Can't find the right pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by spadz93, Jun 4, 2018.

1. spadz93

spadz93 SS.org Regular

Been a while since I posted in here. How's it hangin?

I got a Schecter Apocalypse a little while ago, and ultimately decided that the factory schecter pickup sounded good, but maybe needed a little more bite/clarity.

I had both an invader and a nazgul on hand. The invader was pretty much the opposite of what I wanted, being way to bass heavy and not enough high end. The nazgul sounded pretty good, but wasn't very articulate, and could have used a bit more low end.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't wanna start throwing gobs of cash around in order to find the right sound, but I'm all outta pickups to try (that I have on hand already).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

I have had the same thing going on with my jackson usa in terms of finding pickups.

I can give a few recommendations, but it would really help if you told us what gear you had and what music you are going to be playing with it along with string gauge and tuning. If you wanna go seymour duncan I would look at maybe the Black winters or maybe the pegasus and sentient set?

Another option dimarzio could be a D-activator and a liquifire or titan neck would be a good option.

You might need to start investing some money into this because it might take awhile to find the pickups for that guitar and you will probably have to experiment with different types of pickups unless you find what you are looking for on the first try or two. I would maybe call seymour duncan and dimarzio and ask them about this and they can probably help you out with this stuff since they know their pickups probably better than most of us here. I did that and got some surprising recommendations from them that I would have never thought about.

You might have to spend a little bit of cash, but if you care about the sound of the guitar being at it's peak then it won't matter much, plus if you don't like a pickup set you can return it to the store or sell it online especially if it is mint and take a minimum of a little bit of loss or break even, but be patient there are so many pickups out there and the one you might like might take you years to find after trying multipe sets of pickups.

So for know I would give Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio a call, explain to them what you told us here and they should give you some sets to start off with.

That is all I can say for now

3. spadz93

spadz93 SS.org Regular

The guitar goes thru a helix, and I primarily play metal/metalcore, 10-52 string gauge tuned to drop c, thicker picks 1mm+ thickness, think that covers the bases. Definitely going to give SD and Dimarzio a call and see what they say, just figured I'd pop in here and see if anyone had any ideas

4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

There are several options to consider and I think you'll get a lot of recommendations from people here.
    From the pickups I've tried the ones with the most clarity have been the Mojotone Tomahawk, the Omega Cerberus, the Omega Basilisk and the Bareknuckle Blackhawk. Not that the rest do not have clarity but they're not as clear as the ones I've tried above. The Cerberus is a bit mor medium to high output but it has bite so not sure if it would meet your needs.

From pickups I haven't tried and only read positive comments would be most Bareknuckle pickups, the Black Winters (even though some say they're clear, others not so), the Seymour Duncan Pegasus (more med-high output), the Dimarzio D-Sonic (I've only tries the 7 string version so I can't comment on the 6 string one) and going active the Fishman Fluence.

5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Clarity generally comes with lower output. See if anyone you know has a JB or a PAF to mess with for a bit.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

7. JustinRhoads1980

From that I would recommend maybe the Mark Holcomb set or the Black Winter set. Personally though maybe check out some of the blackouts they have to offer or maybe EMGS? I would definitely bring up the blackouts when you talk to SD today to see if they think it would work for you

8. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

Those two are my fav pickups right now. Probably the first time I thought "I don't need to change them out anymore".

9. JustinRhoads1980

How are the Mark Holcomb alpha and omega set? I am interested in them, but there isn't a lot of demos out there so they are kind of at the bottom of my list.

10. KnightBrolaire

Pretty tight, clear, brighter than the pegasus by a touch. Very snarly mid forward voice on the bridge, great split sounds and good cleans. Good for pretty much any subgenre of metal imo.

11. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

12. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

Holcombs' note separation clarity is phenomenal. It's so clear I don't think I need a boost when I play through my Mesa Roadster; all others guitars that I own must have a boost in front. To be honest if you are an "audience/listener" I don' think you can tell much difference. For the performer/player though the difference is big enough that I can feel and forces me to play differently.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  13. JustinRhoads1980

Are they more aggressive than the pegasus sentient set? I have found the pegasus bridge to not sound that aggressive, I think that has to do with it being a lower output pickup though

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

they are definitely more aggressive than the pegasus. The pegasus can definitely get aggressive as well, but you it really needs some extra gain or a ts-style boost to get there.

15. JustinRhoads1980

Hahaha that is true, I have certain specs though for my sound and I know that those would work for him, but for my style I would like a bit of details in how they are. Kind of fucked myself there with that one :facepalm::frantic:

16. JustinRhoads1980

Sounds good for me then.

17. JustinRhoads1980

Well it looks like for my situation at least in my other thread that I am trying out the BW's first then the Mark Holcomb set