Anyone use a Torpedo Live?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by InFlames235, Nov 5, 2014.

1. InFlames235

InFlames235 SS.org Regular

Hey all,

I have a Mesa Mark V and I live in an apartment. As such, I really want a good loadbox for silent playing/recording so I can really get the full sound out of my amp without getting noise complaints from all my neighbors. I've heard some good things before about the Torpedo Live and wanted to see if anyone here had some experience with one and what their thoughts were? Thanks!

2. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

I currently own a Torpedo Live and I think it's a great unit. I thought that all of the tube amps I've played through it sounded excellent. The cabs that it comes with are very good as well. I tried it with various IR's but I couldn't find any that I liked more than the built in units.

My only cons with the unit are as follows:
    -You will still need a separate unit to record the line out from the torpedo live.
    -It won't drive studio headphones very well.

Overall if all you are wanting to do is take your current rig and record it silently I don't think you can go wrong with the Torpedo Live.

3. InFlames235

How poorly does it drive headphones? I was hoping it could still sound good for silent playing purposes as well and it seems to have a volume control so I figured that wouldn't be an issue.

4. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Honestly, it's not awful or anything. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and they sound about on par with lower quality phones unless I run the line out to an amp. My pair of Audio Technica m50x's sound wonderful with the Torpedo Live. Honestly if you have studio headphones you probably already know that they need to be amped most of the time for the best results. So this is hardly a con but something to keep in mind if you're looking to pick up a pair of studio phones to go with it.

5. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

Just run it into this:

[​IMG]

6. InFlames235

OK perfect, that's what I thought you meant but just wanted to clarify. Thanks again for your input on this - I really haven't heard a bad thing about the Torpedo Live but it's an expensive (relatively) purchase so just want to get as many opinions as possible :)

7. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Anytime. If you are really satisfied with your Mark rig than you'll adore the Torpedo.

8. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

this...

I use the LIVE and have with a multitude of AMP heads (Orange, Peavey, Marshall, Mesa). As a loadbox, speaker IR loader, poweramp modeler, it has no equal.

I run mine into a POD HD (use the POD for post amp FX only such as reverb and delay) and then into M8 monitors/or Reaper to record.

Stunning results either way and quiet (which is important for home)

9. Der JD

Der JD SS.org Regular

I'm using my Mark V through a Torpedo Reload, which has some similarities but also some differences in comparison to the Live.

The Live has internal cab and power amp simulation. The Reload does not (you run direct from the Reload to your interface/DAW/IR loader. The Reload does, however, offer attenuation and reamping.

I debated over the Live and Reload. I like the fact that the Live is portable. No relying on your computer. No possible issues with latency or extra CPU usage by using an IR loader plugin. But, I really wanted attenuation (really nice with the Mark V) and with the Live you can only use 1 mic and 1 cab at a time if you're using the onboard cab sims. You can use Two Notes software to blend multiple IRs into one and then load that one into the Live but that's something I didn't want to fuss with.

Either option will kick ass. I've never gotten as good of direct tones as I have with a real amp> Torpedo Reload>quality IRs. Beats the Axe II and Kemper IMO (I've owned both).

10. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I had a Torpedo live and loved it. Solid unit and with some of the new cabs that they have on the online store, it is even better. I have a Kemper now and haven't looked back because the sheer number of tones and quality I get out of it is nothing short of astounding. Is one better than the other? I doubt anyone could tell in a mix or live.

11. InFlames235

You mention potential latency issues with using an IR with Reload vs. just getting a Live. I also like the attenuation of the Reload but had concerns about needing to connect through a computer to get silent playing. Have you run into any issues so far with latency on the reload? Also, what IR's are ya using?

12. Der JD

Der JD SS.org Regular

I haven't had any issues with latency, but that's going to depend on a wide variety of factors. A lot of it's going to depend on your computer. The faster your processer and more RAM you have the better. It's also going to depend on what else you've got going on in your DAW project. If you have a lot of tracks and are using tons of plugins latency will be likely. Usually for practicing I just set up a bare bones project with 2 mono guitar tracks panned L/R. These flow into a stereo group channel track that has the Two Notes WoS IR Loader and a Valhalla reverb plugin (helps to make it not sound do dry and direct). One cool thing I like about the WoS plugin is that you can put it on a stereo group track and then process each side differently if you want to (different IRs/mics/EQ). I also run Superior drummer for practicing along with drum grooves. I'm using Cubase and have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface.

If I'm recording a song, I usually try to record the guitar parts early before I get a lot of tracks and other plugins going to avoid latency. Have you ever tried running an amp sim/IR loader in your DAW? Did you experience latency? If not, you definitely won't with the Reload since the amp sim (which often eats up a lot of CPU) won't be in the equation anymore.

13. InFlames235

OK well I just took the dive and I ordered a Live! I'll be sure to report back when it arrives and I get some quality time with it :)