Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Damn it man, why you gotta make me wanna watch Robin Warriors when I was about to start Devilman? That ain't right.

Alberto7 and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Damn it man, why you gotta make me wanna watch Robin Warriors when I was about to start Devilman? That ain't right.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Crybaby is so far the most complete animated version that's true to the source material. I chose those words carefully, as the OVA was also true with the tragic theme but was also incomplete (it ends inconclusively on the Silene arc) and cuts down on the sex, but keeps the violence intact. The old anime TV series was heavily watered down and rewritten for the sole purpose of being a TV show for kids, and done so much that's more of a separate story in itself. Hell Ryo Asuka is completely not present in the TV series, and his role was replaced with a new character.

I more or less said that Crybaby takes the old manga and amps it up to ridiculous levels to cater for the Red Bull generation. Considering that the manga was shocking for the 70s, it makes sense to try and go for that shock gusto vibe for today.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    takotakumi likes this.
  4. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Wow that is very interesting. Thanks for the info!
    Crazy how it went from the kid tv show (which is on the tv on the series too haha) to this madness

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Changed my mind, gonna watch Juni Taisen: Zodiac War first and then Ronin Warriors. Saint Seiya can wait.

6. takotakumi

Fuck the ending of Devilman :( :( :( :(
    Ep 9 will forever haunt me

Alberto7 and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Now imagine that coming out in the 70s.
    Aside from a few changes, like the fate of Taro and his parents (which hurts more here), it's a note for note recreation of the manga, Miki's head on a pike and all.

Now while I hype myself up for Fate: Heaven's Feel, back on the Kalafina marathon (10 year anniversary) and about to start Fate/Apocrypha.

Alberto7 and takotakumi like this.
  8. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

Tried watching the first two episodes of Yuru Camp, but I'm already bored of it.

[​IMG]

9. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

I didn't think it was very original, or smart, deep, or anything like that. It was just a super fun movie to watch. I thought the action and suspense were very well done. I am also a fan of they way Legendary presented its rendition of the King of Monsters, and this movie did it in much the same way, but from another angle. I had a ton of fun watching it and I'm probably gonna watch it again soon.

Yeah, that shit was tough... :/ I have never been one to find any anime to graphic to stomach comfortably, (unlike some live-action stuff which I have a tough time sitting through) but Devilman was legitimately hard to watch without wanting to look away in horror, especially episode 9. With that said, I LOVED that they had the balls to do something like that, (and, in regards to what Bloody_Inferno said, I can't fathom something like that in the 70's) something that barely any other anime out there has the guts to do, and especially not with such a graphic display and in a way that made everything feel so bleak and hopeless; I LOVED the fact that there's an anime out there that is capable of making me feel something like that. I also rreeaaaally liked the way episode 10 ended.

Aaaahhh Kalafina marathon. I need to indulge them more. I haven't had the patience to sit down and listen to them in quite a while, but a part of me really misses them. I watched the first season of Fate/Apocrypha on Netflix, and it was a lot of fun. Not quite up to par with my usual fix of Fate, obviously, but it's certainly satisfying as a fan of the franchise that something like that gets made and that it doesn't suck.

Heaven's Feel on the other hand... as someone who went nuts playing the visual novel, that movie delivered everything that I wanted, and, if their precedent is to go by, I am sure that the next two movies will be even better. At this point, I trust ufotable blindly. Time and again I've had ridiculous expectations of them regarding the Fate universe, and every single time they've surpassed them.

Bloody_Inferno and takotakumi like this.
  10. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

After not watching any anime for a long while I watched KonoSuba. I quite enjoy shorter animes like that.
    Now im watching "Hai to Gensou no Grimgar" Which sorta has the same theme (somehow ending up in a MMO kinda thing) But this one is alot less jokes and more feels.

11. KnightBrolaire

Juni Taisen sucked. The fight scenes were good and some of the characters had interesting back stories, but the ending is so anticlimactic and drawn out, even for a 12 episode series.
    Guess I'll check out devilman crybaby

12. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

So I watched Gurren Lagann for the first time over the last few days (yeah, 11 years late to the party haha). So over the top, so ridiculous but so well executed. Pretty sure I cried at the death of every major character, the feels!

13. KnightBrolaire

holy fuck devilman is awesome. I love the art style. Some of the shots they do are just stunning and of course the gore/copious sex is well executed. Some of the demon designs look like they could have been lifted from Berserk or some japanese HR Giger esque manga. Between this and Castlevania netflix is seriously kicking ass in the anime department.

14. takotakumi

There is a new anime from Trigger called Darling in the Franxx that looks awesome! So far they have released like 2 or 3 eps but from what I saw it looks gewddd

15. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I've been watching Darling in the Franxx, it's pretty good. Huge EVA undertones but EVA is one of my favourites so no complaints at all!

couverdure and takotakumi like this.
  16. NotDonVito

Gotta love thrift store randomness. Now I just need a VCR.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  17. NotDonVito

trying to learn this on guitar, it's a tough one if you don't know finger picking. also fuck photobucket, it was just a picture of some japanese language cardcaptor vhs i bought.

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Watched two episodes of Devilman: Crybaby, and I honestly couldn't care about it because the god damn animation feels so fucking lazy and cheap that it's breaking my ability to be immersed and I keep going "why couldn't they just budget for better quality?" My first experience with Devilman was the OVA's and those things still look great (and just ARE great), but this is something else.

Guess I'll just cut my loses and call it quits since I know it's not going to get better or anything, that's just the style of it for the series

19. KnightBrolaire

Wow, Ronin Warriors does not hold up to my memory of it. The fight scenes are still good but god it's so lame overall. I guess when I was little I had a better tolerance for super cheesy shit.

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Guess that makes two series I can skip over :lol: