Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

HAH! Having wifi at home really is a thing of beauty. I missed it a lot. I watched the first episode of Touken Ranbu. Somehow I'd missed the fact that it's an adaptation of that card game my sister and my roommates used to play all the goddamn time a couple years ago. I hated the thing. :lol: The Yaoi Swords, they called it. :rofl: The show looks very good though! I'm still not 100% sold on the story, but it looks promising, and the art is gorgeous. I love the setting, too. I may just follow this one. Maybe.

I didn't even know this was a thing. I'll have to watch it! Sadly, I never played any of the Castlevania games. :eek: Which is strange considering I'm a huge Metroid nut.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Yeah, it's based on that Yaoi sword card game. I'm finding the non ufotable series rather insufferable where even Kenji Kawai's music isn't saving it (it's all the Ranma style ultra kawaii kind), so I'll just stick with the new one. It's not bad... I am questioning myself as to why I'm plowing through a bunch of Yaoi samurai anime. Yeah sure I know all the historical names and all, but seeing Hijikata's short sword in the form of a yaoi twink is a little odd. :lol:

Dude... :squint: Administer Symphony Of The Night and Super Castlevania 4 immediately!

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I loved it. There were some really nice nods to the games in the show too. I think the brutality was done really well, it really enforces the atmosphere of dread and doom. Granted seeing the one demon run off with a baby in its mouth was a little surprising, but other than that I don't think it was over the top. My biggest complaint is how there's only a few episodes. I really loved how they gave Vlad some motive for unleashing the demons and the religious commentary was nice too.

4. Alberto7

Aw man, just watched the episode where they all introduce themselves. It's a cool aspect of the series, I never knew that's how it went. Also, whenever there's Shinsengumi involved, I have a bit of a nerdgasm.

To cap it off, the ED is by Kalafina. I think I'm sticking with this anime for now. :lol:

Osu senpai!

5. Bloody_Inferno

I've yet to see the Castlevania series (it's based on Trevor Belmont's arc so I'll definitely be catching this at some point), but I've heard it's been good reviews across the board. But with the 2 exceptions: one already mentioned being only 4 episodes. The other, the big one: is the music.

Pre Lords of Shadow series, Castlevania's music has been one of the most important aspects of the entire franchise. And I've heard that the music is rather, generic orchestral suspense type affair (I guess similar to Lords of Shadow incidentally). If that's the case, that kinda bums me out... actually, that bums me out a hell of a lot. :(

The overtly cutesy turn off was more towards the Hanmaru series. Trying to watch both Kagetsugi and Hanmaru together was just way too jarring for me. I suppose despite not watching much lately, I'm getting my anime overload fix playing Persona 5 obsessively.

Like yourself, I'll be sticking with Kegetsugi. Ufotable are always reliably consistent. And of course...

Sidebar: You have no idea low long I waited for that last gif to materialise. :lol: :wub:

To reiterate, Symphony of the Night is one of those games you gotta play before you die. Yes, it invented the Metroidvania genre by aping Super Metroid with a Castlevania pastiche but it did it so damn well. It's still the best Castlevania game to date. Super Castlevania 4 is awesome because it's (arguably) the best of the series where you play a Belmont (largely to the whip mechanics). Aria/Dawn of Sorrow are good too.

These are also good reminders of those ancient times when Konami were one a respectable company. Those were the days...

6. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Right?! The cool thing about Castlevania's soundtrack was the way they clearly drew influence from Rock and Metal. Like "if only we had the technology, we'd be using real guitars..." and then Symphony of the Night happened, and they totally did.

You'd think an anime would be the perfect opportunity to put together an over-the-top awesome soundtrack with enough gothy vampire J-Rock to make Versailles blush.

7. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

So, to ask a million-dollar question... anyone have a suggestion for something vaguely similar to Attack on Titan? Used to watch anime more than 10 years ago but fell out of it, recently have been enjoying it again mostly due to AoT. I've seen most of the usual classics, just started watching Claymore which seems decent (just wondering if it'll get more off the ground), but looking for anything potentially similar.

Apologies if this has been asked/answered, searching didn't give me an answer and this thread is rather long :confused:

8. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Kind of similar is kotetsuyo no Kabaneri.
    Its a steam-punk samurai era setting where there's "metal zombies" and only way to kill them is by piercing their iron core (something like that)
    It reminds me of AoT due to the steam-punkish gear, hordes of enemies, cities inside walls, and the main characters having some sort of "ability" like Eren or other others on AoT. I never got to finish it though :v but yeah it vagely reminded me of that

auntyethel likes this.
  9. Alberto7

Good to have you back watching anime! I myself drop out for months at a time, and then inevitably come back to it. Dropped out of it for about 8 years too, during my teens, and came back to it starting my 20s.

There are quite a few anime that resemble Attack on Titan. Both anime that served as inspiration for it, and others that have tried to copy what it did.

• First recommendation, even though I have not watched it but hear great things about it, would be Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri (a.k.a. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress), which is apparently a straight up copy of AoT's premise, but with zombies instead of titans, and supposedly just as good.
    • You're already watching Claymore.
    • I'd have to also recommend Sidonia no Kishi (a.k.a. Knights of Sidonia) which I personally loved. This one is a bit more divisive in that it has heavy use of CGI and can be slightly awkward, but I didn't find it hard to grow past that. It is much like Attack on Titan, but in space, and the enemy is even stranger and more unrelatable than the titans themselves. It's also a Netflix show, so you'll find it there.
    • You say you've watched most of the classics, so I'll assume you've watched this one. Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995), despite being this old, I feel was one of the main inspirations behind Attack on Titan. It can be quite a divisive show, but it is an undeniable pioneer, and is in a genre of its own, I would say. It really should be watched if only just to understand where half of anime comes from. :lol: Personally, I like it perhaps more than I should, given that I've been watching the show since I was about 7 or 8 years old. (Which I guess would explain a lot about me... :ugh::lol:)

I actually don't think it had been asked before. At least not this directly. And ask away; as one of SSO's resident animu nuts, I'm quite proud of how far this thread has come! :wub:

auntyethel and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  10. takotakumi

Man I love the show so much. I kind of hated it was CGI at first but that I easily got past that at how great that show is.
    This show served my appetite for a Dark/Mecha series since Evangelion OVAs never resumed...

The same people behind that is doing Blame? The animation looks alooooot similar

Alberto7 likes this.
  11. Alberto7

I remember seeing angela live two years ago (the band behind the show's first opening song) right after the second season had been released, and I remember losing my shit when they played Kishin Koshinkyoku. They also covered A Cruel Ange's Thesis (Evangelion's OP) as their encore. I am normally more of a Kalafina guy, but my God that lady could sing, holy shit.

12. Bloody_Inferno

What Alberto said regarding anime similar to Attack On Titan. :yesway:

I guess I'll add God Eater as well. A bit lighter on the intensity but in the same similarity as Koutetsujou no Kanbaneri also happens to be. Blue Gender is another one I'll throw in (for more of the classic 90s flavour). I hear Ajin is also another good recommendation, but I've yet to see it. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann gets thrown around as similar too, though the goofiness is through the roof to be near complete contrast. Still worth it if you're in the mood.

13. Alberto7

^ Hah, funny you should mention Ajin. I'm starting the first episode as I type this. My sister has been raving on and on about it for months, and her recommendations have an extremely good track record with me, so I'm finally giving it a shot.

I keep saying I'll finish God Eater and I never do, :lol: gosh.

14. Alberto7

Okay, I'm on episode 3 of Ajin and this shit looks.so.DOPE! It's gotten me hyped from the very first 5 minutes. Also, contrary to what apparently a lot of people think, the CG works SO well here. Character design is amazing, and the Ajin looks badass. Really getting Parasyte: The Maxim vibes off of this so far.

I also found out it's made by Polygon Pictures, who made Knights of Sidonia (which is also another Netflix show, like Ajin). Their CG was alright in Sidonia season 1, it got MUCH better on season 2, and it seems they've made a craft of it with Ajin. Also, this brings me to answer this question:

Yes, I just looked into Polygon Pictures, and they make Blame! too. Never seen that, though.

takotakumi and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  15. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I did see Evangelion, back in the day where the entire show would fit onto one CD, all the episodes being like 50x50 Realplayer files :fever: Still didn't detract from how good it was.

Have actually downloaded Kabaneri, will be what I watch after Claymore (time always being a damn issue).

Will check out Knights as well, looks like it could be cool. I'm not too phased by CGI like I used to be.

Thanks, will check all of em out too! Actually saw Gurren Lagann back in the day.

16. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

I'm gonna be Captain Request again! Considering I now have some darker, sci-fi steampunky things to watch... Anything like Samurai Champloo? Something funny without being Ecchi or cutesy, something adventurey and fighty, not too heavy on themes or darkness.

17. takotakumi

For funny and adventurous Fairy Tail (fucking Happy haha) and last year's Ushio to Tora come in mind. I havent watched fairy tail in ages but I found it funny, but at the same time I don't really watch gag stuff. Both of those shows are adventure/fight with some gag added in between.

auntyethel likes this.
  18. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I definitely recommend Knights of Sidonia!

...But, just realise, it's currently suffering from that Firefly problem where they kind of stopped making it before actually finishing the story. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll pick it back up, cause, as good as the Manga is, I didn't bother finishing it just cause the art style makes it a little difficult to follow what's going on.

auntyethel likes this.
  19. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

You guys are awesome, I now have some serious watching to do :cheers:

20. Bloody_Inferno

Well now. I'll have to pry myself out of Persona 5 to check this out then. :D :lol: