Black mirror

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Charles_Rombo, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Charles_Rombo

Charles_Rombo SS.org Regular

Someone here also waiting for the season 4 ?

=)

takotakumi likes this.
  2. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

yyeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh sooooooooooooooooon

Am I wrong or is it premiering later than last year this time?
    I remember having watched all of it prior to christmas last year and this time
    it's closer to new years

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I can't wait!

Yeah it aired back in October last year.

4. Charles_Rombo

The release date in announced for the 29 of december =)

Which isyour favorite episode so far?

5. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

For me probably the one of the bees, but I enjoy almost all of them.
    Some that come to mind are Shut Up and dance, San Junipero, nosedive, and the very first episode of the series (Pig).

The only ones I did not enjoy were ep2 and 3 from s02 (the girl being chased and recorded on phones+comedian bear).

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

My favourite episode as a whole is "Hated in the Nation". Really good story, acting, twist etc. I love how Black Mirror exaggerates and parodies technology and social media but at times its what is going on in the real world. Scary!

"The Entire History of You" is a really good episode and definitely the first Black Mirror episode I'd show someone who was knew to the show.

"Shut up and Dance" is a close second. I hope there is something as horrific in the new season.

Episodes I didn't like is "White Bear" and "Be Right Back". The good thing about this show is you can skip episodes like this.

Charles_Rombo likes this.
  7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I'm looking forward to it

shut and dance was probably the heaviest one. that ending

liked them all apart from play test .thought that one was very ordinary.

Charles_Rombo and takotakumi like this.
  8. Charles_Rombo

Totally agree!

---
    The christmas "short" movie, made me think a lot about "time" and how society uses it. But it´s not my favourite. I think I cannot decide hahaha

9. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

1st one in to the new season. Digging it.

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Just binge-watched the whole thing. First episode's by far the strongest and had me psyched, but also liked the fourth.

11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I finally went back and watched the 80% of this show I hadn't seen. I saw National Anthem years ago and don't remember much of anything other than the basic plotline and not being entertained. I saw White Christmas a year or so ago and remember being impressed but definitely not blown away (especially not by the Jon Hamm backstory half). I saw San Junipero just recently after reading hype for months, and as a result was slightly underwhelmed, but that's my fault for reading too much gushing.

S1:
    Fifteen Million Merits: It's alright, I guess. It's a pretty hollow indictment of American Idol, et al, and it's paced terribly and I don't know what they were doing with crap like the jerky bike rider. It's kind of cool seeing Get Out man as the star. 5/10

The Entire History of You: Well done episode, but I didn't find it particularly interesting. It's just about an obsessive asshole thinking his wife is cheating and how a memory storing/recalling tech can make this even worse. Alright! The two leads are good. Whatever. 6/10

S2:
    Be Right Back: Absolutely fantastic meditation on grief, but then throws in "Her" and "The Monkey's Paw" and does it all brilliantly. Hayley Atwell is the main character, Domnhall Gleeson is the dead husband, and everything with the tech is integrated perfectly. Absolutely fantastic. Until the horrible ending. 9/10

White Bear: DUMB. This is like something an asshole college student that was inspired by A Clockwork Orange would write trying to also throw in a blunt moral about how reality TV is bad. 3/10

The Waldo Moment: Watchable, fairly uninteresting conceptually, the ending is terrible again. If this hadn't come out BEFORE the whole Donald Trump thing I'd say it was way too on-the-nose and rate it lower, but I guess it had some prophecy going for it. The actress who plays the politician is good, but her character is kind of pointless. 4/10

S3:
    Nosedive: I didn't dislike it, exactly, but this is basically the exact same moral as the Meowmeowbeanz episode of Community, only it manages to say LESS with over twice the running time, and it's vastly less funny and ambitious to boot!! It has some good scenes and I like the central performance. Watch the Community episode instead. It does manage to be fairly terrifying to a non-social media person like myself, though. 6/10

Playtest: There's some fun haunted house stuff in here for sure, but the series of endings wears out its welcome very quickly. 6/10

Shut Up and Dance: This is alright if viewed purely as pulp, it's again
    so childishly nihilistic with its "TWIST ENDING"(He's a pedophile!!) that I found it
    eye-rolling. It's more than watchable, mainly due to Bronn. The lead actor is suitably obnoxious, unfortunately that means we have to put up with him for the whole thing. 5/10

Men Against Fire: VERY, VERY heavy-handed and forced metaphor, but the execution is good. There was one really great jump scare. I liked that the roaches looked just like Buffy vampires. 6/10

Hated in the Nation: This has almost nothing to say other than "SJW Twitter pigpiles are bad!!" but it works very well if you just ignore the shallowness and watch it as a thriller. The two leads are great (the always reliable Kelly Macdonald and the Waif from GOT). As a police thriller with a somewhat outrageous concept, it's quite good. Satisfying ending. 8/10

Season 4:
    USS Callister (Captain Jesse Plemons): This is also a near-masterpiece. It's incredibly exciting and has a great dramatic arc and if not for the meaningless classification as a TV episode (it's longer than many movies), I'd put it on my top movies of the year list. It doesn't have the depth of the best of the older episodes, but it doesn't matter, it's aiming for excitement and is often quite funny. SO GOOD. 9/10

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    crankyrayhanky and Charles_Rombo like this.
  12. wankerness

Arkangel (Parental Spying Episode): Dull as dishwater, ending is obvious immediately, but probably the funniest part is how impractical the tech is as presented. Literally everything dangerous that comes close to them turns into a mass of pixels and the sound goes away? How is a kid going to survive any encounter with anything actually dangerous? They at least cover up the "how is a kid going to ID the perp if they get assaulted" thing by showing that the parent can see the unfiltered version, but man, this is the stupidest idea ever and would just lead to the kid getting killed by anything that came close to them. Good luck crossing the street. The acting is good, it's just so damn predictable and miserable. 4/10

Crocodile (hit and run episode): Terrible. The SECOND you see that previously pointless character coming into the episode asking people to upload their memories of seeing an accident you know what's going to happen, and when they have
    the main character really obviously witness someone getting hit by a bus or whatever right in the middle of her committing a crime it's even more awful.
    And it just keeps going and going!!! There's NO reason for the plot to keep going as far as it does - it adds NOTHING and there's not even a payoff. It's pure sadism of the most boring variety. The main character is not interesting in any way, shape or form. This episode should have been 20 minutes, it would have been far better, if equally pointless, and could have had the exact same plot arc with far less of the worthless additional plot details.

They really like callbacks to the song from 15 million credits, huh? I know it was in another episode as well. This one has the wraithgirls, too. It plays like bad fan fiction so I guess that adds to the effect. This dethrones White Bear for worst episode. Hell, right now I feel like it's one of the worst episodes of ANYTHING I've ever seen. 1/10

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Guitarmiester likes this.
  13. wankerness

Hang the DJ (Tinder Society) - Loved it, the leads are great, it's a really engaging romance with the weird backdrop that at first seems like it might just be some kind of rendezvous for singles in a regular-ish society, but then keeps revealing more and more layers of weirdness and menace (the dome as an early-ish one). It's a bit breezy, but it's OK! It's much more satisfying dramatically than the comparable San Junipero as it doesn't have huge character inconsistencies, but it doesn't hit as hard either. 9/10

Metalhead (Black and white)- Solid Terminator-style woman vs robot story. It's tense, it's engaging, and best of all, it's not too long! I liked that the menace was a future version of those creepy-ass four legged robots I've been creeped out by on Youtube for years now. They're a good apocalypse-deliverer. F those things. 7/10

Black Museum (Anthology about consciousness capturing) - This is pretty good, the back two stories/overarching plot tie together well, it's a bit more "fun" again. It's nothing great, but it's good. The first segment was a bit pointless, but kind of a fun grand guignol thing ala all those great 70s horror anthologies. 7/10

14. purplebelt155

purplebelt155 "nothing to see here."

"How young where they? "

Made me sick when I heard it. I really liked that episode. The whole time I felt bad for the little turd then the ending made me hate him.

If you watch the episodes again after knowing the plots they come across totally different. I think it's masterful work.

Except episode 2 and 3 of season 4. They were stupid. They felt like "TOOT! TOOT! Here comes plot twist express! "

15. wankerness

I read someone's interpretation that Shut Up and Dance is about questioning views on that kind of horrible punishment, as if you knew the final revelation from the start, many audiences would have a totally different view of the events of the episode. Like, how it is now, it makes most audiences question why all of a sudden when you find out that one extra detail that everything you were feeling for the person suddenly should go away, as likely just about anyone watching the episode would feel bad for that kid. I guess that does seem likely as that's one of the main things going on in White Bear as well. Reading that did make me appreciate the episode a bit more. I still don't like it.

Charles_Rombo likes this.
  16. purplebelt155

The way they challenge our personal beliefs is fantastic. E1s4 is another perfect example. The antagonist, didn't do anything wrong to real people. It was made clear that the people in the game were just code sequences. Yet he is the only one who received a permanent consequence. The entire episode your on the side of the characters in the game and support the captain's abandonment in space. But really, your just supporting the code. It's like causing someone to go brain dead for intentionally killing Mario when he plays Nintendo.

17. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

I love Black Mirror. Episodes I don't care for and all, but overall one of the best series out there and the messaging is on point. I think the new season was good, but none of the episodes made a 'favorite' cut. I watch 'Be Right Back,' 'Shut up and Dance,' 'Nosedive,' and, of course, 'San Junipero' every now and then.
    I'm mixed on how I feel about all the call backs in this season and linking it to one universe. I can see the positives, but feel like that's trying to make it more of a cohesive whole, which isn't horrible, but I prefer the takes on probable dystopias individually. I think 'Black Museum' had some concepts that were better than others and could have been good enough episodes on their own.
    Maybe I just disliked the museum owner enough that I was too eager for him to get killed off!

18. feraledge

I don't like saying it, but there is a degree of relating to this episode as a parent. I see how my parents are with my daughters at times and could see the chance that, if it was an option and they had the choice, they would do this. It's not a far cry. I know a number of parents that buy the WiFi connected crib cams and then don't seem to turn them off when a kid is rightfully beyond having any need for that kind of surveillance.
    I think the bigger question is about where we draw the line and seeing kids get used to an insanely invasive technology. So while there are practical elements that can be harder to suspend disbelief for, when kids grow up with social media and the ability to live stream or record any dumb thing they're doing, at a certain point, once accepted as a presence, is an implanted recording/transmitting device to the eye all that different from your kid having their phone in front of their face and streaming anything without thought?

purplebelt155 likes this.
  19. purplebelt155

Those are pretty good points. I got 4 kids and thought "yeah I'd probably like to know where they are via GPS at all times". It's easy for me to say I'd remove the option as they got older but I doubt it'd be easy. Also if my girls are doing coke and boning 18 year olds at 15 I'd wanna know.

The censorship part I never connected with. Like the dog getting blurred out. Kinda over the top for me.

20. feraledge

That said, as a parent you're going to be familiar with that kind of weirdly pushy version of acceptance that people have. Like when something becomes an option you're the bad guy for not wanting to take it. It's a slippery slope deal, but I thought one of the best aspects of that episode was kind of like, "you care about your kid? Why don't you just have this option, you don't have to use it." Which, of course, leads to everyone using the worst options and feeling totally okay with it. Comparing that to the reality of cell phones and social media, doesn't even take that long.

Charles_Rombo and purplebelt155 like this.