Bass guitar recs

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by diagrammatiks, Jul 6, 2018.

1. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Been going out to some jam nights. There’s always 20 guitarists 10 singers and 1 drummer. I’m not that great at guitar and the jams are always missing a bassist. I’m thinking I should just play bass.

Need some suggestions. What’s the cheapest multiscale bass and what’s the cheapest usable bass. No agile. Can’t get it here.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Do you need multiscale? Like really need?

The cheapest, good sounding one that really takes advantage of the multi-scale is the Dingwall Combustion, but they’re not that cheap and not so easy to get a hold of since they’re so popular.

The Ibanez SRM are nothing special, the LTDs were limited release so might be hard to track down, the Schecte Stilletto I haven’t been able to try.

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

No I guess not. I thought there might be more options then the ones I knew of.

Best beginner bass?

4. MaxOfMetal

Budget? Do you need a rig too? How many strings? What kind of music or tuning?

You can grab a “playable” bass from all the usual suspects for well under $500, but it depends on your needs.

5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

go to your local store and start playing some basses to get you an idea of what you like in feel, shape, sound, pickup configurations

budda likes this.
  6. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

8. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Isn't AliExpress based in China? Those are probably the cheapest youc an find and IIRC some forum members had positive experiences with them?

Other than that, you've seen my Marcus Miller Sire Review. If you can live with those side-dots.. :donnie:

9. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

Cort just came out with a solid multi scale. it's about $1k u.s. and is a singlecut body style though may be worth checking out even so.

10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I actually like the Ibanez SR multiscales because they don't have an extreme scale length for the low strings. I'm currently happily playing with a 33" scale 5-string and the 35.5" scale for the lowest string on the SR multiscales would be fine for me.

11. MaxOfMetal

They’re not bad basses, I just don’t really see an advantage over a straight scale in either 34” or 35”. I’d rather save the $200-$350 and grab the straight scale SR8xx or SR6xx or even save up the $200 to get the upgraded SR13xx.

When it comes to multi-scale, if I’m paying a significant premium, I want legitimate advantages over the straight scale version.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  12. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

This is basically how I felt after trying one. I didn't feel the scales they chose conferred a significant improvement in balance or ergonomics. Maybe a subtle one, but I also think that extra couple hundred could be better invested elsewhere - the electronics, in particular. On the multiscale they weren't bad per se, but I think the straight fret equivalent with an upgraded electronics package would be a better bass on the whole.

I could see the multiscale possibly being more worthwhile on the six string. I've found the more readily available sets of strings often have a thin-sounding C at 35", and the sub-34" scale C on the Ibanez could actually help in that context. Still makes way more sense to order balanced-tension strings online IMO, but who knows...

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the premium basses are far better in sound and feel. Love those nordstrand pickups, plus hardware is better too, fretwork, and finishes. If you dont care about multiscale go and get a premium