Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Okay, so Darling in the FRANNX has a fucking terrible story but is pretty and the latest episode appealed to my bleeding weeb heart. Yes, there has been wine involved. No, I don't feel any shame. Yes, I will feel ashamed in the morning.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Starting up Tokyo Ghoul. I've heard it's pretty good

Vyn likes this.
  3. Vyn

Tokyo Ghoul is awesome. If you like manga, read the manga as well, it's even better and more twisted.

4. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I just finished watching B: The Beginning today, it's a new original mystery/supernatural/action anime and it's really good. All episodes are on Netflix if you want to watch it.

Marty Friedman and the vocalist of Man With A Mission did the ending theme and it's on the vocal album that's based on the anime in which Marty's featured on every song, though the rest of the songs weren't used in the anime sadly.

Alberto7 likes this.
  5. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Watched the first couple episodes a few days ago and thought it was pretty dope, though it didn't exactly strike me as the kind of anime that will live up to its full potential (which it has a lot of), but I hope to be wrong.

And yes, one of the main reasons it caught my eye (or my ears, rather) was the awesome music. The ED music is super freaking awesome, and now that I see Marty Friedman was involved I understand why some of those guitar riffs and vocal lines are so sexy! I'm gonna keep watching whenever I have a bit of time!

6. Alberto7

Aaaannndd I was NOT wrong.

Just finished the anime. It is very entertaining, but it was quite lackluster. It felt contrived and a bit silly at times. Not to mention they could have expanded the lore on this SO much, but they just didn't. Even the setting felt sort of small, like the only thing that existed in the world were the characters, and thus there didn't seem to be any sort of urgency about the conflicts, other than hoping the character you liked didn't get beat.

With that said, it was still enjoyable. Fights are cool, character designs are pretty dope (although giving swords for hands to literal gods as their only weapons felt a bit silly), the detective work was cool at times, and a couple of the characters were genuinely interesting, and I wish their development had been just a tad more effective. That, and it never made me feel bored at all, and I kept me hooked all along. A second season is very much hinted at at the very end, so I'll be looking forward to watching it.

A show that felt quite similar to this one but that I find was done A LOT better was Ajin, which is also on Netflix.

TL;DR: 6.5/10. Plot and character development were rushed but it was still enjoyable. Go watch Ajin.

7. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

just finished watching tales from earthsea. its rated very low compared to other ghibili films, but i enjoyed it.

gonna check out porko rosso next...

8. KnightBrolaire

porco rosso is awesome. Not as good as say Howl's moving castle or Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa, but still really good imo.

takotakumi likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

Checking out GTO (great teacher Onizuka). It's pretty damn funny/pervy

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

GTO is amazing, one of my favorite anime series of all time. I kinda wished the anime continued on like the manga did as the story escalates further into utter bedlam.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  11. Bloody_Inferno

Ok I've been a bit distant with anime lately, but April 7 is the premier of Persona 5 The Animation so my sights are in that. :lol:

12. Alberto7

Just finished watching the Dragon Ball Super finale... man, I am honestly kind of surprised at how good the ending was considering two episodes ago it seemed to have no ending in sight and impossible to close in just a couple episodes. It was a bit predictable, granted, but oh so satisfying. It even managed to tug some seriously nostalgic strings. It gave Zen-Oh's character purpose and even had a subtle twist that I really liked regarding Frieza. I can't wait for the movie in December now, and really wanna see the show come back! There's so much more in the DB universe that could be explored.

Now I'm gonna go play the living f*ck out of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.

NotDonVito likes this.
  13. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

Oh yeah DB was awesome, I'm really sad it's over for now. But I have to ask, did you see the new FLCL? It was on TV here last weekend as an april fools, but someone's got to have it online.

Alberto7 likes this.
  14. Alberto7

^ I haven't! I didn't even know it had already aired! I'd be curious to watch it, but I'm also approaching it like I'd approach a dinosaur turd: with some disgust but with more disbelief, because holy shit, real dinosaur poop!

NotDonVito likes this.
  15. Bloody_Inferno

So I saw the first episode of Persona 5: The Animation. Like Persona 4, it doesn't miss a beat in recreating the game's stylistic aesthetic, and trims down to it's bare essentials. That's a godsend for anyone pressed for time thinking the game is too long (it is, but still worth it). Fans of the game will obviously watch this, but for everybody else, I still recommend playing the game because it's awesome as hell.

On a sad note:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...io-ghibli-co-founder-isao-takahata-dies-at-82

:( That hurt as much as watching Grave Of The Fireflies itself. It's like Satoru Iwata's passing all over again.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  16. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

That's an interesting analogy :lol:

The only way I can describe it, the scenes with Haruko feel like FLCL, and the rest kind of feels like a Kyoani show. This episode was actually from season 3 though, and the previews for season 2 look a lot different.

17. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

i really liked that first episode of new flcl(its on kissanime btw i dunno if its anywhere legally) but i really need to go back and watch season 1 again cause buds i was watching it with were picking up on every little thing and i had basically forgotten what was up. season two starts on adult swim in june and i saw someone say season 3 will be in september but i havent seen any announcements about that.

and yea the dbs ending was great. im a few chapters behind with the manga but im sure toyotaros gonna do it real good like hes done the rest of the manga real good

18. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

grave of the fireflies was great. ...but very sad. it was the first ghibli film i saw. it was on a list of the top 100 war movies of all time on the history channel i believe. it wss in the top 20.

ah_graylensman likes this.
  19. Bloody_Inferno

In addition to Persona 5, I've also started watching Poputepipikku/Pop Team Epic. After seeing one episode all I can say is....

...Do not look up the synopsis and go see it yourself. This series is best served cold and without any prior knowledge or any expectations. Then make up your own mind, because I sure as hell won't be spoiling anything.

Also during viewing, if you think that the show itself is actively punishing you for all the things you love about anime and pop culture, then you may be right. And I do appreciate the series for that.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  20. Vyn

Is anyone watching Steins Gate 0 at the moment? Holy crap. Show of the season IMO

takotakumi likes this.