"Architects" Ambience - How to achieve THAT sound?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by lewis, Sep 8, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

So Im a massive fan of modern Architects and their use of Ambience in sections where the guitars completely drop out and to bulk up the mix being under Rhythm sections.

examples

AND(1:10 onwards in particular) -

any suggestions what I can do to achieve that sound?. My band has a specific DJ/sampler, using Abelton and a laptop/keyboard/scratch desk live so it would be easily do-able.

I just have no clue what to do to achieve that. Is it strings?. Synths?. What kind of reverb?. Etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

2. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

On their last album 95% pure guitar ambiances with a bunch of strymon timeline bigsky mobius. That s what their producer said on URM podcast (nail the mix). An E bow could help IMO

schwiz and lewis like this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh wow nice!

wonder if i can get close to replicating what the pedal does, using vsts and my pod hd for effects.

what kind of reverb/delay is that?
    also, e bows are awesome

4. Tirmu

Tirmu SS.org Regular

Try a cleaner guitar sound --> delay --> big reverb :)

lewis likes this.
  5. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

karjim is right, those ambient sounds are AxeFx tones. I mixed Gone With The Wind a few months ago and can confirm that. If I recall right, I found for my old POD HD Pro online that was called "Ambidjent" or something like that on Line6's website, and the signal actually had no amp/cab, but was split into parallel for delay and reverb processing. There was also a pitch shifter in there as well if I remember right. You could go download something like that for a baseline.

lewis likes this.
  6. cult

cult SS.org Regular

Just go Delay => Reverb in your FX chain, that will get you there after some toying around.
    Don't be afraid to kill the dry signal completely, maybe use multiple Delays and some modulation.

lewis likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

holy crap man what? you mixed work for Architects? If so i may need prices for my band haha?

also, god so they have Axes, Kempers AND an extensive amp list?. What gear do they NOT have?

as an update, ive found a very very close style clean tone on my HD Pro. (The unit nails clean tones) and it indeed has no amp/cab sounds

8. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Architects had a Song on Nail the Mix a few months ago. If you're a big fan of the band I would suggest checking it out.

Song was Gone With the Wind. I'm not a huge fan of the band, but it was pretty cool to see how it was produced.

EDIT: Here's the link

https://unstoppablerecordingmachine.clickfunnels.com/sales-page14137021

lewis likes this.
  9. cult

cult SS.org Regular

Just realised a mistake I made. It should be Reverb into Delay, not the other way around.
    That way you'll have the reverbs ambiance, the delay following will make it really lush and give it a sense of space.

It's what post rock bands do. Sometimes they add in pitch shifters for an octave up added or some intervals. You've got a POD, just get crazy with it.

lewis likes this.