Best guitar shapes for classical position (and what companies make 7 strings of them)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by jco5055, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Playing in "classical classical position", you don't have two legs on the floor by definition. Some guitarists have both feet on the floor and use a guitar support e.g. Ergoplay - doesn't work with electric guitars though.

Dcm81 likes this.
  2. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

Exactly this! That's why the Strandberg shape is perfect for the classical position. Basically any guitar where that area is more accommodating to the shape of your leg, instead of the exact opposite like, say a super strat shape. But if it is rounded like a strat etc., then at least remove the strap pin - damn those things dig into your thigh!

3. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

For classical position, Strandberg hands down. Never used to play in classica position until i got one. Sits amazingly well

4. Nlelith

Nlelith SS.org Regular

I use a shoe box stuffed with other cardboard to elevate my leg while playing. Works well.

5. Angel0fshreD

Angel0fshreD shredaholic

Xiphos for classical position!
    Not the best shape but much more comfortable than my les paul in the same position!

6. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

I agree, Warrior and similar shapes work really well. Besides that, Strandberg, Skervesen Shoggie, Ormsby Goliath and all that kind of shapes or even Abasi Guitars. It comes all down to how the lower area of the guitar, where the controls are usually located, is shaped.

Here is my Boden, of you have the strap as short as I do, the guitar will be in the exact same position relative to the body/torso/arms no matter of standing or sitting. The guitar every so slightly hangs on the strap, even when sitting down. It also slightly touches the leg but does not completely rest on the leg.

That is the main advantage of this style of body shape in my opinion. That said, this is not really the "classical" position since the guitar does not rest on the left leg. It is something between the classical and the position with the body on the right leg.

(Sorry, only 6 string :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I rest my Goliath same way as your strandberg, with that lower cuttaway on my right leg, but I also rest the guitar on my left leg too on the standard cutaway too. I just need to elevate my leg on something, usually the edge of my desk lower draw, in that way both my legs align perfect with the two cutaways of the guitar and I wont have to rest the tunners against my right leg like most people do, instead to use the actual shape of the guitar.

its perfect but sometimes I get tired and try to change to normal position, but I get tired too quick in there because Im not used to have the bridge so far back, either due to the extra scale lenght or just the shape of the body. Like I said Im used to my Ibanez Iceman (25,5") so resting it on my right leg had the bridge on a perfect position for me (or I jsut grew up with it)....

8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Another +1 for the Jackson Warrior. Perfect for classical position.

xzacx likes this.
  9. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Tom Drinkwater’s oxc design is Insane for classical positions

10. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

I would recommend a Jackson Chris Broderick USA.
    He designed the body for the very reason you mentioned. Not only sitting down but he designed it to keep it's classical shape when standing up. It also has a Mahagony body and neck and Floyd Rose Pro which are more comfortable than the Original Floyd.
    I would look into that if I were you, I missed out on a Trans Red one a while ago and I'm still pissed about it.
    I saw people recommending Strandbergs. They are a good option but make sure you try one if you are going down that route. For me, the neck shape is a problem as ithurts my hand so it's important to try it before.

11. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

The body shape is slightly offset but it is still more or less a Super Strat and will sit the same way on the legs, right? So, it is as "comfortable" in the classical position as any Super Strat?

12. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

This http://www.mundomusicgear.co.uk/mundo-guitar-support/ does a much better job. I, and specifically my back, wish I hadn't spent so many years with my left leg on a stool.

13. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

thesnowdog likes this.
  14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

thats pretty awesome!

Im calling it now... that would be the next hot thing going around on the youtubers channels

15. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I think most folks that use the phrase “Classical Position” are referring to the “Head to Head; Heart to Heart” position and orientation of the guitar and not the specific (and acknowledged as the worst part of Classical Position) foot on a stool, slightly leaning over, body position. Even if you’re primarily a Classical player, the tendency is to get away from the footstool and use something that keeps the guitar in the proper position with two feet, flat on the floor.

My daughter’s teacher, and every instructor from the Masterclasses she’s attended have used supports and pushed a more ergonomic, feet-flat, no-lean position. The only exception are for the guitars too valuable to risk damaging with a support.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 3:22 AM
  16. thesnowdog

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

good idea, but I feel its a really bad choice to use those suction cups. It all be good till they go *pop*pop*pop*pop* in the middle of playing and then guitar goes down scratching the metal rods into the finish. It doesnt take much to one of those to fail, and once one goes down the other 3 would follow

18. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I'll be keen to see if his Rhoads makes production, that thing is amazing for classical position.

19. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Best classical position guitar I've touched so far is the Steinberger ZT3, by virtue of the curved kickstand.

[​IMG]

thesnowdog likes this.
  20. thesnowdog

I've been meaning to fit one of those to one of my guitars for years. I've also been meaning to pick up a ZT3...so many plans.

Hohner used to stock them but it seems they've closed their parts shop (and maybe even their guitar production?).

For anyone who wants to give it whirl Headless USA have them.

ElRay likes this.