Anyone Here Ever Give Up Playing Entirely? Or Thinking Of Quitting?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HUGH JAYNUS, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I've never consciously "quit," in the same way one quits smoking, or something like that. But I've gone yeeeears without playing. Then something would stimulate me, and I'd start playing again. But life happens, stuff gets in the way, passions subside, etc. I got burned out from gigging years ago, and wanted no part of "band life" for a long time (like, years). But I'd be down to do it again now. So don't even sweat it. Don't play, and just do whatever you like. And if it strikes you to come back to it, do it. If not, do what makes you happy. I used to draw and paint a LOT, but I haven't done either in probably 10 years. I'd like to again one day, but obviously not enough to get off my fat ass and do it. :lol: But I don't think of it as "quitting" as much as that I'm not doing it right now. Life is long, and I am not ruling out the possibility of starting any hobby again. (Except going "dancing" with friends and girls. I don't know why the fuck I tried to fit in with that group for so long. I hate dancing, and I don't get why people think it's remotely fun. But that's another story for another time.)

Chiba666, TedEH, silverabyss and 2 others like this.
  2. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS Formerly DJIMBO

You are wise good sir

Chiba666 likes this.
  3. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I mostly just find it hard to actually practice as much as I should, but I am and have been in a no-sell mode for a loooonnnnngggggg time (as in, my collection continues to grow and I see no end in sight, but I do not want to/will not move any of them).
    I am currently up to 10 different guitars/acoustics/basses, and at least 4 more project guitars. I don't always feel the need to play as much as I think I should but there is no way I would get rid of my gear. I haven't been in band mode/playing live for
    10 years or so but I am happy enough with what I have for now.

That's just me though, if you don't have the space or really need the money for other things I can see getting rid of your gear. Hopefully you find something else to spark your interest, and you can always come back to guitar later if you want....

Hollowway likes this.
  4. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I've never quit guitar, I did quit drawing for a 5 year period or so - despite having at one point wanted to go to school for art (there were no schools I could find that taught the classical style so that idea went down fast since I had no interest in modern art).

With bands I was a one-and-done. Out of high school me and a guy I knew at the time started a band. I wrote all of the music and eventually was forced to kick him out because he couldn't play the material, by that point there was a full band. We played a few decent sized shows and I'd produced an album's worth of material by the point we broke up about 6 months later. Prior to the band breaking up I came to realize that I absolutely despised every aspect of being in a band and that my source of enjoyment was not in the interaction with other musicians (quite the opposite) or having a crowd listen to my music (couldn't care less) but the act of creating music itself. The band and everything surrounding it was an impediment to that. I've never never been in a band since, but did go through a "transition period" musically following the dissolution of the band in which my approach to writing music radically and irreversibly changed. I've since done some session bass work and produced some interludes for friends but primarily I've been writing and recording music solely for my own consumption for nearly 9 years and if I do share things I've written with others it tends to be years after the recording was completed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    HUGH JAYNUS likes this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I was once pretty heavily immersed in the music scene and in music in general. When I finished my studies at the University, I went to work at a big company that filed for bankruptcy and closed the second day I worked there, so I fell back on music, got a job at a music store, got another job teaching lessons (I already had one job teaching lessons, so I ended up with two), and I doubled down on my dedication to my original music projects, and ended up joining another cover band (I was already in a cover band, too), ...I even taught a middle school band for a half a year. I never thought of any of it as a permanent career move, but it was just the way the river current of life had took me, and I was going with it.

The thing is, the deeper into anything you go, the more weirdos and assholes turn up. The music store was getting less and less busy every month, my first teaching job dried up when the students there started not caring (I would have thought it was me, but my other teaching job kept getting busier for a year or so), band mates started subjecting me to their drama, etc.

One day I simply committed to moving away and I never went back. At that time, I left a bunch of guitars behind, either selling them, giving them away, or lending them to someone else. I got a "real" job, that was super challenging technically, but paid pennies on the dollar of what I used to make, and had to supplement that with a part time job that paid a decent wage. Suddenly, though, I was just too busy to do anything with music. My original band that had made some good progress in the local scene and even turned down a record deal was in a slump, so it was easy to disconnect. My other original band had only played a couple gigs, and hadn't done any shows in months, so it was pretty guiltless. One of my teaching jobs was down to something like three students, and the other I only did Sundays and had maybe eight students there, because it was the slowest time of year, so I was poised to eject with minimal damage.

But I didn't stop playing completely, I just made myself unavailable to spend any time on guitar, and so I dropped off the music scene for a few years.

When I came back to it, I was, unknowingly, just a few months away from having to move again.

But, yet, here I am, still doing music stuff. It's like it's a part of me, not that I'm any good at it, but I just can't leave it alone. Like I don't need it, but if you leave me with a little bit of free time, it's naturally what I do.

I used to think of it as "a little time away will help in the long run," but that's all horsefeathers, too. Any extended amount of time away from it just lets you slip out of touch and makes you that much older by the time you get back into it.

HUGH JAYNUS likes this.
  6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

When my band fell apart i ended up in a funk brought on by band ending, Lack of funds, having a kid ect. I would have a few productive weeks of jamming a year for like 5 years but no momentum. Got some time and cash now. Rebuilt a solid rig, trying to spend quality time with my metronome get back in the saddle and write/record something on my own.

I went from spending every waking moment thinking of guitar to years in the void.

When i got back on to gear forums last year I didnt even know what an impulse response was cause I was so far out of the loop. And guitar/the metal and punk scene used to totally consume my life

HUGH JAYNUS likes this.
  7. smokiekouki

smokiekouki SS.org Regular

I quit playing for a while. A good friend of mine moved in town, and he really persuaded me to play more. He came over to my apartment probably 4 times a week. We really built off of each other, and it kept motivation up having someone there expecting to play with me multiple times a week. That's what brought the passion back for me. He actually just moved again, but now that he's gone, I find myself still playing at least a hour when I get home from work. If you can find someone who you really click with that has a similar style, don't hesitate to jam with them as much as possible. I learned more in 3 months than I did playing by myself in 3 years. And there's just something about writing riffs that you can't wait to share/teach someone so they can expand off the idea and be able to interpret it differently than you do.

Also, experimenting with different guitars, pickup combinations, effects, pedals, and sounds really helped me branch out to find that different sound that captivated me enough to continue my musical endeavor.

Buy a new fancy guitar, that should inspire you lol

HUGH JAYNUS and NickS like this.
  8. HUGH JAYNUS

I did try learning different stuff and even tried some different axes. Everything from a Tele to an 8 string. Nothing really took my fancy. I'm still a simple metalhead. Only thing different is i seem to like more classic rock and 90' alternative. Im gonna try just doing whatever and see if the mood strikes me to play someday. I'm sure I'll find something nearby. I also will always have that awesome Sweetwater card with a nice big limit on it lol.

And who knows. I may be moving soon thanks to the Wife's work development recently. Looking at possibly moving to Seattle. Maybe a change will spark that passion again. Maybe not. Im glad to know I'm not the only one who's been through such a huge change though. I thought I'd be jamming into my retirement

smokiekouki likes this.
  9. metallidude3

metallidude3 SS.org Regular

Wow. There are a ton of stories here. Mostly very long winded too, so I'll try to keep mine a bit shorter.

I just lost my band last year, as well and it was a project that I put together out of necessity and depression. After that ended, I didn't want to play anymore either. It was something that I poured my soul into and to see it shattered was heart wrenching.

I've also worked in 4 guitar shops, over 10 years (enough to be completely burnt on the subject). I can't tell you how many people would come in and start fiddling around and say, "I wish I never stopped." And then proceed to tell me about all of the amazing gear that they've had, over the years.

Don't give up, man. And if you can help it, don't sell your gear either. Even a fresh setup may completely revitalize you. But keep everything that you were happy to own, at one point. You never know what you'll miss, in the future.

Cheers!
    Nate

NickS and HUGH JAYNUS like this.
  10. HUGH JAYNUS

My band splitting up was also heartbreaking. Which did have a huge impact on the whole losing interest. But i had already took a year off and just hated picking it up. And I realized the last few months of the band i was just going through the motions. I think im just ready to move on.

But I already sold EVERYTHING. Thats ok though if i ever get back into it i know what gear i want instead.

11. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I haven't thought about quitting but I have gone long periods of not playing. This was simply because I was doing other things and I didn't have much motivation to focus on my hobby. Those breaks were good, however. The time spent away made me look at things with a fresh perspective when I came back. I also branched out into other instruments, took singing lessons, etc. Trying new things to keep my interest. In trying those new things, I found I came back to my main instruments with a much greater passion.

However, this is from someone whose involvement in music is for personal enjoyment, not business. I'm starting to move into the music business myself, on the legal side of things, and the more I become involved the more I want my music to stay a hobby. If I became professionally involved in music as a musician I'm pretty sure my enjoyment would take a serious hit and it would taint my casual enjoyment. I don't want to say I'd quit but I'd certainly want to not play anywhere near as much.

With that being said, I too think it's time to move on. You don't have anything keeping you attached, so you're free to move on to whatever you feel like doing. And if you do come back, it'll be entirely on your own terms, knowing exactly what you want. Don't think of it as an end. Think of it as an exciting new beginning with nothing to hold you back.

HUGH JAYNUS likes this.
  12. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

I quit guitar and started playing bass, I think it's something I'd always wanted to do but never really admitted it to myself. I've always been a decent rhythm guitarist but I was a never a great lead player, I just feel so much more musically satisfied playing bass, using fingerstyle and enjoying those low notes.

Chiba666, fps and HUGH JAYNUS like this.
  13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I took a serious amount of time off from playing over the last 5-6 months (like didn't even thing about music). I have been very busy with work/summer activities...so it wasn't like I didn't want to play, I just couldn't.

I just started jamming with my drummer again so that's nice...except I find out my bassist is in jail for being an idiot so that sucks, but it made me want play more because he was kind of holding us back :lol:

HUGH JAYNUS likes this.
  14. fps

fps Kit

I mean, one thing that has just reignited my playing is learning some covers on an acoustic. Also, I haven't had an electric guitar in standard tuning for at least 5 years, and I've just bought a Fender American Standard strat. The tones are totally different, standard tuning is completely out of my comfort zone, and I can now immerse myself in lots of styles I never could before. I could even learn to read music, in theory.

In other words, maybe look for some new possibilities. I've been playing rock and metal a long time, and it's time to do something else, for me, for a while.

HUGH JAYNUS likes this.
  15. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I see what you did there.

fps and HUGH JAYNUS like this.
  16. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Honestly I think I could sell all guitars and amps and not miss it. After I stopped playing in bands and started working 40+ hr a week I just don't play much, maybe a little before work and on the weekend. Just don't have the passion I use to and don't care to learn or practice. But seeing how I would lose too much selling I rather just keep it around for those days I do want to jam.

Though I think the rg8 will be sold soon enough, just decorates the wall at this point.

17. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

Yep, I haven't touched a guitar in about 5 months now. Kind of just lost interest and I am not finding anything new I wanna learn or play. I moved over to hip-hop production/beat making and that takes up most of my creative time.

Coincidentally, I feel like this down time is coming to an end and I might get an urge to start playing again. I do hope so, at least.

18. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

Never fully quit, but am having bursts of no interest in music and playing for days and weeks. Totally fine with that - I take this just as a refresher. New ideas come, other interesting stuff gets done, work progresses. All good and natural.

19. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

To me, this is telling. You'd like to do it but the inspiration/mojo/feel/passion isn't there. That's just fine, do other stuff - life's too short to worry about it. Do other stuff that inspires you.

My bet is that it (the passion for music related stuff) will come back, you just can't really predict when and how long the off cycle will be. We've all been there. But the music will always be there, lurking, in the back of our heads. And then we will all be playing the fiddle, furiously, beside the window again.

20. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

In my twenty years of playing, I've definitely found this to be true. I've gone through various times where I've not really been inspired to play and I chose to do other hobbies. I'm back into it now and with a vengeance. I've become really inspired over the past year and I'm truly loving to play just like when I was 14 again. I also think its good for your brain to be able to take mini-breaks from something that your passionate about, as it helps renew the juices.

cwhitey2 likes this.