Bass Combo/Rig recommendations/advices for a bass noob?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Kidneythief, Jul 17, 2017 at 6:28 AM.

1. Kidneythief

Kidneythief SS.org Regular

Last year I bought myself a 5-string bass, and I'm slowly going to the direction, that it is time to get a decent gig or band together and finally use it in practice/live. Not just in my bedroom :)

However I'm having trouble deciding on what to play.
    At home I had my L6 Pod HD500 to plug it in, and then just used headphones, that was okayish.
    I'm thinking about keeping it for the effects, might be useful for starting out.

But what is a more pressing matter is what to get for band practice and smaller gig situations?
    Combo, or head&cab? I know it also depends on what I want to play with it, so far seems that we are going for a stoner/sludgy metal direction with a couple of guys from work :)

I have to confess I don't really want to spend that much money on it (who does heh...), so I'm looking through the used market over here.
    What cought my eyes are two combos (from the same seller actually):
    Gallien Krueger MB 112 (200W) seller including a case for it, seems to be lighter and smaller.
    Hughes&Kettner "Basskick" BK-300 (300W), wich is according to description a combo, but can be seperated so I have a head and a cab all-in-one(?). And heavy as f*ck if I read correctly.

Anyone had a chance to try these? Either the specific model or what is the general thoughts on the manufacturers?

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

whatever you do, remember you are going to be carrying that thing in and out of your house/car/gig/venue, and you dont need a 8x10 monstruosity. You only need to hear yourself as a monitor, you would be amazed at how loud some combos can get.

I played all my giging life back home in different scenarios of small stages/big/reharsals/jazz/metal/funk/bar with a Crate BX50 a 12" speaker combo. Mind you in a few gigs I have the poor guy at 80-90% level, but that was it. It weighted a few, heavy as to carry mostly because the shape of it. But small and light-ish enough that I could do it without help or a trolley. So really think about the size/shape/weight of it if you are going to be moving it around a lot. Also if it fits into your car too lol, it happens too

if you can, go and try them and see which one you like the best sound. But take your bass to try them, dont use one from the store as the sound of it would be different

eyeswide likes this.
  3. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

How much money can you spend and what is the used market like where you live?

4. Kidneythief

Kidneythief SS.org Regular

I'm thinking about spending 250-300$ in my countrys currency, from what I'm seeing in the used markets around here that should bring me a "decent" amp, but I'm kind of new on the topic. Hence the hesitations.