Any good on Legator guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by hanachanmaru, Jan 31, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

oh he was having a blast in the ERGN and ormsby groups too when it got posted there. Man my agile from 2009 wasn't anywhere near as bad as the garbage legator has been putting out recently. They officially take the cake as the only brand somehow worse than etherial or halo lol

2. The Hiryuu

The Hiryuu Dot dot dot.

Oof. Worse than Etherial and Halo? That's bordering on DeVries territory.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Now I'm sad. I always feel about bad anytime I see someone has paid money for an Etherial. :(

4. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

Guys, hate to bump this, but it's very hard... I want to try an 8, and I know I would hate anything not multiscale, so my options are:
    https://legator.guitars/product/nrf...ish=neon-green&attribute_pa_orientation=right
    https://legator.guitars/product/nrf8-200/

$In that 500 range, what else is there for multiscale?

The closest rondo is actually 699!
    http://www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html

Jackson 8 fanned fret isn't going to be available for another month
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--JAC2916183?siid=228434&-uAdXEAQYAyABEgKUNfD_BwE=

I can't imagine every legator is as bad as the terrible pic on the previous page. It's very tempting to get that nrf8-200.

5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Keep in mind that the 200 series you are looking at is B stock/Clearance with no returns.

Even with all of the negative press towards Legator, for that price you really don't have many options at all. As long as you can get one with a return policy, I'd say give it a shot.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

you'd be better off finding a used agile multiscale or biting the bullet on a new one. I'd try and find one with a spread between scales around 2" or less, after that it gets a lot harder to use extended chords on the lower frets.
    The specs on that jackson seem great, I'd say wait for that or an agile.

7. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

Yeah, that Jackson looks pretty sweet, but +200.

8. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

Thats what I'm thinking, $500 does seem dirt cheap for the features, and I'd be going in with expectations that it's bound to fall apart, so if it doesn't, would be kind of a win, haha. So perhaps the 100 is worth a try.

I don't really have a budget, I'm literally just looking for the cheapest playable 8 string, because I have no idea if I'll actually like the range, it might sit there, but it should actually be playable.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

if you could return the legator I'd say try that, but as it stands, agile is your best bet for the cheapest non-firewood multiscale. If we're talking just cheap 8 strings, then an rg8 or agile with a straight scale would be more than sufficient. those are like 300 bucks or less depending on where you look.

10. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Spend the extra and buy the better guitar. Stop giving shitty companies a chance to "get better" or the benefit of the doubt. They don't deserve it, and you as the consumer end up paying the price for the companies lack of care.

11. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

Alright, thanks for keeping the universe just :) I bit the bullet, and got a 27'' Agile. I hope it's a decent compromise, even though I dislike my non-multiscale 7 compared to strandies. Hope to see more legator reviews though, and really hope quality improves. Their website is miles better than rondomusic.com and prices seem ultra competitive.

Hollowway and smokiekouki like this.