Big Wide Nuts for Bass Player to Finger

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by TheEmptyCell, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

You should be well covered in that respect then - were you aiming towards something super wide I could see that resulting in an expensive custom neck, but as per your description, you could get away with any wider nut neck, so do have a look around! I still suggest trying the capo trick so that you get a feeler for that "ok, this is good" point where the width is working for you, so that you can then search for something with a guideline of what you know works for you.

2. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Just looked at the super wide necks from Warmoth. 1 7/8” nut with a 2 5/16” heel but they fit a standard fender body rout as they neck down where the neck fits into the body. Might be worth looking at.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Some people have really taken my posts the wrong way, it's quite shocking. I don't imply anything.
    I didn't, i wrote standard guitar spacing design "seems to be [...] a more [...] non-technical approach". You're creating an implication from this.
    Good point, wider spacing means a wider neck, which makes things more difficult, so it's a balance, especially for ERGs.
    I didn't write or imply anything about people being 'less than me', or being more 'basic and less technical' if they don't do it my way, or being 'beneath me'. If you try hard enough it may be possible to twist it into something offensive, but doing so is your mistake or your intention. My posts are about design approaches to guitar, not about guitarists.
    I didn't write or imply what you claimed i did.
    Of course i wouldn't claim this. It's obvious that standard guitar spacing allows technical playing because technical playing exists, i never stated the opposite.

And yes, i am a crappy guitarist and do need to practive more, however as stated this is irrelevant to some of what i write.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  4. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

It would appear that this thread has, in fact, fingered some nuts.

NickS likes this.
  5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

how long have you been playing guitar?

reason on why the many post of "practice" is because every single person who plays guitar has come to that exact problem at the beginning and other stages of their journey. Its part of the learning curve, same way that you ahve to learn to sync your picking hand with your left and being able to to pick without hitting the other strings, you need to learn how to fret a chord without muting the other strings, AND with mutting the right strings too.

I had the same problem you have when I first started playing guitar, couldnt understand why it was so hard to fret a chord, even simple chord shapes, found it stupid how tight the string were, and at that time I was already playing The Dance of Eternity from DreamTheater on bass, in my mind wasnt because I "lack technical skills" ..... but ym problem was that I had skills.... for bass.... and the guitar technical skills are indeed different, and it took me a while to learn... heck even today I sometimes still struggle with proper string mutting, and couple of clean ringing chords shapes

Maybe you do indeed have huge hands/fingers, if so then yeah theres a few options of necks with wider string spacing, but also understand that peoples responses here and advice for you to "practice more" is because your comment liek the one I quoted have been the same issue every single person here has faced earlier in their guitar playing journeys

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

That's deep XD

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Los Angeles / Nashville / Syracuse / Belfast
    Of course I need to practice, I get that. I’ve owned guitars as long as I have basses, over half my life now. I personally feel that I will improve more quickly and much more comfortably and want to practice more frequently with a guitar with a wider neck.