anyone here play Magic?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by eggy in a bready, Mar 25, 2018.

1. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

sup.

lots to look forward to next month. Dominaria looks killer so far and the new format seems fun. oh, and FNM promos are coming back. fawk yeahhhh

Xaios likes this.
  2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I've been playing since just before Worldwake released in early 2010, although I stopped playing Standard around Battle for Zendikar and basically took a hiatus from all Magic about 6 months ago, partly because I was super busy with school and also partly because I found the Ixalan limited format to be really boring. I still have a whole bunch of EDH decks (15 I believe), but no real time to play. I've also sold most of my other stuff over the past couple years because, well, being a student means that I'm constantly on the verge of financial ruin.

Although yes, I will agree that Dominaria looks pretty awesome. Arena looks pretty good too, although the lack of trading is a bummer.

3. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

probably for the best. it cost a ridiculous amount of money for those stupid four-color goodstuff decks that were dominating the meta around that time.

arena looks cool, but until it gets support for modern or eternal formats, i'm good with mtgo

4. Xaios

True, although ridiculously expensive standard decks are nothing new. Unfortunately though, Standard became such a slog because of the ridiculous mana bases that were available due to fetches and basic-typed duals being available in the same format.

I never really got into MTGO, so Arena is perfect for me. I've already bought all the old school cards I want IRL, I have no desire to have to reacquire them online. Arena using Ixalan as a starting point is more up my alley.

5. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

I started playing as a kid back in 04 but got serious during the new mirridon block (back when caw blade and tezzy control were a thing). I stopped around gatewatch as Standard was becoming more and more ridiculous to keep up with cost wise. Now I keep up with the stories (LOVE that mtg is releasing all this content around blocks) and play Cube with my friend. Outside of that, I buy boosters still every great now and then just for the feels and I've been patiently waiting for MTG Arena to release. I love the game though, just hate the cost of playing it seriously.

6. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I've got to admit as an old fart that played Alpha / Beta and remembers chasing Beta and Arabian Nights boosters and checking in with the local store daily to see if they came in it is pretty amazing that this is still going strong. Got out of it and sold almost all my cards at a con. I got back into it for a while and think I still have a drawer of cards here somewhere but I haven't played in years.

Spinedriver and The906 like this.
  7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I was hardcore into Magic until around the Urza trilogy, then it’s like every two years someone will get me to play, I’ll use someone else’s deck, someone still manage to win games despite a bunch of new rules and such, etc.

That said, if I could find my old deck, I could probably pay off quite a few bills/fulfill some GAS. I remember being big into the Legends set and having most of it, including a Mirror Universe.

8. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Same here.. I started around 4th/Ice Age but I mainly just played with friends and not so much 'tournament/game night' affairs. I played for a few years but like others have said, if you want the GOOD cards, you'd better have plenty of cash to drop on it. After a while I got into MTGO and played that for a year or so but whenever I went into the "casual" room, I'd get stomped by 'tournament' level decks.
    As sad as it sounds, I really like playing the MTG:puzzle Quest game on a tablet. You pick 10 cards and off you go. You don't have to spend a ton of cash if you don't want to & once you get a decent card, you don't have to hunt down multiple copies of it. Granted, it's not exactly like normal MTG but it's a fun little thing to kill 15-20 minutes here & there.

9. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Wow, this is still going strong huh? I haven't played in almost 20 years...and now I feel old.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I tried to get into it and built two modern decks last year. And just got burnt out on the idea of the format being so prohibitively expensive. I would like to try legacy but that’s even worse. I’ll likely swap my current cards into the MTGO format via a shop and leave physical. Because it’s still expensive but significantly less so.

The game itself though is amaaaaazing imo. Love the lore/worldbuilding and the depth of mechanic interactions. There’s something for everyone that likes card games.

The no-reprint/no-fun list makes it too bad that dual lands cost more than my first monthly rent in college.

11. Xaios

I've been playing this for almost two years now. I don't grind all the events heavily or anything, but I've gotten a pretty decent collection over time (including all the necessary cards to make full power Nissa/Kiora/Nicol Bolas cycling decks). It's fun.

Spinedriver likes this.
  12. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I played against a 'broken combo' the other day & luckily I happen to have the 2 cards needed. All you need is a green/white Planeswalker, Oath Of Gideon (summon 4 - 1/1 Ally tokens + landall: summon 4 - 1/1 tokens) and Path Of Discovery (whenever a creature enters the field under your control it explores 1)
    What ends up happening is for every Ally generated by the Oath, the Path adds 2 white gems. If you're lucky after the 2nd or 3rd, it starts generating chain reactions and it just keeps going & going. In one turn I had an Ally go from a 4/4 to a 168/168 before it ran out of steam.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Getting into MTGO as I always wanted to play but never had time to go out.

Just playing solitaire to get used to the UI for now.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Another old fart here, I got into it in 3rd Edition, and played through, say, 1999-2000 or so, but haven't really played since. I had a group of four other close high school friends, we all played, and we all gravitated towards a different color (for me, black, though in a normal game I generally played black/green), so on a couple occasions we got 5-way single color games going, and a high school friend of mine is trying to get us to get a 5-color game together once more (which will be tricky because he and one other aren't currently speaking). I got as far as pulling out my old box of cards the last time I was at my parents place and bringing them back to my place, but my old black/green deck seems to have been broken down at some point along the way so I'd have to start for scratch.

We eventually started playing tournament rules, largely because I overused the fuck out of Dark Ritual and the other guys wanted to keep me down at four max. :lol: I wouldn't even know how to play a game these days, though, the rules seem to have changed so much and I don't get the whole Commander thing.