Belated NGD Pt. 2: .Strandberg* J8 Standard

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by RiksRiks, Jul 4, 2018.

1. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

I don't know where to begin. I'm still in the honeymoon period so I won't say anything bad about this guitar. I'll try to review this post in the future.

So the story goes like: I'm living in Japan but I was supposed to go back in August. Last month I get a call stating that I was gonna stay for half a year more, my way to celebrate? Buy a MIJ beauty of course. Perhaps astonishing but this is my first MIJ ever! So I went to Miki Gakki in Osaka (great store, if you ever have the chance to visit) not without exchanging about 15 emails with the staff regarding details about this guitar beforehand. I must say that I played A MII Boden 7 string and a MIC Boden Classic and they were great guitars as well by this one just grabbed my attention since 4 weeks ago. I even bought the Matt Heafy Snøfall from my other post to mitigate the GAS.

This is also my first Strandberg, while I understand how some people may not find this shape super comfortable I think it's nice for me, as well as the Endurneck, which I don't find much of a difference to begin with. Arm bevel is just perfect for me, though since I bought it I try to hover my arm over the strings because Japan is soooo humid right now and I'm sweating like crazy all day long that I don't want to ruin the veneer. Tuners are stiff, as the legends say, this may be the only thing I would like Strandberg to improve for future guitars. So, the general specs go something like this:

-Chambered Basswood body
    -Maple cap (top?)
    -Birch veneer in soft pink
    -Matte finish
    -3 piece roasted maple neck
    -Maple fretboard
    -SS frets
    -Lace x-bars
    -3 position switch with push pull knob
    -Luminlay side marker and inlay

I honestly think this is a tapping machine, from the pickups (which i though I wasn't gonna like but just find them fit for exploring other techniques that my usual noob noodling) to the zero fret and string spacing. I have a Kiesel Vanquish 8bstring and it's not as easy to tap for me. same thing for my Ormsby Hype 7 but those guitars will serve different purposes from now on (they're not even in this country right now).

This thing is LIGHT. Again, the legends were true, it's quite comfortable to play but I still have to get a decent strap to take advantage of this feature, the thing weights like 2,2 kg!

Maybe the only negative thing is some yellow stain that I think comes from under one fret and got into the fretboard, but I'm pretty sure it can be cleaned and voilà! Talking about the frets, not a rough edge, sonrounded that I feel like my fingers are massaged gently whenever I run them over all the fret edges.

I don't know if I'm missing anything but well, here are the obligatory pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Whoops, upside down, sorry!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (This one was supposed to be horizontal)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I was really nervous taking this shot)

So anyways, the other negative point about this visit to Miki Gakki was that I played a Mayones Regius 6 for the first time ever and now I want one as well :(

2. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Enjoyed by 4 out of 5

That top looks like something Dennis Hopper would bite on.

3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I wish there were a few more of these about so I could try one.

Not completely sure about this, though.

Matt08642 likes this.
  4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Nice top. I want one of the Sugi collabs even though they're overpriced. You should probably reset that A string though.

You guys don't have air conditioners yet out in Okayama?

5. RiksRiks

Well, I noticed that too, you're right, I thought it was just a minor string misplacement but could be something more serious?

I totally disliked the Sugi models, but that's mainly for aesthetic reasons, I'm sure they're at least equally or better made than this particular model.

Yeah I'll do something to fix that curvy string, thanks for the comment :)

And I don't know about your apartment but mine takes the AC a bit to cool the whole room, and I'm usually looking to play after work, which means super soaked in sweat, at night there's no problem at all :)

6. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I can't tell by looking if it's "this can be fixed in 3 seconds", "this is an unavoidable consequence of some part of this construction and does no harm despite looking wonky" or "shit is proper fucked".

7. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

It's just the string being on the left side of the set screw. Loosen it, hold the string to the right of the screw then tighten down if it bothers you.

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

It can be fixed in 3 seconds, I did it on mine when string changing. I don't think it really does anything but maybe it'll eventually start to wear out the nut, who knows.

9. RiksRiks

It was a) can be fixed in 3 seconds

Don't know why the store didn't notice before though.

It was! Didn't bother me but well, did it anyways.

Thanks, what model do you have? I must admit that I wish the pickups in this one were white only for the looks (i still don't hate them for the sound).

Also as a brief update: this guitar is still pretty stable, it's quite impressive.

Soya and prlgmnr like this.
  10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I have a Boden Prog 6.

11. RiksRiks

That's neat, I'm dying to try a Fusion but haven't seen one around. Do you usually setup your guitar by yourself? I'm thinking whether it's better to take it to a luthier here when the time comes.

12. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I normally do but Miyaji Gakki does perfect setups on everything in their shop anyway so I didn't have to touch anything on mine. I only saw one Fusion and a couple Progs that came into Japan and I guess they're all sold now.

13. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

This looks awesome. Congrats!