Anyone into Watches?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Keirosen, Sep 12, 2015.

1. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

If you want to get a decent watch, please stay away from fashion brands like DW. I am not familiar with Kent Wang, so I can't comment. If you're looking for a great all around watch with some heritage and brand prestige, check out Seiko and Orient. They both make their own movements for their automatic watches. I started with an Orient (their Bambino) and then after saving for a bit bought a Tudor Black Bay Blue. Since I bought the Tudor, I have not even considered buying another watch. It's absolutely spectacular.

Quick explanation on movements:

Quartz is battery operated. They are generally more accurate than an automatic movement. But you generally will have to change the battery unless it is a solar cell. There's nothing inherently wrong with quartz watches, but from what I've seen within the watch community, these are generally not the preferred movements unless you're getting something like a digital timepiece.

Automatics have a mechanism that winds the watch while it's being worn or in a winder. Many automatic watches allow for the watch to be hand wound, but not all. Most movements have a period of time in which the watch doesn't need to be worn to keep going.

Hand wound requires the wearer to wind the watch. After being fully wound, you'll get a day or two of reserved energy to keep the watch going.

Last thing:

Regardless of what I say, or anyone for that matter, you need to get something you'll enjoy wearing, regardless of who makes it. I steer friends away from the fashion brands because my experience has shown they are mostly garbage quality. You also need to think about your budget. For watch people, $5-8k isn't a lot to spend on a watch. For most of us ordinary people, that's a huge sum to spend on anything, especially a watch.

2. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Ceramic Daytona is high on my list - but if we're talking Grail watches (probably one I'll never get to own), it's going to be Lange 1 Moonphase (in steel if I'm dreaming). I also love their Zeitwerk Minute Repeater.

3. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

Thanks dude, I'm mostly attracted to the Bauhaus because of its design, I would say I have a budget of max 350 USD. Do you know if Seiko or Oriente have this kind of simple designed watches? Also, are automatics and hand wounded precise or something?

4. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

I don't know how much the Kent Wangs retail for, but the rrp of 395 seems a bit steep for the movement used. You are well into Seiko/ Seiko Presage territory at that price. Orient do some lovely watches as well. My work watch is an Orient Ray 2 and cost me less than 150.

5. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Get the Orient Bambino

RiksRiks and JSanta like this.
  6. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

That's exactly what I was going to recommend as well. I have one and it's a great little watch.

RiksRiks likes this.
  7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

As I already cover a lot of ground w/ the ones I have, I'd have to choose a very fine dresswatch as grail-candidate. Always liked the large Reverso Duoface, nothing wrong with a Zeitwerk either. However, I'm having a hard time to justify buying a watch over 10k and I'm happy with what I have. The Aquaterra CW is still my most worn watch...

8. RiksRiks

Thanks! I'll consider checking out the Orients and Seiko Pressages, one more question, do you have any thoughts on the Rodina Sea-Gull 1701? That watch also looks nice but don't know anything about the quality or precision :/ would like to consider it among my options as well.

9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Go with something from Orient or Seiko.

10. RiksRiks

Hey! It's me again, I was looking at Seiko and I liked the design of the SRPA17J2 and it says "automatic with manual winding" so is it kinda like a kinetic but not quite? I don't really get it, how precise would it be? What should I expect? I'm very confused but it really got my interest.

11. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

It means it will wind both by you wearing it and just in case you haven't worn it in a few days, it can be set and hand wound.

And if you're worried about precision, you either need something with a COSC (or equivalent) movement or go quartz. You're going to gain or lose some time each day with an automatic movement.

RiksRiks likes this.
  12. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Don't worry about the precision, even that movement should easily be within +/-10s per day. If you bring it to a watchmaker, it can be adjusted to better precision for a few bucks. That said, the general tolerance of that specific movement can't be improved over a certain limit...

RiksRiks likes this.
  13. RiksRiks

Thanks! Not super prioritizing precision, I just don't want to get a watch that is less precise than the average.

My options right now are:
    -SNAF77P1
    -SRPA17J2
    -SNP143P1
    -SKP395P1

Im leaning more towards the simpler designs, also what does LY stand for?

14. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Might be trading some gear around for the White Dial Ceramic Daytona! Wish me luck!

JSanta, beerandbeards and xzacx like this.
  15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Good call on white - that's the only choice! (Assuming you're getting steel...I think the black looks pretty awesome on the yellow gold, although I'd probably go champagne personally.)

Do you actually have one located?

16. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I do indeed, I hope it’s still available by the time I get this deal worked out, but knock on wood everything goes as planned and I can get my Grail!

xzacx likes this.
  17. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Awesome man, hope you're able to get it worked out!

18. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

That's gonna be a lot of gear. Hope you have a dealer with short waiting times at hand, I heard of 1 year minimum...

19. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

Good luck on the deal, hopefully buying the gmt will grease the wheels enough to get me on the list and more importantly in a healthy position on it! Luckily I'm not in a rush for it right now.

20. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Yay, managed to snag that white dial!
    In other news, if anyone wants to trade some of my high end gear for watches, hit me up haha!
    [​IMG]

JSanta, nikt, Furtive Glance and 3 others like this.