Bought a guitar online, hardcase is disgusting

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by AKan, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:49 PM.

1. AKan

AKan SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I just got a new 6-string in the mail today and I'm loving it so far. I bought it on reverb and the listing said a hardshell case would be included. Little did I expect it to smell absolutely disgusting when I unpacked the guitar; think a mix of potent tobacco and vomit. Not only that, the lining is matted down in several places. It's just gross, it is currently outside of my apartment just because of the stench (even when sealed shut). I'm honestly going to throw it away.

I can't help but feel like I got burned, I would not have paid as much as I did had I known the hardcase would come in this condition. Luckily the guitar doesn't really smell too much.

Is there any recourse for this? I'm kind of pissed of.

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Did they include any information on the case other that "hardshell case included"? It couldn't hurt to bring it up. Ask the seller, first. They might be willing to give a discount, rather than risk having to take it back if there's any sort of reverb guarantee (unless it was sold as-is).

I've had a local store use the same verbiage, and it just meant that they would pulll any random case from the back room that kinda sorta fit...and often not well. It would have to say "includes original case" to get the case the guitar came with new.

AxeHappy likes this.
  3. AKan

AKan SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input! The listing literally just said "Guitar will come with hardshell case." It's actually quite an expensive guitar, I don't know if I would return it just over this but I definitely would have offered like $50 less than I did if I knew I was going to have to throw away the hardcase.

4. silverabyss

silverabyss

Is the interior really soiled? If it's worth your time take a scrub brush, strong oxyclean and dawn solution and scrub the hell out of it, let it dry all the way and let some plain charcoal briquettes sit in it for a while.

One of these bois

[​IMG]

aesthyrian, bracky and Manurack like this.
  5. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I came here for pics

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I was fighting with a stinky case and lost the battle but I was warned it smelled bad. Threw out the case and will be getting a new one.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This is why folks mention when stuff comes from a "smoke free home". Once that smell gets into the lining of the case, it's not coming out.

Toss the case, or try to unload it for $20 on CL.

I suppose you can try talking to the seller and Reverb, but unless they mentioned the condition of the case, I don't see them really doing too much. Perhaps the seller will be cool.

ArtDecade and aesthyrian like this.
  8. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

I feel your pain...
    My esp Kerry king came in a esp case tthat i wonder if the seller didnt smoke in it at night....
    The case stayed in my loving room and my wife was crazy when waking up the next morning
    We’re not smokers, i can bear the smell but here .... no way
    Stayed outside for 6 months, coal, smell products were used , tips i found here and there, nothing worked
    Kept the case in the basement , and replaced it with a gigbag. Sold the guitar a uear after anyways
    So now first question when purchasing is : do you smoke ?
    I had one tthat stayed too much in a guy’s countryhouse toi.... the smell of moisture is great too but that’s another story...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 2:27 AM
  9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

If you're talking about the Jackson Kelly I got from you and mentioned in this thread, I swear it was the one of the most annoying smell I had sensed. It wasn't that bad immediately but it would build up and up and up. With the dump weather here and the fact that I needed to air the room two to three days after I took the case out plus trying almost ecmverything other than dumping it in acid it was just there. I was warned but foolishly thought I'll beat the smell lol!

If the case is unsalvageble but the guitar is great, try and get some money back from reverb if the guys said nothing about the state of the case. If not but still love the guitar then buy a new case and let it go. It's the instrument that counts in the end and if it's a good one that's what matters. You might have saved $50 but unless you plan to resell the guitar, it's not a big loss.

10. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I had this with a 76 Les Paul. The only way to get rid of the smell was to take the lining out, put a thin coat of woad restorer on the inside and re-line the case. It wasn't such a big task.

11. vibrantgermancities

vibrantgermancities SS.org Regular

I had an RG2570 for a while that I got on a great deal from a guy who’d kept it under his bed unused whilst seemingly smoking non stop around it. Case was pristine, it just stank... I left the guitar on a stand for a while with the case open to air and it definitely helped a bit, but it never truly went. When I sold it earlier this year it had ‘case smells’ caveats all over the listing. Let’s just say I finally understood why the ‘smoke and pet free home’ thing was such a big deal on eBay.

(Though if we’re talking about ‘it’s in great condition’ sales talk, don’t get me started on ‘still has the original strings...’)

12. SteveFireland

SteveFireland SS.org Regular

I have a Gibson V case that I can't use because of this. Gave up trying to fix it, I just don't use it anymore.

I also bought a guitar that smelled really bad. The trem cavity was filled with cat hair. It was okay after a good clean and airing.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I thought this was going to be about that "new case smell" that some cases have. I bought an Ltd Ex in ... jebus 2006? Was it that long ago? Eek. Anyway, the big square case it came with for odd-shaped guitars had a really strong smell to it. Not a gross smell, but kind of a plastic-y new product smell. It never went away though. I can still tell which is the right case as soon as I open it.

14. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

15. manu80

@Edika
    No the kelly was not the one i was talking about
    It was not as strong !
    I sent a washburn v to a luthier to have a refin, guy lives in a country house etc...in a brand new case , soft molded one.
    Send back the guitar 3 months later , it was smelling the old moisture from the attic, like mishroom stuff. I removed all i could from the case, washed it , took it to a professional nothing worked
    I trashed it
    Wood, fabric is very smeel absorbant.
    A gibson smell is strange but kinda unique but some are too strong to get rid of
    Some new cases from thomann are awful too...

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Wood and fabric aren't too bad, it's the foam that really traps the odor and is impossible to get out.

17. AKan

AKan SS.org Regular

So I left the case outside open overnight like many of you recommended and just checked on it, its definitely way better! I'm probably going to leave it out for like another week, can't hurt vs throwing out. I'm way less upset than I initially was, and like I said the guitar doesn't smell bad so I think things should be fine.

18. manu80

i read that a charcoal piece could help absorbing the smells

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

I've been burned several times, including a very expensive guitar where the case smelled like a combination of Indian food and cat urine.