Buckeye Burl PRS Build

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by absolutorigin, Sep 8, 2017.

1. absolutorigin

absolutorigin SS.org Regular

Its been a while since I've ordered a new guitar and I couldn't pass up this opportunity once it presented itself. First Buckeye Burl PRS and I'm excited to say the least. I wanted to turn it into a 7 string, but the top is too thin for a doublecut, so it's going to be a 6 string singlecut. Black Limba Body, Brazilian Rosewood Neck and will have an ebony board instead of the Brazilian shown in the picture. I'm really liking the top and it should be a unique one for sure. Won't be ready till about March or April so it's going to be a while :(.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Much like

absolutorigin likes this.
  3. Airhead

Airhead SS.org Regular

based on this selection of woods, I presume that it will cost a lot of money. it will turnout a pretty one, but it will sing ?

4. absolutorigin

I haven't played a bad Private Stock tbh. Every single one I've tried has been stellar. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to sound anyways, all my guitars sound awesome through the Engl Invader or Marshall Jubilee.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    ThePhilosopher and Millul like this.
  5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Is it getting a stain or are you keeping it natural?

I look forward to seeing the finished product :yesway:

6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Whatever you do, keep Jeff Kiesel away from the wood or your ass. Buckeye burl needs its reputation restored with this build.

Mathemagician and absolutorigin like this.
  7. Airhead

Airhead SS.org Regular

this is not the answer I has looking for, but everybody spend the money in their own special way. spending money on a custom build guitar is one of the best way, hopefully without wife notice. ;)

8. absolutorigin

Keeping this natural. Due to the nature of the wood, buckeye is hard to stain. Staining/toning this beautiful piece of wood is a sacrilege imo :D.

What do you mean?!?! I'm totally coloring this top with bright blues and pinks. The ebony board is getting painted yellow :D. Lol, Kiesel guitars have a special place for me for all the wrong reasons. I hate them tbh.

Not sure what the question was then? But I don't have a wife, so it makes it easier. Even if I did, it's my money so I spend it how I want.

9. Samark

Samark SS.org Regular

Keeping my eye on this build! Great work with these spec's

10. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

That top is gonna be awesome!

11. absolutorigin

Thanks guys, I feel this one is going to be quite special. Buckeye is quite unusual for PRS, and the timing just worked out. All about that wood :D.

12. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

Am jealous :p
    Private stock are the stuff of dreams lol & that top is fecking awesome,gonna be among the most interesting prs evarrr imo.. staying well tuned

Lucky broseph :shred:

13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

This looks like it's going to be an epic guitar.
    But if the top was thin for a 7 string double cut why not a 7 string single cut? That would surely be a double first for a PRS but maybe the universe wouldn't be able to handle that much awesomeness!

14. Airhead

Airhead SS.org Regular

lucky you, no wife, no worries !
    I wait for my RAN Custom for 10 months, how much time do you have to wait before you get it ?

15. absolutorigin

Thanks man, I feel very fortunate to be at a place in my life where I can afford one of these here and there. But I've worked non stop for as long as I can remember and I currently put in 70+ hours a week at my business so it's not all luck :). Definitely lucky still though.

They've actually done a 7 string singlecut before so I wouldn't be the first, but the only one I know of belongs to Munky from Korn. I'm sure others are out there. As for myself, I hate 7 string singlecuts with a passion. When it comes to a singlecut guitar I like going very traditional, so it has to be short scale, angled neck, tom style bridge, pickup rings, 2 volume 2 tone, the whole 9 yards. You can be sure that if this was a 7 string, it would be like my other one which is longer scale, direct mount pickups etc. I don't know, for how open minded I am with specs, there are certain things that I get quite picky about.

Yea, lucky for now since I don't have anyone nagging me for my purchases :D. I was told this would be ready in March or April. So about 6-7 months which is pretty quick on the world of custom guitars.

Edika likes this.