Atomic Amps - Amplifire/Amplifire 12 Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by RobPhoboS, Oct 4, 2016.

1. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

There are a few of us here so we can at least have our own thread :yesway:

I picked up the smaller unit, which is perfect for my limited space at the moment:

[​IMG]

And just announced is the larger version with more footswitches:

[​IMG]

Currently we're on v3.0.1 firmware which has brought a couple of new amps too.

I picked my one up just 2 days ago but have only managed about an 1 hour or so playing around with it via the lovely simple editor.
    I'm just waiting for some cables to arrive today but I'm looking forward to trying it out with a pedal or two in front.
    I love that we can just pop in our own IR's, and the size of the unit is exactly why I bought it.

I've gone from the POD HD to this, and instantly there is a huge difference (as to be expected) in tone quality, how quickly things load up and that we're using real world reference numbers/units.

How are the rest of you getting on with it ?

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

I am thinking of getting one myself in the very near future. I had the chance to try one for a couple of hours, stock presets were good. They sound pretty "different" from other modellers I tried, can't tell whether better or worse. But, it was the first time I had the feeling I was playing with a REAL tube amp.

3. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

I'll be doing a comparison between a few bits and bobs, really just for myself to feel/hear the differences.
    I love the TSE X50, it does pretty much everything I need it to do, except I can't take it anywhere with me ! So this is also one of the main reasons again as I think the 5150 sounded good on this unit.

4. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

5. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

6. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

It is really sucky that they do things via Facebook. I have refused to use that time sink to date and do not plan on starting.

That said, I just got an Amplifire for my mini rig and it is awesome. Glad to see it getting an SSO thread.

7. BrutalExorcist

BrutalExorcist Chronic Chugger

The Amplifire is on my watch list. I like that they've included 6L6 and EL34 power amp simulations for individuals who want to use their own external preamps with such a unit. It'd be down to this or a Torpedo CAB for me, and I'm leaning toward the Amplifire due to the possibility of using built-in post preamp effects with it and possibly some other amp tones for tonal variety.

8. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Quick question for someone that has one: does the USB connectivity function as an interface like a Pod HD500's USB does, or will I need a separate interface for direct recording?

9. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

No, just for the editor/firmware updates.

10. DropTheSun

DropTheSun SS.org Regular

My Atomic Amplifire arrived today. Very impressive little pedal. My favorite ampsims after the first day are Rectifier, JCM800 and Vox. The feel and the tone of a real amps are there. Reverbs seem to be ok, but i was little dissapointed on them. All in all, very nice modeler and the size is perfect.

I plan on doing a little comparison between my Axe-Fx II and Atomic Amplifire after i've had enough time to tweak the AF more.

11. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

The key I'm finding with the Amplifire is blending or making your own IR's, then driving the unit with whatever OD or fuzz you like.
    I'm really happy with it, especially as now I've had a few weeks to not just rely on using the unit itself. It shines far more with some other pedals for it.
    I don't dig the reverb overall but set to Spring, bring the decay down and it feels better than the other modes.

Curious to see what you come up with, I'm largely using it for heavy stuff with the occasional stoner bits slung in.

12. DropTheSun

For high gain stuff the good old "4x12 Metal" IR from Axe FX is a keeper for me.
    :)

13. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Question for Amplifire owners/users, do your tones sound as good as those you hear on the demo vids?

14. DropTheSun

It does! Of course the Amp in the room feel is different what you have used to with real amps. But every modeler has this "problem".

Some Amp sims seem to need more tweaking or right IR to choose to make them sound great. For example The Friedman sim, that many guys have praised. I haven't get it to work for my taste yet.

I haven't have real stomboxes for years, but now im planning to build a little pedalboard for Atomic Amplifire. Maybe Pedaltrain mini or Pedaltrain 2 and 3-5 pedals with AF.

15. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

16. BrutalExorcist

BrutalExorcist Chronic Chugger

Major bump from the underworld on this one, apologies if I'm in error of protocol!

After literally years of waffling on this purchase as of my last post in this thread, I finally pulled the trigger and got an Amplifire 6 (would have been the original red box a couple of years ago). I've owned it now for maybe a few hours? Initial impressions, extremely impressed! Latency is nearly nonexistent. Amp models so far are so good. Built-in cabs are impressive too. Effects aren't numerous, but I'm impressed with the chorus on initial usage, really my main effect. The built-in presets tend to be pretty impressive too.

Editing is fairly straightforward and intuitive also. My goal was to hook my Engl E530 preamp up to this and use the built-in tube power amp + cab settings for practice and recording. I did just that fairly quickly and saved my first patch. My route is guitar -> ISP Decimator -> Effects -> Boss NS-2 Input + Send (set to minimum just to clean off errant noise) -> Engl E530 (instrument out) -> Boss NS-2 Return + Output -> Atomic Amplifire. I created a quick preset using said chain, the Power EL34 amp section, and the Hot Brit cab, and it's power metal city. I was also briefly playing with an interesting setting using said chain, the Power 6L6 amp section, and the Recto cab, roughly equivalent to the physical variant of how a lot of Youtubers use it (6L6 power section + Vintage 30 loaded cab).

I've only scratched the surface of this and am already impressed. I look forward to digging into the full capabilities of this unit. Of course, time will tell, but worth ~$600? Absolutely a definite yes so far.

ElRay likes this.