Budget studio speakers recommendation

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Vostre Roy, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Greetings fellas,

I'm currently putting together a little budget recording rig. I don't plan to do anything professional as per se, its mostly to record some clips of the gear I'm building. My goal is to record dry guitar track and then reamp it with whatever piece of gear I want to show off.

As of now, here's what I own:

- Edirol UA-25 interface (old but works well)
    - L2A Reamp box (actually just ordered it)
    - Beyerdynamic TG-X 47 (not 100% its that exact model, I'm not home and can't verify)
    - Audio Technica M50x headphone

Now I'd like to spend under 200$CAD (approx. 160$USD) on a pair of speakers, so Rokit are a bit over my budget. What I've seen in that budget range are the following:

- M-Audio AV42
    - Mackie CR4
    - Alesis M1 Active
    - Pioneer Pro DJ DM-40

Maybe there's other options to consider, that's where I'm asking for help or just having some feedback on any of the models I just listed.

Cheers and thanks for the help!

2. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

if you're willing to go just a bit over, jbl LSR 305's are very good for the price. Got them myself and i love them.

NosralTserrof likes this.
  3. Vostre Roy

Not sure if I'm looking at the right stuff, but a single speaker is like 220$CAD on Amazon, which would bring the price of a pair to over 400$

Thanks for the suggestion, but this seems way over my budget ahah

4. Chi

Chi Niverlare

I can highly recommend the M-Audio BX-series. Whether you go with the smaller 5's or the 8's for a better low end representation. I don't see a reason to upgrade out of my BX8's anytime soon. They do what I need them to do. They look good, sound good and just work!

5. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Take a look at the IK media micro monitors.

6. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Im also looking for budget monitors.

I came across these I had never heard of the brand but they seem to get pretty good reviews, I'm still not sure if I will give them a shot or go with something else but its another option for you to explore.

https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/dpm6b/

7. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Oh damn, didn't notice that you were canadian, that's expensive. Over here you can get em for €105 per speaker.

8. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but I wouldn't recommend anything in that range. I was looking for "budget" monitors (budget meaning $500 in my case) and I tried out a bunch of different monitors in that range, and none of them wow'd me. I think its worth the investment in a real nice set of monitors if you want to make the best mixes possible. The Yamaha HS series are probably the most accurate budget monitors, they don't sound conventionally "good" to my ears but I think they are appropriate for making good mixing decisions, if that makes sense. The JBL's are pretty accurate too, but with a little more emphasis in the low mid range.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  9. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

If you're spending less than $1000/speaker it doesn't really matter tbh.

Get Sonarworks and use it with your Audio Technicas. You'll probably get the best results with that.

10. will_shred

I didn't find anything I liked until I went from a $500 to a $1000 budget and settled on my Focal Alphas. You've also got some good options from Neumann and Dynaudio at that price point.

11. Vostre Roy

Don't think you sound like an asshole, you raise up some valid points but the thing is that I'm really just beginning with the recording realm and I don't want to spend too much right off the bat as it might not be my thing in the end, I basically just want an upgrade over the 20$ speakers that I have right now so anything will be better to be honest ahah. Also, I'll probably just record some quick tracks here and there, nothing really serious I'd just like to learn slowly how to get some decent results

I'll look into Sonarworks, my AT are not the best headphones on the market but they are pretty good at being transparent as far as I can tell and will probably use those as a reference, the speakers will just be for when I want to have a quick listen to the final result

12. will_shred

fwiw, a set of shitty reference speakers is always good to have. At my school we have avatone "mix cubes" which are $250 each and they're designed to sound like $20 speakers. Yes, i'm not kidding.

I use bose speakers which actually probably cost $20 and sound almost exactly the same as Avatone mixcubes. Basically, if I want to reference something i'm mixing I'll check it in mono, on the bose speakers. If everything is relatively audible than, I know I've done a decent job.

13. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

FWIW I've had my M-Audio BX5s for a few years ago and have liked the results I've been able to get with them. I'm sure they're not the most accurate speakers out there but they work, are a big upgrade over basic computer speakers, and my understanding is that what's really important is having a good listening environment before you spend a large sum on speakers.

14. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

For $200, I would buy the best used set of speakers I could find on Reverb.com.

15. axxessdenied

He's in Canada. Shipping will destroy any good deal lol

Vostre Roy likes this.
  16. axxessdenied

I have Sonarworks and the ATH-M50s as well as using M-Audio BX5a's temporarily. That stuff makes a huge difference but it's meant to compliment acoustic treatment. On headphones it's drastic as hell. Definitely makes a huge difference. Remember... studio monitors aren't supposed to sound "pleasing" they are meant to give you an accurate portrayal of what is going on so you can balance your mixes properly so they translate well. Good monitoring will reveal a lot of gross stuff in your mix.

17. Vostre Roy

That guy know the struggle of being Canadian ahah. Add the fact that I live about 5h away from any major (IE more than 100,000 persons) city, used market is a dead end for me.

Yeah I should have mentioned that the room I'm doing that stuff right now is not insulated well and since its also my workshop, you can see it a bit on the picture but the whole wall right of the amps has little storage spots so to make is sound efficient would probably require to get rid of them, which I'm not going to do

18. Metalloutd

Metalloutd SS.org Regular

I have the Yamaha HS 5, certainly they are not great, but the quality / price ratio is good enough for what I have to produce :)