Anyone into animation or cartooning?

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by GodOfChugs, Jul 6, 2016.

1. GodOfChugs

GodOfChugs SSO's Chugmeister

May be a shot in the dark here but I've always wanted to write the music in an animation movie/series. I can do the obvious metal/rock/guitar stuff but I also do electronic, trap, edm.

So if anybody was looking for free music to use for their animations, let's talk and maybe start something? :DD

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I am, but my animations are awful. If you are near a college campus, try posting on their bulletein board, or making friends with someone in the graphic design dept.

3. GodOfChugs

GodOfChugs SSO's Chugmeister

Not a bad idea! I love all kinds of work, show me whatcha got :D

4. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Patri_MA_Ruiz SS.org Regular

I LOVE animaton. I would really like to have my music videos animated and I'm deeply in love with cartoons. I study fine arts and I guess I have little knowledge about this. I'm not really good, though, they didn't teach us much, just some basics in the 3D animation. It's a load of work and you have to be really into that, or have a lot of money to pay someone else to do it.
    I still am looking for a partner who is willing to help me with that music video stuff, but it's hard to find someone who wants to do that for free.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Making animations by hand is extremely time consuming. I honestly don't think you would find anyone willing to do it for free, unless if you were already very well known. You could spend an entire day drawing animations frames and get maybe 10 seconds of framework done, so a 3-minute music video, fully animated, would take months to complete without using expensive software. Even with the expensive software, it really doesn't go that much faster.

But maybe an approach to soften the blow would be to draw your own stills as a storyboard with detailed characters, and then have someone animate the in-betweens. Then, use the animation sparingly between live shots and staged filmed shots, or maybe some panned graphics. Otherwise, the only way it'd work is if someone you knew fairly well was already working on an animation and needed music to go with it.

As my primary hobby is music and animation, for me, is one of my lesser hobbies, I can appreciate that a 3-minute song could take me two weeks to record and tweak just right, but would easily take three times as long to animate an accompanying storyboard just to the level where it didn't merely embarrass me.

6. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

[QUOTE="bostjan, post: 4799199, member: 935" You could spend an entire day drawing animations frames and get maybe 10 seconds of framework done, [/QUOTE]

10 seconds of very limited Animation that is and with lots of reuses ;)

A 3 min Animation on a 2D Disney/Dreamworks style would take you months and months of hard work and this is if you are already an extremely efficient Animator. Animation alone not counting the Cleaning and Coloring of it.

If your aiming to do it in 3D then its gets even more complex, because you have to build everything, Model, Rig, Animate, Render and Compose.

odibrom likes this.