Anyone try the Synergy 5050 (fryette) 1u tube poweramp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, May 6, 2018.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Looking it up now, it seems like power amp prices aren't quite as exaggerated as I remembered. I was thinking $4k-$6k for JUST a power amp. Which, to me is ridiculous and I can't remember where I saw these numbers, so maybe I'm imagining things. Or maybe I was looking at bass amps? I might just be crazy. Still strikes me as a bit weird though. Seems like there'd be a market for a straightforward, mono, basically just the power section out of a decent amp kind of a unit, for a reasonable price.

Gmork likes this.
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the Fryette power station is 600.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Closer to $1k in CAD. Also, I was not aware this existed. Also, being an attenuator made me think it wasn't an amp at all. Also also also, seems like, again, the fact that this exists should mean that an even cheaper unit that doesn't do all the power soak stuff could/should exist if it doesn't.

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Maybe you were looking at tube hifi amps. I’ve seen some in the £20k range, extreme cork-sniffery there.

There have been mono poweramps made, most recently the powerstation as mentioned above, the only others I can think of are the Peavey Classic 60 and Classic 120, which were mono versions of the 60/60 and 120/120 stereo poweramps (both 6L6).

There’s also the EL84 50/50, not sure if they did a mono version of that.

The Randall RT2/50 is stereo but I think can be bridged to mono, if I remember correctly, which isn’t a common feature on tube poweramps. Those go cheap used.

Edit-never mind I looked it up, it can’t be bridged mono but it can be set up to switch between channels, so you could have different tubes on each side.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I was definitely thinking of stuff like Engl or Mesa power amps, not hifi stuff. I know that bass power amps can be pricy, I think mostly cause there's not a lot of them being made anymore (if any) now that class D amps are a thing. I know someone with what I thiiiiiink was an Engl power amp (it a 100w per side) and it was insanely pricy at the time he got it. Easily way more expensive to get that and the preamp separate than just buying a normal amp head.

Maybe I'm just suffering from being in Canadia. It's tougher to find this kind of stuff for reasonable prices.

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

like I said there's no real reason to do this. Mooer has a little 20 watt called the tube engine that just came out but it's also 500-600 bucks retail. It's got a custom chassis.

Just think about it this way.

Something like the 5150 III has 6 or so preamp tubes. So there would be a bit of savings there going to just the power amp of that amp..

But, let's just assume a standard high gain amp with 4 preamp tubes and 2 power tubes at 50 watts...

output transformer - Can't save any money here. It's only used for the power amp.

power transformer - preamp tubes barely draw any current. Heaters draw a lot. However, 3 preamp tubes draw about as much as 1 power tube. The biggest cost here is still supplying the power tubes. Additionally, most off the shelf transformers are wound with extra heater current. You don't really save any money here.

tubes and parts - 3 tubes plus sockets and electronic components. You can save 50 dollars here.

Chassis - needs to be custom made or you have a weird huge chassis with just a power amp.

It's not much cheaper.

I don't think anyone could even build you one cheaper unless they were using all Chinese sourced components.

7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The Synergy is actually cheaper than the Fryette. I dont think the Fryette does bridge mode at 100w. And it is smaller at 1U. But that small transformer can be the deal changer. It may or may not perform and sound as good as the Fryette.

8. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Yes, all good points. Which is why tube rack gear is pretty much dead. Basically if I am going tube these days, it is: amp head. If I am going rack: it is digital where an SS power amp or powered monitor makes sense.

The Fryette PS2 is 50W mono 2U rack mountable. It is like $700. It can do more than a standard power amp but if you just wanted the power section there are so many 50-100W heads with an FX return you could buy for less and you get the preamp too. They're not going to have their transformers scrunched into a tiny box and need a fan either. You wouldn't be limited in tube type or power topology either.

Atomic made a very similar short lived stand alone power amp that flopped.

I was around during the 80s. Racks made sense for a while, they only make a little bit of sense now (mostly for really big acts (IMHO); some of whom are converting to digital). You can still cobble one together used if you are dedicated but that time is pretty much done.

I find the synergy preamp interesting (could run it through a power amp sim and cab sim) but a full blown system is just too much cost for something that (to me anyway) would still feel like it was a compromise (everything going through the same 6L6 power amp section with non-traditional transformers, etc).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I see what you guys mean, I was probably pretty far off with the power amp pricing thing. I don't see the appeal of buying a whole amp for just the power section though. To me, part of the point of the separated power section is to only be carrying around the components you really want. It makes sense in a scenario where you have both of those items already (a pre + a full amp), or maybe you get a really cheap full head to power a preamp you really want to use or something. Or maybe this is gear that won't move around much. But it's potentially really awkward to have to carry a full amp around just to bypass it's preamp to put more gear into it.

In that sense, I really do see the appeal of the 5050 the thread was originally about. A tiny little 2u rack with a 5050 + something like a Triaxis would be pretty cool.

10. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Sure thing and that does make total sense. I do think this is what the rack power amp buyer of today is thinking about... they understand that there is a premium associated with the form factor...

Now who is willing to pay that premium? I guess it really depends on your priorities, budget, etc... I suspect it is just not that many people who are willing to pay it with the different alternative technology in the marketplace today. Really my previous "main rig" was a tube based rack premp+power amp rig; it is now a digital rig with SS power. I suspect a number of people who wanted versatile and compact rigs and were running racks back in the day went this route over time.

I do still find the old school rack rigs fun though which is why I wouldn't mind playing with the synergy stuff or getting something like the PS2 eventually to knock around.Hopefully these folks will get enough business that they will stick around and maybe even prices will come down too. ;)

Having alternate gear in addition to my main rig is always inspiring here and there. :)

11. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I was talking to my amp tech friend and he said the magic in a head over a rack power amp is the phase inverter output transformer relationship. I would go back and forth between my rack rig with a Rockmaster and power amp to my Peavey Ultra a lot. One thing I noticed was how hard hitting and immediate big iron was in the head. But the closest I got was a Marshall 9005. That thing was supposedly two JCM800 power sections sharing a PT and each with their own GOOD OT. Drake I think. Each side had 2 12ax7 in the input stage. It was like a head, you could run pedals right into it. 4 spaces though. Once you add anything else its time to put it on wheels. I had an 8 space with the 1101, G Major and Rockmaster and a power conditioner.

Elric likes this.
  12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The biggest difference between a head and a rack preamp/poweramp is the shared power supply. A head will have a more dynamic feel because they share the same power supply. When the power supply sags, it effects the preamp and poweramp in a head causing the sound to bloom together. In a rack the preamp and poweramp has different power supplies, so it will always feel tighter and stiffer.

13. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

In a way tighter, I guess. But there's a "push" at a loss for better words that seems more powerful and immediate with a head. Makes sense.