anyone w takeuchi/lo-trs...

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by trem licking, Jun 6, 2018.

1. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

hello, passing along some potentially helpful info i stumbled across for these trems... original idea came from a post on jemsite.

if your lo-trs or any takeuchi variant trem is not staying in tune with whammy use anymore and your trem posts are shot, order some gotoh/wilkinson vs100n trem studs from warmoth:

http://www.warmoth.com/Trem-Parts-C702.aspx

i replaced my worn out studs with these and holy hell this thing is perfect now! it returns back to 0 within a couple cents from dive and pullup, and my flutter is waayy flutterier than before. these studs fit perfectly in the old stud inserts and are of a better quality material. it is a night and day difference from the old studs. i was going out 20-40 cents on some strings before!

just make sure the stud lock on the new posts are all the way up tight, you cant use them in the old takeuchi inserts because the bottom is hollow and you will only dig into wood, which isn't ideal.

these takeuchi trems are actually very very good... i would say as good as an OG floyd, it's just the posts that are not up to snuff with time.

anyways, hope this info is helpful to anyone out there havin problems with these trems, being that you cant buy the original takeuchi posts anymore

Scordare, Kyle-Vick, groverj3 and 2 others like this.
  2. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Wait, aren't the Gotoh inserts wider diameter than the TRS/Takeuchi/JT590LP (Jackson version) ones? If so, you'd have to drill it out to fit the Gotoh ones.

I replaced two JT590LPs (DK2M and DXMG) with Gotoh Floyds and the inserts were definitely wider diameter than the ones that came with in those guitars. I ended up buying some original floyd rose inserts/posts (since the inserts were the same diameter) and pulling the original inserts (they had a threading which wouldn't work with the OFR posts). I was always under the impression that the JT590LP was the same as the TRS/Takeuchi, but I could be wrong.

3. exo

exo SS.org Regular

OP is saying the Gotoh studs swap into the Takeuchi inserts, no need to drill or change inserts.

4. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

Thanks for this! I am still rockin the lo-trs 7 on a few guitars.

trem licking likes this.
  5. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

Same here, and one of my studs is stripped.

trem licking likes this.
  6. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I feel like the dumbest kid in school for not trying this when I was replacing those trems :lol:

7. trem licking

The wilkinson by gotoh studs are a direct swap... The ones for the vs100n bridges. NOT gotoh floyd. The takeuchi and wilkinson studs are both m6 size/threading

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Nlelith, Kyle-Vick, exo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

I was tempted to have some made from stainless at my work, but I’m afraid the stainless being harder than the bridge would just wear at the knife edges rather than the trem post. These seem like a much better option haha!

trem licking likes this.
  9. trem licking

yeah man these things work great... I'm really glad i stumbled upon that jemsite post. I remember reading on another forum that someone did a rockwell test on the lo-trs and it's just as hard of a baseplate as an original floyd... so even with these harder posts, the baseplate should be fine.

Kyle-Vick likes this.