Anyone try the Synergy 5050 (fryette) 1u tube poweramp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, May 6, 2018.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I cant believe ive never heard of this before! Why isnt everyone going crazy over it? Im baffled.
    1U, 50w stereo or 100w mono bridged, 6L6s, resonance and presence controls!
    Wow!!
    Anyone own or tried it out?

2. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Look up the FB group. They're good about answering questions there. Synergy and MTS seem like mythical unicorns here for some reason. If I go rack power again I want the RT2/50. They go for around $500 used and are midi plus will take any combo of power tubes.

3. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

If that synergy amp took 34s I'd have one by now
    I'm still interested...curious what people think here

4. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

if you aren’t totally against solidstate check out the AMT SH-100.
    Its a 1U rack head but, you can plug any preamp you want into the effects return and the poweramp section has resonance and presence controls.

All their preamps sound f-ing great (very tube like), I bet their power amps do to.

NateFalcon likes this.
  5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

What’s the background on this synergy company? They have Friedman stuff, Diezel stuff, Fryette, etc. And apparently they’re all designed by the designers of the actual brands. Seems like I would have heard something about this at some point. I find it difficult to believe that the $399 Diezel pre really is the same circuit as the actual VH4.

6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

RIGHT!?!? The synergy 5050 is made by fryette and ya! The modules that fit into either a 1 module unit or a 2 module 1u rack are actually made by the respective companies! Very cool!
    Even here in canada i see the 5050 poweramp going for only $1500 free shipping! I honestly expected twice that

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

definitely not with only 2 tubes. maybe they can make it sound close?

8. Hollowway

Yeah, it’s weird that it’s only 2 preamp tubes. I can’t tell if the syn1 housing thing is necessary, and if that also has a preamp tube? I wouldn’t think so, but the syn1 is too expensive to just be a little housing for it.

I also think it’s weird if Diezel and Friedman actually designed these exactly the same as their own amps. It would seem to be a conflict of interest for them, since people would likely pay $399 and never buy the actual amp.

Right now I’m skeptical, because I’m assuming that these just waaaay too much in the power amps of diezels, Friedman’s, etc, to cop the exact tone with one of these preamp boxes into a generic power amp.

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the older egnater mod and rm modules actually had a shared input tube and then the two tubes.

Most of the Friedman designs are possible. Some of the diezel channels might be possible.

Something like the 5153 red channel has too many stages. They wouldn't be able to do it unless some of the later stages were replaced with solid state.

10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

With modular units like these people usually just pick a few and stick with them rather than swapping the modules in and out. I think I would appreciate the modules in a store to pick my sounds but would not want a pile of them that I need to swap in and out as needed.

The Synergy stuff is pretty expensive. For a dual channel setup you're already about 2000 euros in just for the preamp and poweramp module or the head version. Almost 3k when you add just two modules. I'd rather buy a Helix or Axe-Fx 2/AX8 and a poweramp for that money.

11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Iirc it’s Dave Friedman, Steve Fryette and Bruce Egnater (he designed the original MTS stuff and at one point licenced it to Randall). They took a different approach to the older MTS stuff and have dealt directly with manufacturers to get their own circuits.

The synergy stuff is compatible with old MTS gear so I imagine it’s the same as that stuff. You need the syn1 or syn2 housing, or one of the old Randall/egnater housings. It has V1 in it, then V2 and V3 in the module. Then the phase inverter and powetubes in the poweramp. So only two tubes in the module but up to four gain stages. Which is enough for most amps.

If you add the cost of:

1.) the module
    2.) the module housing
    3.) a poweramp

Or

1.) the module
    2.) one of their amp heads

It adds up quick and you’re not saving much money over just buying a Friedman BE or Diezel. Much more than just paying $399. Plus the poweramp will be different from both of those. I wouldn’t expect the same, but probably ‘similar’.

Check out clips on YouTube some of them sound really cool. There’s a big long thread about them on TGP.

This whole project has been ‘in the works’ and ‘coming this year’ since like 2012, the amp heads I think are still not even out yet. Nice to see it materialise though.

I think they’re working on an ENGL Savage module and something high-gain Bogner right now, there are some pics on the TGP thread.

Hollowway likes this.
  12. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

13. Hollowway

Ah, yeah, ok. Well, that’s likely to appeal mostly to studios and people who like multiple amps. Single amp guys are probably better off buying the real deal.

Any idea of the construction of these? Like, the circuit board, pot mounts, etc?

14. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

I don't have a real SLO or VH4 to compare them to, but those modules sound fantastic through the rt 2/50 op1e mentioned. With a full synergy rig you might not be saving a ton of $ over buying one of the actual amps, but you'd be saving a considerable amount over buying both of them and it only adds up to more savings if you are satisfied with more modules over actual amps. You can also buy the syn1 or syn2 and insert them as extra channels in your existing amp (given it has a fx loop), which negates the separate power amp cost.

I'm really looking forward to the new modules, I already have the old gen bogner xtc and jf ubersonic (uberschall) modules, so I might hold off on the new bogner modules, but I plan on picking up the ENGL savage and BE/HBE combined modules when those land. If I tried to get the full amps of those and the other old gen ones I have modules for, they'd better run off of cigarette lighter power because I'd be living out of my car lol.

I'm curious what folks think of the syn5050 as well though. I almost went for one due to the 1u and lower weight, but since it doesn't take el34's & one of the main complaints about the older modular stuff was that most of them had a similar baked in sound, I decided to get the rt 2/50, vht 2/50/2, and mesa 295 instead so I had some different power amp flavors available for different modules. I assumed the syn5050 will probably sound similar to the vht given it's Fryette designed, but that might not be the case after all. Now that I have the modules and the tower of power to run em through, I've been selling off some amps because I don't really feel like I need them anymore & it takes a lot less space to store modules than amps. As those go it's turning out to be better for my wallet, easier for new "amps" to go unnoticed by the girlfriend, and in terms of the jam room space - there's so much room for activities :D

Gmork and Trashgreen like this.
  15. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I would presume top-tier and better than the Randall stuff, as last I heard it was mainly being lead by Steve Fryette and Dave Friedman, and their stuff is solid. Also I don’t imagine the likes of Mike Soldano, Peter Diezel, etc would allow their names on the modules if it wasn’t great quality, given their reputations of making very high quality amps.

There were gut shots of the modules as they were being built on their Facebook page also.

16. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

The construction on mine seems pretty solid, the left module slot of the syn2 is a bit tight but other than that I have no complaints. Some folks on the mts forums have reported issues with theirs. From what I've seen so far, synergy has been good about rectifying any issues with the units though. Hopefully as more batches have gone out they have upped QC for any issues that might have been somewhat prevalent in the initial batch.

17. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

I am interested in hearing more about the SYN5050 also...especially how hot it runs. I see 2 cooling fans in there which is promising.. I had a Mesa 20/20 and you could fry eggs on that thing. A 1 space amp isn't really 1 space if you gotta have an empty space or 2 for cooling.

18. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

and the transformer is so small. probably that will help with the heat.

19. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Just wanted to intervene a bit and mention that personally im ONLY interested in the poweramp itself. I think itd be cool to run with a peavey rockmaster or various other rack preamps in a 2u case! Or with a tightmetalpro or something

20. Hollowway

I don’t think the idea of using the pre into the loop of a regular amp head is really going to get you an approximation of the actual amp emulated. There is way too much tone coming out of the power amp section to dependably just swap out the pre’s and hope to get a replica. I suppose if you had an amp head like a Road King, or something that would let you select different power tubes, that would work.

Anyone want to weigh in on why they’d prefer the whole module idea to a Kemper or axe fx?