Anyone else having a tough week?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JustinRhoads1980, Jul 10, 2018.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

So I had ordered some stuff to put into my guitar and was really pumped up about it since I was looking forward to the upgrades I was planning on doing to it.

I had ordered:

Seymour Duncan Blackouts

F-U Tone 32mm L brass block

F-U Tone Red Heavy Duty/Noiseless Trem Springs

I got the brass block and when I put it on my floyd rose it was ezpz, but when I put it into my guitar I noticed that the little L part of the block was rubbing right against the wood in the cavity, would not let me pull on the trem and is lopsided.

I thought oh well I will just order the one without the L and when I get it ship the L one back for a refund.

Now the with the Black Winters I had soldered everything in and was excited since this was the most important upgrade that I was doing on this guitar since I did not like the previous pickups.

The Neck pickup worked and the bridge was not responsive. After 3 hours yesterday and 2 hours fiddling around with it today I have concluded that the bridge pickup was dead....

great....

So know my jackson is all gutted right now and mangled up and now I have to wait for my stuff to come back so I can finish up my project.

It has just been a long week and it is only TUESDAY!

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yes. Sometimes I want to get rid of all worldly possessions and stop talking with humans. WAY fricking less stress. I got a new bass and I’ve been fucking around with the damn bridge saddles for the past 24 hours. AAAARRRGGGGGHHHH

If you really want to take the edge off, go outside after dark, and look up at the sky. Look out into our galaxy, and realize it’s only one of billions of galaxies, billions of years old. We are but a speck of dust, appearing and disappearing in an instant. None of this stuff matters, and none of it is worth getting stressed about. And if that doesn’t take the edge off, go back inside and masturbate.

3. JustinRhoads1980

This, this is just, wow. I guess that is a different way to look at my situation then.

Hollowway likes this.
  4. IGC

IGC OCDG

Do you know what happened to the bridge pickup ? Like one of the fine coil wires pulled from eyelett maybe? Or maybe not connected to the toggle switch correctly?

5. JustinRhoads1980

Nope I made sure it was connected to the toggle switch multiple times. Hell I even wired it to where the neck pickup was and the same thing happened. I just really think the thing was faulty

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

You got any techs that are trustworthy near you? I don’t. I mean, for simple stuff, yes, but I get into situations like you, and it’s frustrating because there nothing other than the internet to help out. And clearly, being on the internet I’m not helpful, lol.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  7. possumkiller

possumkiller Custom Title:

Masturbating does help a lot.

Vyn, cwhitey2, Spaced Out Ace and 4 others like this.
  8. JustinRhoads1980

I have a tech yea. I plan on when I get the exchanged set of pickups and I encounter the same problem that is when I will take it to a tech. Though everything else was working BUT the bridge pickup. No volume. It had to have been faulty

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

That wouldn't "take the edge off" for me. In fact, it'd just make me feel like shit.

Sorry the OP is having tons of problems with the upgrades he is trying to do. Hope you can get the faulty parts replaced and/or refunded. Good luck.

10. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

L shaped blocks are nice but you don't know if they'll fit the guitar well until you put them one. I put one on my Jackson KE2 and like you could not pull up. I had it set up with a thicker string gauge in D standard and a new problem arose. After a while of playing I would get a vibrating sound coming from the guitar which I initially thought were some of the strings at the saddles. Turns out the springs were more sensitive to some frequencies and with the thicker string gauges they would move more. Enough to have the L part of the block hit on the guitar body making the vibrating noise (the L part was almost touching the cavity). Changed it back to a regular brass block and problem solved.

Sucks about the faulty Black Winter but it'll get sorted no worries. These are fixable problems that sometimes you don't have any immediate control over so try not to let them bother you too much. I know easier said than done but you have one resolved and the other is on it's way to be corrected so a positive outcome in total with just a bit of hassle.

11. possumkiller

possumkiller Custom Title:

I installed a fat brass block onto an RG1527 Edge Pro unit and did not detect any difference from the stock block. The supposedly silent springs were not silent either. I find rubber tubing or foam pad works best for silencing springs.

12. odibrom

odibrom .

Before going to a tech, get a multimeter and check for the continuity of the signal in both pickup coils. Since they are Seymour Duncan, check Black + White, and then Red + Green.

Set the Multimeter in the ohms section, link one of its point leads with one of the coils' and the other as well. Do not touch the multimeter's leads nor the coils, since they'll shortcut. You want to know if there is continuity between the coil's leads. If there is, the pickup is not faulty.

However, I once had a Seymour Duncan P-Rail bridge pickup with swapped wire colors and it was a pain to wire. I had to disassemble it and redo the wiring at the source for the expected Seymour Duncan color code. Later I found out that these come with a different color code. How stupid is that?

IGC likes this.
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Do you have any alligator leads? You could desolder the BPU, clip it directly to the output jack or cable, then see if it works. If you get a good signal from the BPU directly, then you know it's nothing to do with the pup. If you get no signal that way, then something is probably shorted or open, as @odibrom mentioned. If the pickup is okay, though, double check all of your connections. Sometimes switches can be weird, sometimes solder joints that look okay end up being no good, and sometimes there is just a random wire that you swore was connected, but just wasn't.

I've dealt with a dead pickup before, maybe 3 times, it's not as rare as you'd want it to be, so that's a possibility, but even 10% of the time means that the problem is still something else 9 times out of ten. The big winner for anything electrical is always "wire not properly connected." Even the highest paid electricians can boff a connection once in a while.

IGC likes this.
  14. bostjan

For example, the wire connecting the USB socket my mouse is plugged into, evidently, causing many double posts.

15. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Yes !!

16. odibrom

odibrom .

@bostjan, you said it right, most common issue is "wire not properly connected". Some times a switch becomes dead at some positions. When I get the patience to check it I usually find a broken or loose wire, even though it had been working perfectly before. I'm yet to find a dead pickup...

17. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

This. Your pickups should have a resistance of a few kilo-ohms. Zero ohms (or very near to it) means you have a short circuit somewhere, infinite resistance (or if you multimeter says something like a few megaohms) means you have an open circuit. My money's on the latter, if there is a problem with the pickup. Bostjan's advice is also good. When I was at school, I learned how finicky switches can be.

18. JustinRhoads1980

Yea it is just one thing after another man. First the block and now the pickups. Watch something else happen *knock on wood*

Yea man. It has always been one thing after another with my Jackson! When I first got it it needed a setup, which is to be expected, but since then the trem arm the guy gave me didn't work so I had to get a new one ( I tried calling the seller and he ignored me! A fucking prick I tell ya), guitar pickups have not sounded that good since day one, weird buzzing either at the saddle or trem string at the G string, springs make some noise, haven't gotten to make my trem stiffer (hopefully the new springs I got work as advertised, if not they are getting returned) and of course I ordered the wrong block and got a faulty pickup. Never ending dude, never ending with this one.

Hmmmm... Well then that is something I should look out for then although it will be hard detecting difference in sound in the block since I am also replacing pickups. For the springs though if they aren't heavy duty to make my trem stiffer (I have even put on a heavier string gauge to try to get it to be stiffer with no results) and they aren't silent I am just gonna return them and not buy stuff from F-U Tone since I have seen some people swear by it and others say it is full of BS.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also @bostjan @odibrom and @Xaios I would have loved to follow your advice, but I do not have a multimeter around. I am gonna look around further, but I cannot find one and my dad doesn't even know what the hell it is.

Either way I have bought the pickups from a small business, I discussed with them the situation and they already sent out the replacement bridge without receiving the faulty one I have now which is something I appreciate from them! No questions asked about it and they took care of me!

Shoutout to Crazy Dave's Music!

odibrom and Xaios like this.
  19. bostjan

You don't need a multimeter to do what I suggested, though, just a couple of wires. :)

odibrom likes this.
  20. odibrom

odibrom .

I have one of these. they work well enough... and they're quite cheap I guess...

[​IMG]