Anyone into Watches?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Keirosen, Sep 12, 2015.

1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Beautiful! We are watch brothers now. See that Autobahn? Which Panerai would you go for?

2. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Beautiful! We are watch brothers now. See that Autobahn? Which Panerai would you go for?

3. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Absolutely. The autobahn is gorgeous. I really would like to get a Panerai Luminor. I’ve typically liked automatics, but I really wouldn’t mind having the reference manual.

I have a few watch buddies that criticize PAM for using ebauches. But there is just something about that crown guard and the mid century aesthetic that I need. Haha

4. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I ran into a friend this week that was wearing a steel Sky-Dweller. It was my first time seeing one in person and got me really wanting one. I’m tempted to start saving, but they’re pretty much impossible to find at this point, and I wouldn’t pay over retail. It also bums me out to think about how many guitars I could buy for that same price.

5. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I think the movement and complications on the Sky Dweller are so awesome. If I were to spring for a rolex and not go for the Sub/GMT thing it would be either a Daytona or Sky Dweller (as long as I don't pay above retail).

I think the only reason I haven't gotten a Rolex yet is that the ones I want are just so much money that I find it really hard to justify, even when I can afford it, I find it hard to want to.

6. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

They really are awesome, both in the sense that they are practical complications, and how uniquely they were implemented. Beautiful design too. I was intrigued with it ever since it first came out, but seeing it in person really wow'd me. One thing I will say though is that it's bigger than I realized - probably about as big of a watch as I'd be interested in. (And I have giant hands, I just don't like when watches get too big.)

I have a No Date Sub (ceramic bezel) that I'm 100% happy with, and would have a tough time justifying putting that much money into a second steel sports watch. It really is awesome though haha.

One really nice thing about something like a Sub or GMT is that they hold their value so well that it's hard to lose money on one as long as you don't overpay in the first place. And they're so durable with that 904L stainless steel that they use now, they're tough to hurt. I wear mine most days, and bang it on something occasionally, and it doesn't have a scratch.

7. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Yeah this is the reason why I’d probably go for a date ceramic sub if I got one, as long as I get one used and don’t trash the watch it should be about the same as having the money in the bank.

However if I can do the same with a Daytona or Skydweller I think I’d be in a similar position. So it’s just down to finding that deal!

8. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Agreed on the Daytona or Sky-Dweller - I'd expect those will also hold value just about as well, especially in steel.

Interesting story about my Sub - I bought it new from an AD for less than I was able to find a used one for. No Dates seem to be a little harder to find just because there aren't as many of them out there in comparison to the Dates, so I'm sure that's part of it. But I'd been thinking about one for a while, and decided I liked the symmetry of the No Date a little more (despite losing a little practicality). I happened to stop in to a dealer one day just planning on looking around, and they had one of each they'd just gotten in the day before. I really wasn't expecting to buy anything, mostly because I never expected them to actually have one, but they offered me 5% off if I took it then and I couldn't pass it up. Not that 5% is a crazy discount, but considering the only used ones I could find were selling for over retail, I felt like it was a steal. I ended up going back the next day to get a link taken out and the Date Sub had already sold by then too.

9. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

Bit the bullet and put in myself on the waiting list for a Pepsi gmt at my local dealer. I wantwd the daytona really bit there are 150 people on the list and they get one a month if they are lucky. I'm no. 18 on the gmt list :lol:

JSanta likes this.
  10. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Oyster or the new one on the Jubilee? (or does the Oyster only come in white gold?) Did you happen to check how long the Batman GMT list was?

11. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

Jubilee bracelet for the SS model, they do actually have a white gold oyster bracelet model in stock now. I didn't ask about the barman. The dealer is called the red house:

https://www.theredhousegib.com

If they don't reply on the contact section I can pop in and enquire if it's something you are seriously considering.

xzacx likes this.
  12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I think the Jubilee looks so cool on the GMT - about time they did it. It'll be worth the wait!

I appreciate it, but there's a couple dealers around here I could check first. I'm really considering getting in line for a Sky-Dweller though. I'm sure it's going to be quite a wait, so it should give me plenty of time to save up hahah.

13. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

BEFC6CAF-5C83-473E-A6BC-E0AD062266A8.jpeg A Devon tread-1 exo would be sick...if I had to go for 1 big dollar watch, this would be it...

14. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

As standalone pieces the Devon stuff is pretty cool, and the movement is interesting. But god it looks like such a try hard watch on the wrist haha

AxeHappy likes this.
  15. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

...it takes a stiff wrist lol. Money aside I totally dig the terminator look -all the treads are cool but the ‘exoskeleton’ is pretty raw and mechanical looking

16. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

What’s your grail watch?

For me it would either be the Ceramic Daytona or the Dark Side Of The Moon Speedmaster.

17. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Mk II Double Red Sea Dweller.

18. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

I'd have to say the Patek Regulator Annual Calendar in White Gold is hard to beat for me (though I'm on a regulator kick lately).

19. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

For a while it was the pink gold Sky-Dweller, but once the steel came out I realized I like that almost as much for less than a 1/3 of the price.

That said, I'd probably have to go with a yellow gold Day-Date 40. I know that's not a very original choice, but it's just so good at what it is.

A white-dial Royal Oak used to be pretty high on my list too, but the onslaught of gaudy Offshores that AP has been putting out has kinda tarnished the model for me.

20. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

New guy here, not a watch collector but I'm looking to buy a first one for myself.

I really liked the Kent Wang Bauhaus v4, but I've seen also Daniel Wellington being popular here, anyone got any feedback?

I have zero idea on how watches are supposed to be evaluated and I don't understand the characteristics (I've only read a lot of random words like quartz, automatic, winding, and so on) so an explanation wouldn't be out of place either :)