BKP A-Nailbomb in Schecter C1: i still don't feel comfortable

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Rizzo, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

As the title says, i've been using an alnico NBomb in my all-mahogany (+ ebony fboard) Schecter C1 for almost one year now.
    I'm still feeling it's lacking mids and "balls" (i currently play through a Zoom G2, 5150 sim, and to get a nice metal tone i need to crank up the mids on the eq and still boost them with a booster. i think it's a pretty huge adjustment from a pickup's natural tone). IMHO, even after the mid-boost, it's not as "full" sounding as i expected it to be. Actually lacking some "body" (or "meat"? How do you say that? lol).

Well yeah i love open, mid-heavy tones but what the hell this adjustment feels lame to me :scratch:

Important note: i didn't change any of the electronic parts since i bought it (pots, wires, condenser, etc.) so this could be one of the problems. I'm thinking of doing it in future time.
    Then i'm asking: do i really need to change components in order to get it to sound as its best (will it make such a great difference?), or did i just buy the "wrong" pickup?

2. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

Was your C1 a Hellraiser with actives or did it come stock with passives? If it had passives stock, then your stock pots are fine to use with the BKP. If it had actives, then you need to change your pots.

Have you played your guitar through a real amp? The alnico Nailbomb is quite full sounding and should have plenty of balls.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

It's a C1 Exotic Star, passives stock.
    I thought that maybe, the stock low (?) quality circuit could "harm" the quality of the pickup, so maybe i'd need some new pots, condenser and so on. Am i wrong so? The guys at BKP also advised me for getting a PIO condenser.
    My own rigs features a Marshall MG, still waiting for an upgrade lol, but i tested the guitar on some Blackstars and EVH. Maybe it's just an impression of mine...

4. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

Check the height of the pickups, bkp s are quite sensitive that ways.Adjust the height of the pickups till you get a more beefier sound. You may have the pickup set too low.

5. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I usually set the pups quite low to get more clarity, but maybe it is really a tad too low.
    I'll try again thanks!

6. vondano

vondano SS.org Regular

this is the problem.

you got a good guitar, with great pups, but are playing in a paper amp. (no offense)

try it with an axe-fx or a real amp and come back to us a changed man! :D

7. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

I find this a good starting point for pickup heights regarding humbuckers in the bridge position.

You need to measure the heights from the top of the polepiece to the bottom of the string while the string is held down at the highest fret, usually 24th.
    For the bridge pickup a good starting point is a gap of 2mm on the low E side and a gap of 1.5mm on the high E side.

Try that and see if it helps :)

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  8. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Offense? None! Infact, that's the sad truth :lol:
    Long story short, i was actually saving up for a new amp or processor unit, when i found an absolute bargain on that Schecter and immediately bought it with that money. Sadly, it was third-hand and the pickups were about gone so i had to change both. A GAS attack sent me to BKP and here i am: awesome new guitar, still shitty rig! :lol:

9. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

Oh another think that could be an issue is the orientation of the pickup. I would assume the nailbomb has six screws and six poles. Are the screws towards the bridge or towards the neck?
    Having them the wrong way on some pickups can change how the pickup sounds.

10. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Thanks!

A quite important thing i didn't mention is that i grew up with a Hot Rails equipped strat, and that pickup was really hot and reaaaally mid-heavy.
    I wanted something alnico, a bit quieter and more versatile on the Schec, so maybe my ears are missing that mid-heavyness above all. Might be...

11. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I honestly can't remember (i'm not at home right now and won't be for the next 2 weeks) but i think it's setted up the right way.
    I will confirm its orientation as soon as possible.

12. the_heretic_divine

the_heretic_divine The Fruit Bat

Truth. I feel people make the mistake of putting WAY too much stock into their pickups. What you're playing through is more important. Half my guitars still have stock pickups,and they sound great.

13. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Who installed the pickups? Did you get mixed up on which is the hot wire? I did that once with BKPs and mine sounded REALLY strange...

14. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I got the job done by a luthier, but knowing BKPs have different colors for their wires he could have messed up, but i advised him for that and don't want to be such a pessimist :lol:

15. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I had DiMarzios installed by a tech once and he wired it assuming green was hot. It may be worth a quick peek when you get a chance. :2c:

16. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I will post a pic of the circuit as soon as i possibly can!

17. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Haha welcome to the club. Always something needs an upgrade...always

Gmork likes this.
  18. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

:lol:

19. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Ok, back home. Here i am with some poor quality pics (sorry, it's the best i can do)

Coils orientation, #1
    [​IMG]

Coils orientation, #2 (sorry, this one has been uploaded rotated, don't know why)
    [​IMG]

Circuit, #1 (remember it's 2 vol, 1 push pull tone for coil splitting. i hope something's noticeable)
    [​IMG]

Circuit, #2
    [​IMG]

Circuit, #3
    [​IMG]

And the last one, circuit, #4
    [​IMG]

If you can't tell anything, tell me what to check for.

20. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Bump! I posted the pics. Could anyone help? :rolleyes: