Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Alberto7 likes this.
  2. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

^ My sister told me about this the day before you posted it, and I was so sad. Kinda hard now to watch the anime and/or read the manga, or even listen to the wonderful OST, without being reminded of that. It really sucks. :(

3. Michikawa

Michikawa SS.org Regular

My personal favourite of all time is the Rurouni Kenshin OVA which was published as Samurai X in the western world. The art, the story, the music, just perfect. Other favourites include Lone Wolf and the Cub, Haibane Renmei and RahXephon.

KnightBrolaire and Talvituuli like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

5. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

kino
    [​IMG]

also i've been watching Outlaw Star it's really good

6. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

What are some of the best ongoing/finished shows from this year?
    Haven't seen any anime probably since AoT this year haha
    TV series took a toll on me

7. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I'd give Re:CREATORS a shot. It's an original anime by Rei Hiroe (Black Lagoon) and Ei Aoki (Fate/Zero), about a mysterious girl bringing various fictional characters to the real world as a part of her plan to destroy the world due to the death of her creator.

The premise is pretty unique and full of potential, but personally I found the ending to be disappointing though quite a lot of people liked it, so it's up to you to decide if you'd like it or not.

The soundtrack is done by Hiroyuki Sawano (who also did the soundtracks for Attack on Titan and a lot of anime) and it's one of the highest points of the series IMO.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    takotakumi likes this.
  8. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

Looks like Dragon Ball Super is ending with episode 131 on March 25th. Some series from like the sixties called Kitaro is coming back on April 1st and taking Super's 9AM timeslot. One of the animators tweeted that episode 126 was going to be his last time as an animation director.

This sucks. I've been excited to see the new episodes every Saturday night since I caught up during the Future Trunks/Goku Black arc.

9. NotDonVito

That sucks. Doesn't even feel like it's been on for very long. I think the first 2 arcs being movie recaps incapacitates this feeling. I hope the last arc has something to do with U6(if it gets wished back by Vegeta Azul). He still has to go to Sadala.

Ginyu Force OVA is what I really want though.

10. pastanator

Tournament of Power is the last arc. The series is apparently over in eight episodes. My thing is this seems really really abrupt. It’s like in November Akira Toriyama said he’s enjoying it and he has plenty of ideas, in December they’re like “new dragonball movie in 2018 get excited” and then in January it’s “dbs is ending in March and we don’t know if it’s coming back”

Like how can you introduce an entire multiverse full of cool characters just to not do anything with them?

11. NotDonVito

I guess they just weren't making sales goals for merch and things like that. I mean when I was a kid, Wal-Mart had a huge Dragonball Z section in the toys, but now there's like one Beerus figure at Walgreens, and what kid is gonna want or even know who the heck that is. I think the show coming on at a later time slot means they were marketing more towards nostalgic adults. When I went to see Resurrection of F there was only one kid with his mom in the theater. Kids make a huge difference in the success of any shonen, since they are supposed to be the primary demographic.

I'm not sure about Japan, but I feel the adult otaku probably spend more on those seasonal moe shows.

12. pastanator

As far as i can tell from looking into the DBZ reddit and this one guy who translates a bunch of Dragonball stuff on twitter Herms98 its just because the series that's replacing it, Kitaro, is a huge part of Japanese culture(like its their version of the muppets or mickey mouse) and DBS's 9 AM time slot is the same time as the one Kitaro's always had. Like that timeslot's always been either Dragonball or Kitaro except when it was Toriko. All FujiTV is saying is that "its not like the franchise is over" and Totoyaro who does the manga said he's not allowed to say anything.

13. Alberto7

Aaaww man, that would suck BIG time if they ended it just like that. From what I've read, it's not a cancellation per se, just a time slot replacement, and they haven't allotted a new one yet for DBS. No official word of a cancellation has surfaced, so I still have hopes.

As far as current Dragon Ball merch sales go, action figures and the like don't have much of a market anymore, I don't think. At least not anywhere near what they did in the 90's and early 2000's. From what I see, parents these days give their children more interactive toys, what with micro-computers taking over the world and what not.

That said, I am still enjoying DBS immensely (and now more than ever), and I still look forward to every Sunday.

-------------------------------

So, let's talk about Devilman: Crybaby. The thumbnail on Netflix caught my eye for a few days every time I opened it to watch Friends while I cooked or cleaned the kitchen. (Yes, I basically have Friends on repeat in the background at any given time.) I eventually caved, and I was not disappointed. Holy shit was it weird and out there, but absolutely epic. And I mean epic in the whole sense of the word. Weird art, questionable and hard-to-digest content, mutilated bodies and blood everywhere, awesome and weird score, donkey-moan masturbation scenes... and it's a Netflix exclusive. Reminds me of the good ol' times when MTV showed the Aeon Flux cartoon and, once that was done, I switched the channel to Locomotion/Animax to watch Ghost in the Shell followed by Evangelion. I hope Netflix can manage to make stuff like this a bit more commonplace in an era when anime, while not bad to my tastes, has become somewhat same-y.

How about Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters? Came out a couple of days ago on Netflix, too. Produced by Toho and animated by Polygon Pictures (same people who did Knights of Sidonia and Ajin.) It was fuckin' awesome, I thought. The atmosphere and mood of the movie goes well in line with what little I know of the Godzilla universe. It was basically one giant action scene, and the twist at the end is motherspankin' humongous. (Literally.) I really, really enjoyed that one.

And now the biggie... the one I spent literal years waiting for. The reason I tried (and succeeded) to make my girlfriend fall in love with Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works before it came out: the first Heaven's Feel movie. We went to watch it together last night at the cinema. It was friggin' bananas. I thought it was an AWESOME adaptation of the first portion of that route. Of course, it won't make sense unless the viewer has already watched AT LEAST Unlimited Blade Works. It just dives right in. If you can get past that, it was fantastic. Everything I was expecting from ufotable. My girlfriend got so into it she was literally rocking back and forth and screaming at every thing that made a loud noise.

takotakumi and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  14. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Ahhhh, so glad someone watched both Devilman and Godzilla, because they're both on my to watch list; Devilman gets the top spot since I saw that film WAY too early, and it made me realize how great anime can be. Friggin, anime titties, limbs getting ripped off, blood everywhere, swearing, it was awesome; and followed up with Berserk, which didnt help at all :lol:

15. Alberto7

Hahaha yeah, Devilman just took all the bad cliches anime gets criticized for by mean girls, high school jocks, and rabidly conservative parents, and put them all together with a sign that says "FUCK YOU TOO" right next to it, then actually came out the other side looking all cool and sleek.

16. Bloody_Inferno

It's 3am here, but after binging through the first 5 episodes of DEVILMAN Crybaby, I just can't help myself. A pleasant surprise and my new crowning exhibit whenever I want to yell the phrase "THIS IS HOW YOU DO A REMAKE!"

I'm quite familiar with most of the incarnations of the property, the original manga, the extremely watered down OVA and anime series (the latter moreso to be shown to kids), and that terrible live action movie, and that bizarre 1973 crossover film with Mazinger Z (look it up). But I had no idea this was made let alone a Netflix exclusive of all things. But cheers Alberto for the heads up. :D

Before I blather on, I have to address this by bringing up Go Nagai. The guy is up there with Osamu Tezuka as an anime godfather as far as I and lot of fans are concerned. He invented the giant robots piloted by humans genre with Mazinger Z, but more infamously, he also was the beginning of the erotic and sexual humor themes as well as graphic violence in manga with Harenchi Gakuen/Shameless School. So anyone in this thread who discovered anime as an adult alternative to Saturday morning cartoons or kids anime (me being one of them), we all have Nagai to thank for that. :lol: It's also no wonder he's highly reverend by other eccentrics like Hideaki Anno, Suda 51 and Gen Urobuchi among others.

Anyway, what the makers of Crybaby have done was embrace all of that and bring it to a new generation in the same vein as how a lot of us discovered the mature anime as an alterantive. That took a large pair cast iron balls an a ton of polish, because this is the most faithful incarnation to the manga. The gore, ultra violence explicit sex and masturbation, all brought intact. Though there's some big changes, a lot of them due to the modern setting. Smartphones, GPS, USBs and the liberal freestyle rap are all used in the narrative.

The simplicity of the animation works here, and it felt refreshing they went with this more surreal style. It makes all the different scenes with purpose (albeit jarring for those not familiar with the franchise, and definitely for newcomers who stumbled into this). The devils/demons look like Saturday morning renditions of Dark Souls/Bloodborne bosses with a neon twist, and I quite liked that. The soundtrack is fantastic, carrying the neon gothic theme with the bouncy Persona-esque moments of the daytime and school scenes. And I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when a remix of the original Devilman No Uta started playing. :hbang:

What I took out of DEVILMAN Crybaby is that it's made with a lot of love of the source material, but without over smothering it to allow some new changes and concepts. It's a remake by anime fans, for anime fans, and done right. I'm sure Crybaby will win a legion of new fans to the medium.

...or at least get completely grossed out from everything. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Alberto7 likes this.
  17. Bloody_Inferno

...and finished off the last 5 episodes of DEVILMAN Crybaby. Yep, everything I posted above still stands. :)

As the episodes roll on, it became more apparent to me that this adaptation really was a labor of love from anime fans to present to anime fans. The original theme song I mentioned earlier (hearing it the second time was a serious emotional punch in the gut, well done :yesway:), the meta insertion of Devilman manga/anime ephemera in the Makimura household (the TV series exists in this universe), the 'blink and you'll miss' implication of Devilman Lady's existence. It's the sort of subtle fanservice that's done well that I haven't seen since Street Fighter Assassin's Fist.

I know there's a danger for those who can be 'too in love' with the source material to remake it and falling short (Warcraft movie), but in this case I thought the big changes worked better (see said theme song above). Some in particular are story based and without wishing to spoil, works better from a narrative perspective. And I certainly don't miss the sideburns. :lol:

If there is a flaw for the new series, it's maybe for guys like me who are well familiar with the 40 year old property: we know what's going to happen, so elements of surprises are reduced to mostly how the reboot will approach it, it takes away from the immersion at times. And it does slow down around the middle when it becomes the "monster of the week" song and dance routine, breaking the flow. But you can't really begrudge Crybaby when it's original story was one of the pioneers that invented that trope. And the final act is still as poignant as it was in the manga. It still preoccupies my head and it'll probably be for a while, just as the original did.

Two posts worth of TL/DR: Everyone in this thread should see DEVILMAN Crybaby.

Alberto7 and couverdure like this.
  18. ah_graylensman

ah_graylensman SS.org Regular

I watched this over the weekend and thought it was just OK. It seemed like a standard sci-fi anime pilot with a global search-and-replace of "aliens" with "Godzilla". The reveal at the end is pretty good though, and their design for the Big G is an interesting combination of the Legendary/Monsterverse and Shin designs.

Alberto7 likes this.
  19. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Started watching Devilman Crybaby yesterday and I'm already on Ep 7 hehe its sooo good!
    Question to the people who watched the originals...was it always this etchi? haha
    I had no idea it was so "adult" themed, I was expecting a much different tone but I love how dark and crazy this is.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

starting up on Saint Seiya and Ronin Warriors. Haven't watched either since I was a kid and it was the lame english dubbed/censored versions, so it should be fun to see the original versions.