BKP A-Nailbomb in Schecter C1: i still don't feel comfortable

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Rizzo, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

EDIT: I was wrong... Red is still hot. It's black and green that I typically mix up. My bad... I also just noticed you said it was set up for coil splitting... I'm not going to be much help from here on out...

I'm not sure how good you are at reading a schematic, but check this out.

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/schematics.php

2. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

3. Konfyouzd

Essentially you want the closest thing to your setup. Unfortunately when looking up schematics you can't always find exactly what you're looking for. It's really the connections that matter, though. For instance (this is purely an example, don't take anything I'm about to say literally as far as the colors go): If the push/pull element in the schematic has both pickups' green wires going to it, make sure that's the case in yours and afterwards check to see if they're to what appears to be the same spots on that push/pull element. I'll look through the schematics and see if I can be a bit more helpful in just a sec... Shit's about to get real at work. :lol:

EDIT: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ma...vol_push_pull_coilsplit_tone_3_way_switch.pdf

This one is the closest thing to your setup.

After looking at it, the red wire going to your push/pull looks incorrect to me based on the schematic unless you wanted it wired to split in a way I don't understand or that is different from the schematic. I can't be 100% sure but I believe that red wire and it's corresponding green wire need to switch places.

Something about that white wire on the far left (or maybe it's the right side and the cavity is upside down?) lug. Perhaps it's just wire he used to extend a red one, but if not, that may be wrong as well. It might just be a good idea to try and get a copy of this schematic to the person that wired your pickups and have him/her double check everything.

4. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Thanks! I'm pretty paranoid with my rig so i always want to be extra sure about everything :lol:
    I'm away from home again, i'll re-check by myself, schemes handy, asap.

5. Konfyouzd

No problem. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

6. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

No problem, you're welcome! :metal:

7. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Hey there, basically necrobumping myself for further help.
    After 5 years (wat? yeah :lame:) I had the opportunity and time to get the electronics properly checked and it's all wired correctly as per scheme. Except for linear pots, which I find useless and will soon fly out for log pots. I'll also change evertyhing for quality CTS pots since a friend has some spare stuff lying around.

So to recap basically, the fact was:
    The output is there (so diregard "body" comments on my opening post) but I (and my at-the-time guitar teacher as well) always perceived the A-bomb as overly dark and somehow muffled (with respect to mids and treble) and also a bit congested on bass/low mids on any kind of tone, especially compared to the neck pickup in the above mentioned Schecter which is a Duncan Jazz. Which is kinda absurd in the typical bridge VS neck pickup comparison, since the neck is regularly bassier by nature.
    In the metalcore band I had at the time, I remember I had to cut a generous amount of lows and crank any mid-frequency control I had at my disposal to get the mids I wanted and also cut through the mix.

At the time I had a Zoom G2 (played through different amps), I now have a Pod HD through a FRFR and experiencing the same problems, to my taste at least.
    I had some reflection. On forums, I'm finding about 0 people defining the NB as muffled, dark or lacking mids/treble. Which makes me think. And at the time I contacted Tim of BKP for the purchase, I remember I insisted in explaining my preference for mid-heavy tones and he reassured me on the NB.

In addition, realizing I grew up on a strat with hot rails and with 80s-90s rock and metal tones in general (think Maiden, Death, that ballpark), by default my ears probably have distorted expectations with respect to different guitars. Maybe I'm expecting a mahogany guitar to be way more open, singing and airy than it is when it's just not? I also know I'm a treblehead on my general music listening preferences. Also, by contrast I realized the duncan Jazz is actually an exceptionally bright neck pickup, for neck pickup standards. So everything considered, I'm kinda confused by now.

I doubt futher fiddling with the NB's pickup height will solve the problem. My question is: would changing pickup solve the problem, or it happens that am I just a strat kind of guy?
    In the earlier case, by mere logic I'd think about a very mid/treble oriented, open sounding pickup as maybe the duncan JB which would probably counteract the muffling properties of mahogany. And it's also the stock bridge pickup on most of the Schecter/ESP lines, together with either a '59 or the Jazz itself, so I probably can't go wrong (also for correct neck-bridge voicing matching). But the JB is also a very traditional pickup, that most likely has completely different applications than the NB...

More context: if anything, it would be probably better to have a balanced or "excessive" pickup that I could EQ to taste, rather to find myself with some frequencies missing. Old adage "you can't boost what isn't there, but you can always cut". In fact I think this point is proven by my old hot rails, which I'd just slightly scoop when it felt too much cutting, as opposed to the NB which I have to stuff with mids to the point of competely altering its original character, and still fail in the process.

Also, I find fascinating what happened with my old strat. I revamped it and modded it HSS with some GFS pickups I bought almost randomly (zero geeking in the purchasing phase, just hit "buy" on the first humb and singles I spotted with the attitude of just having the guitar functioning again) and I love them. Maybe for the fact they aren't voiced/specialized for anything specifically, so just a tad EQing and there I went.
    On the other hand, I invested a ridiculous amount of research on the NB and I supposedly failed, that's hilarious. It makes me think of how much the pickup market is...well, marketed. And with so many variables, how much makers make us think we need a specific pickup for any single nuance of a genre we play. It's really hard to pick and choose.

Long story short I'm confused and I really don't know, fact is I never want to go down the boutique route again as it's too much peculiar. If anything, selling the NB would totally cover the purchase of another duncan. But I don't know if that would be a sensed move. I'm also debating if I should sell the Schecter at all, but it's such a quality instrument.
    Depending on what you think is the right move, I'll discuss other pickup choices in greater depth if that's the case.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

rebel yell or omega /end thread

9. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Bump for more opinions?

10. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Your Nailbomb is clearly broken. Out of generosity I'll take it off your hands for €20.

11. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

You should post a clip of what you feel is muffled/dull