Bass preamps for recording directly into interface

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by I play music, Sep 26, 2018.

1. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

And I guess we can also expect an ultra version later, right? With a cab sim and some other extra feature/knob that I don't know what it could be.
    So I need to find out if I need a cab sim or if the sound without is just as good. Does anyone know good free bass cab IRs for some experimenting?
    Anyways thanks for the input everyone, now I have to try stuff and experiment a bit. Good thing is I'm not in a hurry.

2. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

Are the ultra models even worth it as a studio tool? I think I would rather keep the parallel out than trade it for a cab sim.

I play music likes this.
  3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

^ Agreed. Though I suppose it's easy enough to replace the parallel out with a DI box, and the added EQ switches could be useful..

Not sure of any free Bass IR's but I'd absolutely recommend picking up the Redwirez SVT8x10 set - it's very affordable.

SamSam and I play music like this.
  4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Good point, hadn't even noticed. So the ultra models instead of a parallel out have a headphone out?
    Though I wouldn't mind if I could use it with headphones...

5. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

But the B7K is already a DI, adding another one to replace a feature the cheaper model has seems odd to me.

Every DAW comes with decent free eqs which you can easily set up to match the frequencies on the ultras. Plus a cab out for recording is removing the ability to load up cabs in the daw which is a other free plug in. It just doesn't seem to add anything really useful while taking away a great feature I use all the time.

I think the ultra must have been designed for live use where you can use the cab loader into the PA, which is great, but I'm sure a mooer radar is cheaper than the price difference? Then again a separate multi band eq wouldn't be and you end up with signal noise if you go cheap...

I have a B7K, I'm considering the Alpha Omega for live use so maybe the Ultra would serve me better for that.

But now we have the X to consider as well!

P.S. loving your shivs for rock and metal bass! The white ones are the shit!

Winspear likes this.
  6. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

My plan is to use a BX7 with my Ampeg software.

I have tried some cab IR's with my Ampeg software and the result was really bad. The Ampeg cab sims that come with the suite are WAY better than anything I have tried. I couldn't image being limited to just one cab sim.

The main reason I wanted to use an actual BX7 pedal instead of the Darkglass software, it because when you are running two bass amps to split the signal, the one with an extra plug-in always has a slightly different latency.