Best guitar shapes for classical position (and what companies make 7 strings of them)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by jco5055, Jun 7, 2018.

1. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

first, apologize if this has been discussed before, but the search function seems to be down.

So for some background, I own an Ibanez RG 7 string (can't remember the model number but it's the equivalent of that $500-$700 trem version, except it was made in Japan), that I bought after selling my first ever 7 string, a BC Rich Marc Rizzo Stealth. The reason I sold the Stealth was because of the terrible neckdive, and honestly because of that I pretty much was turned off from "extreme" shapes, and if you were to ask me my dream guitar I'd say something like a Strandberg etc.

Now I got an urge to get a second guitar, and I was leaning towards getting a V/Rhoads shape, and figured since I'm still gonna have the RG if this guitar has terrible neckdive etc I can just use it for studio work, and I knew I'd most likely just get a 6 string because of the availability (or lack of) of 7 string Vs.

Anyways, I got the guitar I bought (a used BC Rich Kerry King V) and honestly, I'm finding I LOVE the shape...particularly because the "natural" position both sitting and standing is I guess the classical position, where the neck and such is a lot more vertical than how most play, even if you put the guitar on your left leg (think like how Oli Herbert plays) and I find that actually best for me...I can finally do the widest stretches etc and not have to put my foot up Petrucci style and such.

Now, after all that, I was wondering what other shapes are ideal/natural for this position? It seems like most guitars that would be considered optimal comfort, basically the superstrat shape, is a more horizontal position.

Also, with that said, what companies out there make 7 string Vs/shapes optimal for the more vertical position? The ones I know off the top of my head are like Strictly 7 and Jackson, and then I know with a custom/semi-custom you can add Ran, ESP, Schecter, Agile, maybe BC Rich, Halo, and Waghorn. And it's even rarer if they also add stuff like multiscale necks and such. I actually do have the $$$ to buy an actual pro level guitar and amp and all that but I've been holding off, but I'm starting to get the itch.

Thanks!

2. possumkiller

possumkiller Custom Title:

Gibson did a seven string V a while back.

3. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I do not find that superstrat-style guitars are uncomfortable at all in the classical position. I do find the classical position to be uncomfortable for more than say, 20 minutes at a time though in general. Recently I've taken to switching back and forth when my left leg starts hurting during extended playing sessions.

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I play all of my guitars in classical style, which are all super strats. I find it to be super comfortable. I can't play the normal way of resting it on your right thigh.

gorthul and AxeHappy like this.
  5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

BC Rich Warlock I always play in classical position

protest, AxeHappy and shogunate like this.
  6. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Jackson warrior by far sits very well in classical. It’s a big shape but honestly it’s so comfortable!

AxeHappy, Vyn, Angel0fshreD and 3 others like this.
  7. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Does it have neckdive? I’m starting to wonder if my stealth only did because I didn’t have a high enough strap (they didn’t make petrucci clip loks at the time), as I am playing the v a lot higher than most play.

I would assume that having that v kind of shape at the end such as stealths, Warriors, dean mls/razorbacks may be the key to getting that upright position

8. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Th
    That was the only negative I would mention is that there is neck dive but like any DEAN ML, STEALTH, XIPHOS, V you just need to move the strap to a better position.

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Yeah Warriors are ridiculously comfortable, it's a way better designed guitar than you'd think with how crazy the shape is. I've got a CS Davidson Warrior 7 and there's no neck dive, so I'd recommend grabbing one of the import versions.

10. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

+1 for the Warrior being surprisingly ergonomic and comfortable

11. Jamey36

Jamey36 SS.org Regular

All my guitars are super starts and I only play in the classical position with no problems.Now on the Kelly Bird Bass it's a whole different story!

12. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

xiphos, v's, probably those "ergo" guitars (standberg comes to mind?). I don't have a problem with super strats in classical position as that's how I always play. I find it harder to play with the guitar on my thigh now.

13. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

I wish a local music store had a Strandberg or similar guitar, as I feel like they still wouldn't be vertical enough for what I'm looking for...it seems like the main cutaway has to be by the bridge area for it to work (and what all Vs have in common)

14. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

I can only play sitting down in classical position. Don't know if you have tried this since you don't want to raise your leg but

[​IMG]

you could try this which is much less than a new guitar. Personally, it's a godsend, I think it's one of the best guitar related gear purchases I've ever got. It'll allow you to get your neck more at a vertical angle since the lower horn/body will be resting on a higher set leg.

With regards to position vs body, the only guitar I have trouble with in classical are 30 scale guitars where the bridge is not close to the tail point of the body.

Angel0fshreD, couverdure and groverj3 like this.
  15. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

jazzmasters, teles and charvel stars shapes are all very comfy in the classical position for me. I find explorers to work quite well for classical position as well. kiesel vaders are quite comfy in that position as well. YMMV

17. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

My BC Rich Beast is ridiculously comfy in classical.

18. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

I just realized that it may work, since I could put the cutaway portion near the knobs on my right leg.

When playing standing though is it easy to strap the guitar more vertically? Or would it want to be more natural based on where the straps are?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  19. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Same here, I can only play in Classical position. I use a "Neck-Up" support for my steel string acoustic: https://www.neckup.com/ For electric, I primarily play a Revenger-style guitar, but I have a wide, split-leather strap. Between the guitar shape and the high friction strap, I can keep the guitar in a classical position whether I'm standing or sitting.

Neck-up also makes a narrow support for electric, but if it looks like it won't raise tyhe guitar enough, you cn likely get the Classical strap, but use the narrow sauction cup.

That said, there are a whole lot of classical guitar supports, and some of them will work with an electric too.

20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Ive been thinking about to get one for a loooong time.

I cant for the sake of anyting play in classical possition with my both legs on the floor and I have no idea how people can manage that. or either I cross my legs (closed like "a lady" lol) or I alwyas end up resting my foot on an open draw of my desk, which it works but then it fills the inside of the draw with my shoe/feet dirt lol

also I think its really subjective about what guitar is best. My main guitar for a lot of years wasn an Ibanez Iceman and everything I pick it up I feel like home in both positions, and I dont care about a lack of a bevel, I find the shape being perfect.