG]
    Don't read too much into the music dude

TedEH and watson503 like this.
  5. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

LOL, I get what you mean! But my reading things into music is like an after-action report and analysis- I believe that music is NOT some kind of literature; it is primarily a physical experience, more like a kinetic interactive sculpture than some kind of book or coded message. Basically music is physically boning your earholes. This is why I also call the endless foursquare boom-chick of pop music asexual, and disagree that "complex" rhythms are "intellectual". No, they are more feely and and emotional, not "itnellectual" at all. I think the "messages" of music are physically inherent in the music and its performance itself, not in the lyrics and certainly not in the claims of the musicians or critics. For example, I don't like punk at all, because the physical message of punk is laziness. The true proletariat working class music is metal, because what defines the working class? Hard work. Metal is hard work, punk is lazy. So in spite of its claims to be proletariat, punk is really a rich oppressor's vision of the working class, whereas the real working class works hard and makes metal. It's like the difference between a guy who can steal your car, and the guy who can rebuild your transmission. Hate grafitti for a similar reason- the real proletariat is the guy who built the fucking wall, which is probably a Mexican guy in the US and a Bosnian or Albanian guy where I live, not the kid who comes along and shits on it.

bostjan and Eptaceros like this.
  6. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

This thread is implicitly too vague, there are just too many factors that "define" a genre--could be musical, political, aesthetic, etc. The OP started this thread with the intention of focusing on the musical fundamentals, so I'm going to stick to that.

All that being said, I think this rigid establishment of musical rules is bullshit and completely ignores the development of the genre over time. So many black metal bands nowadays that don't entirely fit the molds described in this thread: Deathspell Omega, Aosoth, VI, Blut Aus Nord (and that's just the French!), etc.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

Don't forget behemoth or Ackerkocke, they both started out as more typical black metal and have mutated into black/death metal (with behemoth straying more towards symphonic lately).

8. Eptaceros

Oh there's so many. Ulver, Emperor, Enslaved, Leviathan, the list goes on. Then there are black metal bands from the early 90's that were already bending the genre, like Ved Buens Ende!

9. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

I wouldn’t look too deep into genre pigeonholing with black metal, it’s just an image really...

...Leviathan :lol:...Very ‘Black Metal’ but Jeff Whitehed produces some of the worst music ever to be heard by the human ear

10. Eptaceros

I've been listening to Leviathan for 13 years and will continue to do so until the day I die.

Also, your dismissive view of black metal is extremely ignorant. If you don't have anything useful to say, fuck off.

11. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Ishahn did a series of lessons with Guitar World "Left Hand Path" that is on youtube.
    I recommend watching those and going from there.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  12. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Ideologically the early black metal scene was vapid and consisted largely of incoherent posturing with musicians attaching themselves to whatever seemed "evil". Despite that, speaking with broad strokes judging from interviews with the bands/their lyrics/etc. if you were going to try to pin down an ideology for the early scene certain strains of far-right fascism would probably be a far better fit than feminism. Contempt for the modern world, idealization of pre-modern civilization, idealization of ones heritage, a longing for the return to the "old ways" (pre-christian religions, pre-modern society), a general division of people into either the "elite" (the black metal musicians themselves) or the "inferior" ("average" people outside of the scene), occasional outright anti-semitism and racism, homophobia (multiple murders of gay men), etc.

Bobro and Mr. Big Noodles like this.
  13. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

All very teenager kind of shenanigans! Not that I should be pointing any fingers, my religion is also a pre-christian religion (Starverstvo, the Old Faith, Slavic paganism) and I've got tats and long hair, lol.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

This sounds a lot more like a lot of the black metal guys I've encountered.

15. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

5:35-->

You might not find this guy funny(don't worry, it's normal) but he does point out some typical characteristics

bostjan likes this.
  16. silverabyss

silverabyss

Thought these were neat and simple enough that I understand them

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Most black metal bands do not downtune their guitars. I think all or most of Darkthrone and Immortal's albums are in E standard.

NateFalcon and JustinRhoads1980 like this.
  18. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

yeah, and Emperor, already made clear in an earlier post.

19. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Immortal's second album is tuned *up* a half-step, to F!

20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Estradasphere normally plays seven strings in standard, but when they did a black metal song on their second album, they used six string guitars. :lol: I think it was the only song from the Schimmel-era that used a six string solidbody electric.

Definitely the perception of BM is that guitars are tuned standard, or, if Immortal is tuning up, then, umm, not-downtuned.