Born of Osiris MegaThread! - All things BoO

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Battousai, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Kaura

Kaura Master of Mustangs

I hate to admit it but the comment saying "once you've heard one BoO song, you've heard them all" is kinda true. Last album was pretty good, I give them that but sounds like they're going kinda backwards with this album.

kylendm, squids and Velokki like this.
  2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This literally sounds like it could be a song made of various bits from Tomorrow We Die Alive.

3. silverabyss

silverabyss

The New Reign rerecorded with shitty dry as fuck djent tones

[​IMG]

The clearer synths are cool though

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Based on what Lee Mckinney is saying about his solo album he's working on, I'm much more interested in that.

lewis likes this.
  5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

They really need to let that song breathe more. There's some really cool guitar and synth parts but everything gets buried under the constant duel vocals.

They also announced david the bass player has left the band.

kylendm and Razerjack like this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Start of the end imo

7. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Isn't that like 80% of BOO riffs after the new reign though?
    Silence the Echo grooves hard so can't really complain, but a little disappointed they didn't anything new to the table after 4 years of not releasing new material.

8. Kaura

Kaura Master of Mustangs

New album dropped today. Anyone else think it sounds really thin and narrow? Like it almost sounds like mono with no low-end at all.

9. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Gonna have a listen today - however, I already have a gut feeling that they used the same kind of approach to mixing as the newest Faceless record. All the bass is in the sub regions. Especially Digging The Grave blew my face off. I thought it was a tinny mix with no bass, but you really just need good audio equipment that has that kind of bottom-end capability.

Gonna have a go on this today with Audeze LCD2s and see! (well, hear)

10. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

They've been phoning it in for a while, I think BOO found a formula they liked with Tomorrow We Die Alive and just hit cruise control from there on.

Personally not my cup of tea, 2 songs in and I'm done for the day. It's like anything else, if you take it for what it is you'll find some appeal.

11. MiPwnYew

MiPwnYew SS.org Regular

Gave the album a spin and all I can say is it sounds exactly like you’d expect from BOO these days. Once was enough for me I think.

12. Meh

Meh SS.org Regular

They desperately need a second guitarist. Someone new to bring in some fresh ideas and slap Lee's picking hand every time he tries to base an entire song around:

000-0-0000000-00-0000

This album was decent, but they're turning into the AC/DC of metalcore. Every song/album sounds the same.

Razerjack likes this.
  13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I haven't checked out the album yet but I really like the new video. It's a complete rehash of old riffs and melodies in places but it's still catchy.

14. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Polylinker

I'm not a fan of the mix as it just lacks any bass or "depth".
    I listened to the new album in its entirety and its just overall MEH. Just sounds too generic as if they took all the non-heavy riffs/solos from Tomorrow We Die Alive and made it into a short album with short songs.

BOO kind of died after TWDA. They had some good riffs and solos but just bland structure and just a constant "tick tick" effect in the background (to add on to the constant chugs? I don't know).

Overall not a fan of this new album. That being said The Discovery remains to be one of my favorite albums ever, in its entirety of course.

15. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

Gave it a couple spins today and I actually think I like this album. It doesn't feel as forced to me as the last couple of albums. This is coming from someone didn't enjoy any of their work apart from the Discovery.

16. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Its apparent in their recent live shows that they're trying to transition to a more synth-based, dual-vocals approach, hence more melodic parts in this album. I agree they desperately need some variety to their riffs, but I kind of like the cathy stuff like Under The Gun, and the signature lead parts are still there, so nothing to complain.

Also didn't someone in the band confirm that this is one half of a double-album?

17. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

There’s a few awesome songs in this album, my main issue with everything how they transition a guitar riff into another guitar riff. If that makes any sense at all? An example of this is when they slap a high pass filter over a “solo’d“ guitar that’s playing the next riff then they play it over again without the filter.

I guess what I’m saying is that the structures of certain songs don’t flow for me at all, same time of song structuring done on TWDA and Soulsphere. The good news is that it sounds better than the previous 2 albums.

18. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

Lee stated somewhere that this is part of their double album, I guess the 2nd album is going to be released later this year?

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

havent been the same since Jason left.
    That was when they were at their peak.
    I still like the band alot (havent listened to the new album yet) though

20. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

Between thin rhythm tone, strange mix and random presets from the pop folder for the synth parts, I find this release to be their weakest to date.